Pond Boss
Posted By: Eastland Running Electricity in Brown County Texas - 06/13/08 12:08 AM
I REALLY want to aerate my new pond (still dry) is about 600' from the power lines running down the country road bordering my property. Do the electric companys run from the closest post, or does the nearest post need to have a transformer? Also, what are reasonable rates per foot, and how do they figure how many poles you need?
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Running Electricity in Brown County Texas - 06/13/08 01:47 PM
I had power run five years ago, they put in two post and a transformer. The power company just tied into the easiest route from the existing line. I just called them, the came out and measured than gave me an estimate..One thing, they do not put in your meter pole, you can do that yourself of get an electrician..The power company will then inspect it and install the meter. My cost was around $1200 for the two post and meter post..it has gone up since. AT 600', you will need four or five poles and they will probably put a transformer on the last pole before you meter pole.
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Running Electricity in Brown County Texas - 06/13/08 01:54 PM
I want to correct myself, they supply and sink the meter pole, you have to put the meter box on the pole itself before they sink the pole...its been five years ago
Eastland...

I have a Co-op power company and they ran my electricity for free. I just had to buy the meter pole for $400 from a hardware store and sink it. They told me they would run the wire to the meter, install poles and transformers, etc. for nothing. The catch was that they only do it once per parcel. Any additional runs I have to pay for. This was in June of 2003. If it was me and I had to pay for it, I would look at the additional cost to have them run it underground. I will look better for sure.
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Running Electricity in Brown County Texas - 06/17/08 06:10 PM
Huh?, is that Bluebonnet co-op?...did you have any additional poles added...I had to pay for the poles...this was a first run...my neighbor was is installing power this week and it will be about $3500...that is Bluebonnet and a first run also. we are just south of you in Lee Co.
I use Navasota Valley Co-op and have been pleased so far. They may have altered practices with the cost of copper and lumber going up so much. You can always call Navasota Valley and ask them and then maybe Bluebonnet will cut you a better deal. Let me know what you find out.
Posted By: Randal Re: Running Electricity in Brown County Texas - 06/18/08 04:08 PM
We are in the process of running electricity to our property in Red River county near Paris, Texas. We had to use Lamar County Electric Coop. We were required to mount our own pole and get easements signed from all the property owners that were between the nearest pole and our property. The cost is going to be $3.40 per foot. We need to run the line about 5280 feet from the nearest pole. So do the math (5280 x 3.40 = 17,592). Ouch! Believe it or not that is good deal. I had my paper work in process before they raised the rates to $7.80 a foot, so they grandfathered me in. It is hard to comprehend that only spending 17 - 18 K is defined as a good deal.
Randal...

That cost is most likely due to the cost of copper nowadays. Copper is running around $3 a pound for SCRAP. If you go to a store and price a foot of the gauge wires they are running to your property, it is probably more than $3. You are getting a fantastic deal.
Posted By: Randal Re: Running Electricity in Brown County Texas - 06/18/08 05:42 PM
I also priced going with a combination solar/wind system, but the cost was close to the same and I never found a vendor who made me feel real comfortable regarding my questions around the long term maintenance of the system. I am just happy I was grandfathered in and was able to lock in the 3.40 per foot price for overhead power.
Solar/wind is a good combination and the system typically lasts at least 20 years if the upkeep is done. Solar panels are guaranteed for 20 years and the bearings in a windmill will last forever if they are kept lubricated. The only things you would have to worry about are periods of low wind with cloudy days, acts of God, and battery upkeep. The batteries will usually last 15-20 years as well. You also have to severely limit your use of power to make this system work most of the time. Being "off grid" can be satisfying, but having the power lines hooked up when you need them is good for piece of mind.
Eastland...

http://www.grit.com/article/2008/05/Solar-Solutions.html

This is an article from Grit magazine about using solar and wind if you want to read it. Enjoy.
I have been told that the reason you are seeing the cost of getting power run in is solely due to deregulation of the power companies. Unless you had to run power a very long ways they would do it for free because they were going to recouped their investment by you paying for electricity each month. These days that is not the case because you can buy your juice from anyone and they may or may not own the power lines in your area. It is my understanding that a lot of the installs that are now off loaded to independent contractors.
Don't forget that the cost of copper is way, way up.
I really appreciate the responses and cost variances, you can't go in unarmed to an expense like this...they will NEVER tell you how to spend less money. It looks like the only power lines in the area are from American Electric Power, formerly West Texas Utilities. I'm in no real hurry and hope to get specifics on how they charge for installation, any info on AEP hookup charges would be greatly appreciated.
Eastland, if you know anybody who knows anybody who works in installation at the power company, pull all the strings you can to get info. 20+ years ago, when we hooked up, my old scoutmaster knew that we would pay through the nose for a 200 amp service - but that they would install a 400 amp service for free.

We got the 400 amp service.
All co-ops are different. I recently ran electricity and it was not a pleasant experience. They are a co-op but they are also a monopoly for power in their particular area. I didn't have an opportunity because I live overseas, but I wish I had looked more into solar power before I committed to them running their lines.
Eastland...

Any update on your situation?
Eastland...

Any update on your situation?
Yes, I have to call their customer service department to give them additional information before they will answer my questions. I'm calling them tomorrow to find out more...
Keep us updated so we can keep advising. Remember, knowledge is power. Too bad we can't run our houses off of it.

Recently ran power to the pavillion next to new pond. Cooke CO Elec ran 180' underground secondary & 250' above ground, new pole & transformer for $1184.00. I got the meter from them & built a meter & breaker box stand, set meter & breaker box, wired them together & they hooked up their wire.. Seems like most rural co-ops will negotiate costs if you are nice & let them know you are doing the work yourself & not made of money

Grim news, AEP (American Electric Power) gave me "a ballpark estimate for the installation of 7.2kV overhead primary would be around $8.00/ft for a straight line from point A to point B. If there are any angles then the cost is around $8.50/ft. You would be required to push the right of way if needed."

Any input? Is that realistic...I paid $837 to run electricity approx. 180 feet in 1997. One of the sayings I tend to agree with is "go with the times"...I'm likely to pay it soon, but what is 7.2kV overhead primary???
My rural Co-Op installed ours for free, but I did grant them 2 easements to shorten runs to adjoining properties.
 Originally Posted By: Eastland
what is 7.2kV overhead primary???

That should be the last leg of the company's lines that they run from the main line (like on the road, at my house) to the final transformer that drops the voltage down to 220v for you to hook your pole and power box up to.
If the electric run is going to a home that will actually USE the juice, the electric company sees a customer. If it terminates at a pole or garage, why would they want to cover the cost of installation? Co-ops are normally cheaper for installation and the subsequent power use is more expensive. Co-ops also have to answer to a smaller and more focused board of directors. Each new customer is a bit higher in profile. For this reason alone, scrutiny of return-on-investment is elevated.
-
I have to pull juice about 2300 feet; it's a co-op. We are going underground. I am going to have it estimated in the near future...letcha know.
Brettski don't waist your money under ground. Power line right of ways thru wooded areas make great places to ambush and shoot deer.
Of course I'm talking camera but you knew that right?
They won't clear a right-of-way strip for burial? All he'd have to do is keep it cleared.
 Originally Posted By: rockytopper
Brettski don't waist your money under ground. Power line right of ways thru wooded areas make great places to ambush and shoot deer.
-
...of course I'm talking camera but you knew that right?

Yeah, my itchy fingered, orange clad neighbors would really appreciate that decision.
-
-
Theo asks
 Quote:
They won't clear a right-of-way strip for burial? All he'd have to do is keep it cleared.

I had the power guru walk the parcel with me before we even brought in the first dozer to start clearing for the driveway into the pond area. I planned to run the power along the driveway, right from jumpstreet. He told me to leave 10' clear of whichever edge of the DW I was going to run it on. We did. In fact, after we were done, I called him back to walk it to make sure he was OK with the entire stretch. He picked out about 6 or 8 more trees that were "too close to the electric run for comfort". We plucked those dudes out, too, when I had the all the equipment in doing the pond. We're all set. Now, all it takes is cash....no biggie, right?
Thanks Theo and everyone else, I'll meet the electric guy when I visit my property next month when dove season opens. I will be trying the Brettski approach to see what the $$$ difference is for above and below ground. I'm thinking above ground isn't too bad...I envision shooting a few doves off the wires, while I'm sitting in camp, drinking a cold brew, and smoking a brisket over mesquite \:\) Heck, let's add a few bacon/jalepeno wrapped doves to the mix...life is good!
Eastland Don't even kiddingly say you'll shoot a dove off a line!!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!!!

Dove are federally protected migratory game birds and can only be shot IN FLIGHT and IN SEASON. When I was 25 I got reported for busting a bird off a line(State Game warden confiscated 3 birds he saw me legally take), I recieved 3 federal charges and wound up paying a whopping $10 (Yep, ten dollar) fine, BUT I also was put on SUPERVISED Federal probation for 6 monthes!!! Oh, I was also appointed a defense attorney since the tree-hugging judge and US Attorney were seriously considered 1 year jail time for my barbaric crime spree. I had to go to court 12 times on this!!

I couldn't believe it!! The Probation Officer was at my work 3 times a week for the entire 6 months...It was a good thing my boss thought the Gubment was as stupid as everyone else and didn't fire me! Now you REALLY know why there are $1200 toilet seats in federal outhouses!

Other food for thought when your youngster shoots their first Blue Jay with that new BB gun---It's a Federally protected trash song bird! Man, I love the USWF&G....NOT!!
Wow Rainman. I better be careful on this forum of Felons!
In west Tx. (sheep country) it was common practice to 'thin-out' eagles during lambing season. An eagle will eat 2 per day for about $180.00 loss to operation. 10-15 working a ranch can get costly. A Midland Tx. man served 3 years+ for his part. He was a little extreme, hiring a chopper to find them.

I'm looking at running service, about 600', to a pond and the bids are breathtaking$$$! I am going to contact cocp and see if they will help. I've had bids of 12k to run 30amp service from meter. Aeration may be delayed?
Crap I'll never get my limit now. Glad you guys told me that. How about tree shots that legal?
I have to admit, I still bust many a dove that are eitherJUST landing or JUST taking off. I also admit that my eyes aren't what they used to be and I'm just imagining feather movement.........

Ahvasta, Tell the Co-OP you plan to build a workshop or a home and you want 200 amp service....It will often get installed for free.
LOL Rainman, sorry to hear about your bad experience, what a nightmare. Most definitely I will get up from the porch swing and gladly give the poor bird a head start off the wire, but he's still going to end up on the BBQ pit wrapped in bacon & a jalepeno pepper \:D
© Pond Boss Forum