Pond Boss
Posted By: matchucalligani Sinking Diffusers/Silt Problem - 05/27/21 05:58 PM
Hey folks, first time poster here.
Question is: 1/2 acre cattle pond that has been zoned residential so its never been dredged. Currently silt accumulation is +2ft. Will standard diffusers rest on top of the silt or is there a risk of them sinking in?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Sinking Diffusers/Silt Problem - 05/27/21 06:56 PM
Welcome to PondBoss! Marshall, Missouri??? If so, I'll see you at "the Junction".

You will notice a lot of what is discussed here on the forums will depend on several things? It is very hard to answer your question without know what "standard diffuser" you are referring to. Post a photo of what you have in mind to get better advise. How soupy is your muck? That's a tough/tricky question to answer as I know of no official muck scale to compare it to.

I suspect standard diffusers are made heavy enough to stay on the bottom (that should be a given), but, also, have a flat broad enough base to act as a snow shoe and not sink in the muck. Some diffuser assemblies may not have much of a broad flat base (more like legs) and these could sink in the muck. Not all muck is equal either...some are more solid whiles others more like pudding. Most turn key assemblies have the diffuser very close to the base. If the air/water flow is high enough, the muck is loose enough, and the assembly does not have a broad flat base...the water movement could erode the muck from beneath the assembly and cause it to sink or settle in this case.

You can always add a "snow shoe" to the assembly regardless of what you buy. Something like a 18" x 18" sheet of metal/aluminum or plastic and some sturdy zip ties would do the trick.
Posted By: matchucalligani Re: Sinking Diffusers/Silt Problem - 05/28/21 02:51 AM
Marshall, Virginia unfortunately. The Junction sounds awesome smile
by standard diffuser i mean 3 single 9" matala diffusers on a 3 way manifold
silt is pretty soft, pudding-ish. My feet sink right into it about a foot or so in waders.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Sinking Diffusers/Silt Problem - 05/28/21 12:16 PM
The "Junction" (Marshall Junction) is just a highway crossroads where a Fireworks/Gas Station store sits...nothing to get excided about, it's not worth a special trip...lol

Is your diffuser like this?...

[Linked Image from forums.pondboss.com]

If so, I would consider adding a "snow shoe" base to it as I described earlier to be on the safe side. It's foot print is not much bigger than the diffuser head (pretty small) and the diffuser will sit very close to the muck. A larger base will spread it's weight out over a larger area to keep it afloat in the soft bottom and protect the soft muck from the flow that the diffuser will cause reducing erosion around the assembly. A 2'x2' base sheet would work, maybe 18"x18". The caveat will be that the diffuser will be more difficult top drop to the bottom as it will not want to drop straight down, but rather glide back and forth (or maybe flip over). You'll know if it flips over...the air bubbles will be much larger and sporadic rather than a fine plume. I secure my diffusers to a couple cheap duck decoys with Well Pump Safety Rope (500' from Menards for 20$) so that I can pull them for cleaning or relocation. The rope lasts a couple years for sure before needing replaced. Side Note: the rope wants to float so I wire-tied a large washer to the rope about 2 feet from the duck so that I don't have the rope floating at the surface.

Attached picture Single Matala.jpg
Posted By: matchucalligani Re: Sinking Diffusers/Silt Problem - 05/28/21 06:53 PM
really good thinking. I love the your use of decoys, great idea!
© Pond Boss Forum