Pond Boss
Posted By: spyshot Fish on surface of water - 09/03/21 05:54 PM
I treated my pond with chelated copper sulfate to take care of a planktonic algae problem. I was hoping it would not crash the oxygen level but it did. All of my fish are at the surface of the water gasping for air. Any ideas on what I can do to quickly add oxygen to my pond? I am already using an aerator system with 4-10” bublers running 24 seven.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: Fish on surface of water - 09/03/21 05:59 PM
If you have access to a water trash pump and let it spray into the air back to the pond. I have seen a few people use bush hogs backed into the pond and let it spin to agitate the water surface. I hope it`s just a partial fish kill and not a full pond turn over.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Fish on surface of water - 09/03/21 06:19 PM
Any nearby source to add new water and drain your worst oxygen depleted water off of the bottom?
Posted By: spyshot Re: Fish on surface of water - 09/04/21 12:15 AM
Good idea on the pump. I am running one now. Hope they’ll live.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fish on surface of water - 09/04/21 02:22 AM
Electric or gas motor with a prop. Make sure it is deep enough in the water so it can use the pond water to cool the motor and fire it up. Part of the prop has to be out of the water for it to add O2 to the pond.
Posted By: nehunter Re: Fish on surface of water - 09/04/21 02:23 AM
back a boat in and run prop just in water
Posted By: Augie Re: Fish on surface of water - 09/04/21 03:26 PM
Sink it a little deeper and trim up until the prop is just under the surface then let it eat.

Jet drive will do the same thing. Trim up and send a roostertail halfway across the pond.
Posted By: FishinRod Re: Fish on surface of water - 09/04/21 03:53 PM
Augie thinks big! I am now envisioning grizzly bears standing around the back of the boat and catching Spyshot's fish in the air as they go flying past like the salmon running up a waterfall!

I hope your fish are doing better today, Spyshot!
Posted By: spyshot Re: Fish on surface of water - 09/04/21 07:27 PM
Lost about 120 catfish so far. I really thought the trash pump would’ve helped a lot. it causes a lot of agitation. Not sure if it’s working or if it could’ve been worse if I never used it at all? Getting a good rain right now, I feel like that should be a good thing? No boats in my family.
Posted By: esshup Re: Fish on surface of water - 09/04/21 07:31 PM
How big/deep is the pond and how much chelated copper did you use?
© Pond Boss Forum