Pond Boss
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Just Added Plants - 04/22/08 05:46 PM
I just added plants to a wetlands area on our 5 acre pond. Pickereal, Water Lillies, Arrowhead, Sweet Flag. I put in a small area, 4-5 plugs each to see how they do and to help with identification. Then I plan to transplant and add more provided they do OK.

Scott

Posted By: GW Re: Just Added Plants - 04/22/08 06:25 PM
Hey Scott. Where did you get them and what was the cost?

I've transplanted some bulrush from my neighbor's pond and I've been digging up some dixie iris too. I plan on collecting some of the local water lilly and arrowhead.

Good luck.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Just Added Plants - 04/22/08 09:17 PM
GW- I got them from Holland Bulb Farm and Aqua Mart. I just searched the Internet and found these sites. They were about 5 bucks per sprout/bulb. A bit pricey, but I wanted to get some established so I can easily identify them. Local experts say you can get them (Pickereal, Arrowhead, Sweet Flag) from ditches, but I didn't know what I was looking for....... I want to add quite a bit more as we have two marshy areas on our pond.

Scott
Posted By: Makoclay Re: Just Added Plants - 05/04/08 08:58 PM
what do those look like after they are full grown? Do they bloom? I am new to all of this and don't really understand the benefits of these plants.

Thanks
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Just Added Plants - 05/14/08 03:53 AM
Makoclay- if you search photos on any search engine there are photos of all of them. I don't have any actual photos yet since they were all small plugs. We have two areas in our pond that are marshy areas (6-20") deep and we just wanted to add for wildlife. They are all pretty cool looking plants.

Scott
Posted By: TEXAS715 Re: Just Added Plants - 05/19/08 05:48 PM
May I suggest looking in your local craigslist. I had someone here give me over $400 with of plants for free. They had a backyard pond and where splitting the bulbs and cuttings.
© Pond Boss Forum