Pond Boss
Posted By: Tom_Coleman Remove large trees from dam? - 11/28/21 01:01 AM
I have about an acre sized pond. The dam is 50 yards across. I removed all the trees pond side last year. Debated removing dam side trees but some convinced me that removing all trees could be bad for the dam (erosion). Others said the grass on the slope should hold the earth just fine. The remaining trees away from the pond are about two dozen trees, mostly tulip poplars, all less than 12 inch diameter. Any downside to cutting them all down?

I am seeing a little leaking or flow coming from above the drain pipe. The water level is below the drain, has been for a few weeks as we've had no rain. So the flow cannot be from the overflow. Any leak is concerning. Thoughts?

Attached picture dam pond trees.jpg
Attached picture dam pond trees.jpg
Posted By: esshup Re: Remove large trees from dam? - 11/28/21 07:38 AM
Rule of thumb is trees less than 6" DBH (diameter breast height) are OK to cut down on a dam, bigger DBH trees should be left because of the chance that the roots are long enough that when they decay they could leave a void for water to flow through, cutting through the dam over the years.
Posted By: Tom_Coleman Re: Remove large trees from dam? - 12/01/21 02:31 AM
Thank you for the rule of thumb, that was what I was looking for. All my trees are 6" or less (or close enough) so they are all going. I've been delaying doing this realizing that removing the trees will bring bushes / brush, other things to maintain...but not optional if I want to keep the dam, keep the pond.

Thank you esshup
© Pond Boss Forum