Pond Boss
Posted By: roymunson Windmill Aerators - 07/12/21 11:16 AM
I have a pretty remote pond filling right now that seems now would be the time to add an aerator if I'm going to do it. I have no power to the place, so I thought a windmill may be an option.

3+ acre pond, max depth of 19', all run off fed. So we won't have a ton of water turnover, any suggestions on a windmill? How big? a quick google search showed some packages in the $2500 range, but I know nothing about it. Any help is appreciated.

Fire away
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Windmill Aerators - 07/12/21 03:06 PM
Do you have a location near the pond that is elevated with clear (.i.e. no trees or buildings nearby) wind access? If not, I'd forget a windmill.

If you do, there are still things to consider. Primary is the fact that one time when you need pond stirring the most is when there is no wind.

I have a Koender's windmill (2002 vintage) that was the sole source of aeration on my 2/3 acre pond for several years. While it was better than nothing (quite good, really, at Winter ice condition aeration, which is what I believe it was designed for), its output pales compared to electric aeration. I fear it would not be a lot of help on 3 acres.

Do you have electricity available at a distance? You can pipe compressed air for aeration as much as a half mile.

If not, maybe solar aeration - I don't know squat about that.
Posted By: roymunson Re: Windmill Aerators - 07/12/21 04:29 PM
We're a 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the meter at the cabin. The electric line is closer, but we'd have to put in a whole new meter and electric service and I'm not sure that's worth it or not.

Solar may be an option, but I'm just seeing what I should be doing.
Posted By: esshup Re: Windmill Aerators - 07/13/21 12:33 AM
If it's feasible, I would trench in a 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" dia poly air line to the pond from where you have electric, put a remote manifold box at the edge of the pond (underground so you can mow over it) and transition to the self weighted line in the pond. When trenching in the poly air line, use the longest lengths possible to minimize splices that are under ground.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Windmill Aerators - 07/13/21 03:29 PM
I own two aeration windmills and feel VERY similar to Theo. Personally I would not recommend a windmill.
© Pond Boss Forum