Pond Boss
Hi,

I have head that there are desirable and undesirable cultivars of arrowhead.
I have wild arrowhead all around my pond, and it is spreading. Can someone please look at the attached pictures and tell me if this is a plant I want to control, or just let it spread and proliferate.

Thank you!

Attached picture arrowH1.jpg
Attached picture arrowH2.jpg
In my experience your specie of arrowhead(AH), there are several species, is a better plant than your cattails. The AH will not grow as deep, will spread, but not spread is fast, will not grow as tall, and will not create as much dead muck fodder as the cattails. Both provide some small fish and invertebrate habitat. The AH and cattails will stabilize the shoreline and both consume nutrients tending to compete with the filamentous algae. Keep both managed and under control with some glysophate product such as ShoreKlear-Plus sprayed now in late summer.
Thank you for the informative reply. I have some glyphosate now and I will do as you advise.
I don't see an out-of-control situation there.. Maybe Bill sees something I don't but I'd be targeting the cattail, not the AH.
That is a BEAUTIFUL patch of American pondweed, I'm jealous..
Thank you for the compliment. Another member told me that too. For now I will just control the cattails. I heard that they attract muskrats because they are their favorite food source.

Thanks!
I agree with Snipe - I did not intend to imply the arrowhead needed to be controlled at this point. Control of AH is easier compared to cattails. AH are much much better to have than cattails.
I personally eradicate any cattail that emerges but leave my arrowhead and duck potato alone ( as somewhat similar looking plant).
Thanks!
© Pond Boss Forum