Pond Boss
Posted By: KneeDeep Risk of aerating an old pond - 03/13/20 12:41 AM
I'm still digging through all the threads here, but wanted to get this out while I continue my search. I recently called a local pond supply shop to ask about their aeration systems and they advised against installing one. I'm on an 8 acre pond built in the 70's. I'm after a healthier pond overall, which has a lot of weed growth and algae. The warning was about kicking up cyanobacteria on the bottom and causing a bigger issue. The recommendation was spot treating, that's it. I know there's got to be discussion in here already about aerating an old pond and this specific concern, but I haven't found it yet. Anyone have this problem? Is it a worse before it gets better type of deal? Thanks!
Posted By: KneeDeep Re: Risk of aerating an old pond - 03/13/20 02:30 AM
I've seen plenty on the risk of aerating too much too fast, poisonous gases, and oxygen depletion. Perhaps the stories of harmful algae blooms are another result of the same problem. I am part of a lake association, and I'm trying to put together a recommendation for a healthier lake. I wouldn't forgive myself if I spent all the association's money on a big aeration system that made things worse. The more I read the better I feel about aeration still being a good solution, but introducing it very slowly.
Posted By: davecz Re: Risk of aerating an old pond - 05/11/20 02:54 AM
where in Indiana are you located? Maybe try getting a hold of someone more experienced. Pond supply company might just want to sell the spot treatment
Posted By: Freg Re: Risk of aerating an old pond - 05/12/20 12:31 PM
I'm surprised a pond store told you not to buy their product. I have a pond as old as yours but much smaller and started running aeration to it for the first time last year. From what I've read and my limited experience, I do think you need to be worried about running it as long as you start gradually ( 15 minutes the first day and. Continue doubling it) and monitor the pond to make sure nothing unusual is happening in response to the introduction of the aeration.
Posted By: KneeDeep Re: Risk of aerating an old pond - 05/18/20 03:34 PM
I'm located in Brown County. I would love to speak with anyone that has experience, or have professional consultation regarding the management of this lake. Recommendations?
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Risk of aerating an old pond - 05/18/20 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by KneeDeep
I'm located in Brown County. I would love to speak with anyone that has experience, or have professional consultation regarding the management of this lake. Recommendations?

Most definitely -- Call Scott with Hoosier Pond Pros. Awesome dude. Pond Boss approved.

http://hoosierpondpros.com/
© Pond Boss Forum