Pond Boss
Posted By: Andy Jacob Optimal aeration of well inlet - venturi? - 10/09/03 10:07 PM
Our primary water source is a 330 gpm inlet via a 6" pipe. Having studied the wisdom of the Pondboss omni media, I understand that well water contains no dissolved oxygen. Our inlet was relocated to the North end of our 9 acre pond a few years ago to provide current to the pond and improve the water quality of that end of the pond (outflow is at the South end into a 800' canal that empties into our 6 acre pond). I had been thinking of simply putting riprap under the inlet to agitate the water and introduce DO. A friend has suggested a venturi may be more effective. Can anyone give a nod to either method? If recommending the venturi, can you recommend a source for one for a 6" pipe? Thanks.
Do the riprap.
Breaks water surface tension, exposes more water to air, and adds minerals from rocks, if needed.
The more water meeting air, the more oxygen dissolves into water.
Bob , am having a well drilled at this time . am planning to spray the water into the air and let it splash back into the pond . do you think this will aeriate the well water good enough ? Harvey
Depends on volume. Less than 75 gallons per minute, yes. More? Maybe not. How much water does your driller project?
Bob - I think the well will pump apprx. 55 to 65 gpm's so will poobably work out . will also hook up a yard sprinkler system . need some grass to cover that east tx. saaaaaand. Thanks Harvey
Posted By: Torchy Re: Optimal aeration of well inlet - venturi? - 01/23/04 12:54 PM
Andy, I posted this on another thread, saw your question on venturis...try this link, it details a "do it youself" venturi

http://www.koi.com.my/forum/KOI_Talk_C1/..._DIY_man_P2707/
I bought a venturi from this website: http://www.mazzei.net/agriculture/index.html
I was considering to make a fountain or splash my well water over rocks for aeration, but I did not want to have freezing problems in winter. My water source cycles off & on frequently since it comes from the discharge of my geothermal/ ground source heat pump, so the discharge pipe can freeze up if exposed. I think this inexpensive venturi was a good solution for me. I keep it about 5 foot deep so I get some mixing and water circulation. The bubbles are not extremely small but I get 0.5 scfm of free air for the 5 gpm water discharge.
© Pond Boss Forum