Pond Boss
Posted By: Augie what is this one called - 07/16/19 01:46 PM
I've poked around the interwebs quite a bit and I can't figure it out.

It grows in very shallow water. Only around the edge of the pond.

Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: what is this one called - 07/16/19 02:04 PM
Looks like some variety of arrowhead. Not sure tho.
Posted By: Custom 68 Re: what is this one called - 07/16/19 02:29 PM
It could possibly be water hyacinth but we will let the experts chime in.
Dave
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: what is this one called - 07/16/19 02:57 PM
It could be arrowhead. When my arrowhead sprouts up, they have a more spear shaped leaves, but then start to develop into the flying "V" before they get leaves longer than a couple inches.

It could a be pickerel weed or, maybe, lizard's tail. Either way, keep an eye on it and post some more mature pics, especially if it flowers.

I don't think it's water hyacinth or at least not the floating kind.

If it's pickerel weed (my bet), you are blessed to have it. Especially if you like Arrowhead. They both live in the same locations of the pond and flower nicely.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: what is this one called - 07/16/19 05:44 PM
Flowers would help a lot to verify the correct name. Watch it and get back to us when you see it gets larger and hopefully flowers.
Posted By: RStringer Re: what is this one called - 07/16/19 05:51 PM
The picture shows up as a small box with an x in it. I'm on a work computer so might now have correct software. Anybody know the problem?
Posted By: Custom 68 Re: what is this one called - 07/16/19 05:51 PM
I have some that is similar too so I will post a picture as well to verify if it is the same plant. I hope it will establish at my pond as well.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: what is this one called - 07/16/19 06:19 PM
Originally Posted By: RStringer
The picture shows up as a small box with an x in it. I'm on a work computer so might now have correct software. Anybody know the problem?

Many people here use 3rd party hosts rather than the PondBoss method for photos that are blocked by your big brother.
Posted By: Augie Re: what is this one called - 07/16/19 07:48 PM
Originally Posted By: RStringer

TinyPic has been semi-busted the last few days. I received notice this morning that they are going to be shutting down permanently sometime in 2019.

So I'm going to have to figure out a new place to put my pics.
And edit a lot of posts.
Ugh.
Posted By: Augie Re: what is this one called - 07/16/19 07:53 PM
This pic has newly-sprouted arrowhead and the yet-to-be-identified mystery plant.

I think it's going to take letting it grow some to figure out what it is.

[Linked Image from i1174.photobucket.com]
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: what is this one called - 09/10/19 12:32 AM
Here is a pic of the only bloom to date from some of the mystery plants that you gifted me. I thought it was going to be Water Arum, but the flower has set me back. I am currently at a loss...anybody?

Attached picture Mystery Plant.jpg
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: what is this one called - 09/10/19 04:27 PM
I got it - 99% sure...Heteranthera Reniformis or Kidneyleaf Mud Plantain or Floating Leaf Mud Plantain. Seems to be native to North, Central, and South America, but listed as endangered in Illinois and Ohio and of special concern in Connecticut...

https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=HERE

I haven't seen any bad reviews on it, so all must be good.
Posted By: Augie Re: what is this one called - 09/10/19 06:17 PM
Looks like the same stuff to me. I like it in my pond so far.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: what is this one called - 09/10/19 06:21 PM
One thing I did read about it said that it has a bad time competing with grasses, rushes, and such as they tend to block the sun from getting to these low lying plants which chokes them out.
© Pond Boss Forum