Pond Boss
Posted By: Brad346 Winter aeration - 03/25/21 01:39 AM
So my 2 year old pond had a plant explosion this year. I raked and raked and raked. Used some chemicals in spots. The result was I lost most if not all my trout and a few bigger bluegill this winter.

I’m going to use more chemicals to manage around my dock and swim area, but I also have some triploid grass carp on order. I can usually add water to my pond in the winter, which adds a lot of dissolved oxygen and usually prevents winter kill. I couldn’t this year due to a broken pipe.

So thinking about winter aeration. Plant and algae control. Probably have to be solar aeration. Any tips/help/ideas.
Posted By: esshup Re: Winter aeration - 03/25/21 02:46 AM
If you have access to electricity, and can trench an airline to the pond I would do that vs. solar. We have run line from a compressor to a pond that was close to 1/2 mile from the compressor.
Posted By: Brad346 Re: Winter aeration - 03/27/21 02:35 AM
How loud are compressors? I’ve never been near them.

It is about 400 yards from power to the pond, through some nasty rocky terrain. Lots of trees I don’t want to hurt. I ask about the sound generated by a pump because we are Airbnb hosts. The peace and quiet here is a selling point.
Posted By: esshup Re: Winter aeration - 03/27/21 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by Brad346
How loud are compressors? I’ve never been near them.

It is about 400 yards from power to the pond, through some nasty rocky terrain. Lots of trees I don’t want to hurt. I ask about the sound generated by a pump because we are Airbnb hosts. The peace and quiet here is a selling point.

If it is a Vertex system and you have the sound deadening kit it is no louder than a person talking with an inside voice.
© Pond Boss Forum