Pond Boss
Posted By: Crstfr Water Lily - 08/27/13 07:09 PM
we had these growing for awhile....then we didn't see them for years... guess who made it back!!!...

not sure what kinda of lily they are.. i looked at allot online but couldn't narrow it down.... thanks for looking...and thanks for the help in advance.

Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Water Lily - 08/27/13 07:40 PM
Looks like American Lotus to me. I'd get after it quick or you'll have them everywhere. Very invasive.
Posted By: Crstfr Re: Water Lily - 08/27/13 07:48 PM
good call.. i think your right!....thanks for your reply... the only place they grow is on the dam, and only on this one pond...hhmm

I've attached another pic.. this is the farthest they get into the pond...you can see how they line the dam..again....its only on this one pond, and only accross the dam...

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Water Lily - 08/27/13 08:29 PM
Lotus will spread pretty fast especially in shallow water. Be watchful and keep herbicide handy.
Posted By: Crstfr Re: Water Lily - 08/28/13 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Lotus will spread pretty fast especially in shallow water. Be watchful and keep herbicide handy.

i shall.. thank you sir!
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Water Lily - 08/29/13 03:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Crstfr
its only on this one pond, and only accross the dam...
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Water Lily - 08/29/13 11:53 AM
That photo sends a shiver down my spine.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Water Lily - 08/29/13 12:27 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
That photo sends a shiver down my spine.

Pic looks just like my place right now. American Lotus was a minor player until this drought. Now, I spray every week. Bill is right on target about it spreading in shallow water.
Posted By: Crstfr Re: Water Lily - 08/29/13 02:04 PM
i'll keep an eye on it for sure.. thanks guys for all your input!!!.. yeah that pic is terrible....
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Water Lily - 08/29/13 02:18 PM
Looks like a job for an ultralight aircraft with a spray rig mounted on it.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Water Lily - 08/29/13 05:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Dudley Landry
Looks like a job for an ultralight aircraft with a spray rig mounted on it.
Ultralight?
I think not! wink grin
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Water Lily - 08/29/13 11:43 PM
Just a little more to go first class!
Glyphosate, Kelly?
Really did a number on the lotus. Very impressive.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Water Lily - 08/30/13 12:30 AM
Glyphosate? Really did a number on the lotus. Very impressive.
Actually, it was HARDBALL - which is an acid 2,4-D formulation, rather than an amine or ester.
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Water Lily - 08/30/13 01:42 AM
Why would the acid be the formulation of choice over the amine or ester?
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Water Lily - 08/30/13 01:52 AM
Amine and ester formulations are derivatives of the acid formulation, which is much more "active" (by weight). That's why the amine and ester formulations list their concentrations of active-ingredient in terms of "acid-equivalent".
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Water Lily - 08/30/13 01:56 AM
Ok Kelly, Hardball was a new one to me. Looking at the MSDS, it's labeled for both aquatic and land use.

So, is Hardball the golden ticket? It seems like it could really cut down on my chemical cache.
Posted By: esshup Re: Water Lily - 08/30/13 01:58 AM
Ya know Kelly, the more I do this stuff, the more I realize the less I know. It's a LOT more complicated than just reading the label. There's a lot of things that the chemcial mfg assume that the applicators know, and that's where all the CEU's come in handy. It's a lot more complicated than just reading the label, mixing and spraying.
Posted By: Dudley Landry Re: Water Lily - 08/30/13 02:21 AM
So the choice was one of potency per unit volume?
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Water Lily - 08/30/13 02:23 AM
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
So, is Hardball the golden ticket?
Unfortunately, there are NO golden tickets, but HARDBALL certainly has a fit when 2,4-D is a suitable approach - and it even contains a very good "in-can" surfactant.
However, many factors come into play when determining which chemistry is most appropriate - or, if ANY chemistry is appropriate for a given situation.
2,4-D, imazapyr, glyphosate, triclopyr, fluridone, imazamox, flumioxazin, diquat, carfentrazone & bispyribac-sodium. That's ten active-ingredients which have aquatic-use registrations under specific brand-names and formulations. Each chemistry possesses certain advantages and disadvantages. A site-matrix is often the only method to weight the pros and cons of the various options to determine which one best suits a given situation. Sometime, none of them have a fit.
Posted By: Kelly Duffie Re: Water Lily - 08/30/13 02:25 AM
So the choice was one of potency per unit volume?
Partially correct, but it gets a little deeper than that (figuratively and literally). I'm not here to push the product, so I'll leave it at that. wink
© Pond Boss Forum