Pond Boss
Posted By: Ahinsch Help with Thomas 2660 - 05/24/20 07:57 PM
I have a Thomas 2660 and noticed this morning it wasn't running when it should be. I went out and looked at it and it felt hot. I'm guessing it tripped the thermal breaker. I went back out a few hours later and plugged it back in. I could hear it humming but wasn't running. I turned the fan by hand and it started running like normal. I turned it off and tried to start it again with the same issue, this time I couldn't get it to start by spinning the fan. I haven't had time to really dig in to it yet but wondering if someone knows what my problem would most likely be?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Help with Thomas 2660 - 05/26/20 12:13 PM
Typically, when a motor will only start up and run with the help of spinning the fan...the capacitor is bad. I am not familiar with your pump, but it may just need a small part replaced. Caution: capacitors can and will hold electrical charges and should be replaced by those that know how to discharge them before handling them.

Welcome to the forums!
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Help with Thomas 2660 - 05/26/20 12:22 PM
How long do those capacitors usually last?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Help with Thomas 2660 - 05/26/20 01:37 PM
Most of my experience with failed capacitors has been on outside AC unit fans and furnace fans. It does not surprise me if one goes bad within 10 years, but nor does it surprise me if it lasts 20.

Another possibility is that the bearings are shot and the capacitor cannot supply enough current to overcome the inrush requirments to get the bearings to start moving, but this should be pretty obvious due to the noise made by the failed bearings.
Posted By: Ahinsch Re: Help with Thomas 2660 - 05/29/20 01:47 AM
Thanks for the reply, I have a capacitor on order!
© Pond Boss Forum