Pond Boss
Posted By: scasper Aeration with NO storage - 06/24/22 02:35 PM
I thought for sure this would have been covered somewhere already, but I cannot find a thread.
QUERY: Is it feasible to install a 500W wind turbine, with an MPPT controller, and connect it directly to a 12V compressor?
I understand that it would only work when there is enough wind, and in calm weather it would just sit idle. I'm just wondering if I'd burn up the pump or controller by doing so?
Posted By: Snipe Re: Aeration with NO storage - 06/24/22 04:25 PM
If using an MPPT controller, is has to handle the input-#1, but it controls output (load) at a set voltage, 12 or 24, and I believe it has to have a storage point to control that, as in 2 batteries.
I would recommend 24v for reasons of wire size and length.
Maybe Brian will catch this and give you some good input. He's the guru with this stuff.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Aeration with NO storage - 06/24/22 09:24 PM
I'll send this thread to Brian.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Aeration with NO storage - 06/24/22 09:52 PM
Scasper,
The simple answer is no (yes it is possible, but not practical). Mppt controllers must have a reference like Kenny said. If the windmill is turning sufficient to generate energy, the charge controller would not know what to do with that energy. There are electronics that could help, but it is far easier to use a battery.

Here are the reasons: Your charge controller would need a reference. SO let's say you attach a windmill to the charge controller and fire up the windmill without a battery or dump load, the energy must go somewhere. As the windmill turns faster and faster, the voltage will try to increase. With no place to put the energy, the charge controller would convert the energy and the amps would continue to climb until it burned up the system. Also, when the windmill stops, the system would go unpowered. No problem there, but when the windmill starts up, the voltage sag would also harm equipment.

Using a windmill usually requires a dump load to have a place for the energy to go if your battery is full and you have no working load, or not enough working load. Charge controllers that can talk to a dump load to properly protect the system are a little more complicated but not much more. There are windmills out there that have "okay" charge controllers. But a battery is expected to be in the system.

Try this. Look for a windmill that is the right size for your system and then look for the compressor you need to do the job. Then see if you can find that pump in 24 or 48 volts. If you can it will be easier to setup and work longer.

Then look at the requirements and build the right system.

All this said, yes it is possible, but you will have to have the right equipment to deal with all the issues, or you can build a system with a battery.

Does any of this help?
Posted By: highflyer Re: Aeration with NO storage - 06/24/22 09:55 PM
With all that said, I do aerate with a 10 watt solar panel, a geared 12 volt motor and a paddlewheel. it works great without a controller. I understand the issues and my simple setup has been working for a few years now in my brood ponds. So look at small solar setups for surface aeration. They are simple and cheep.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Aeration with NO storage - 06/24/22 10:04 PM
Here's Brian's solar deal.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_3660.JPG
Posted By: Snipe Re: Aeration with NO storage - 06/25/22 04:47 AM
Looks like P&WC's first turbine... :-))
Posted By: esshup Re: Aeration with NO storage - 06/25/22 05:03 AM
I want to know if it will keep an open hole in the ice during the winter!
Posted By: highflyer Re: Aeration with NO storage - 06/25/22 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Snipe
Looks like P&WC's first turbine... :-))

Mine is much quieter!

Originally Posted by esshup
I want to know if it will keep an open hole in the ice during the winter!

Yes, my brood ponds have never frozen over with this paddlewheel protecting them! In Texas.....
© Pond Boss Forum