Pond Boss
Posted By: Dilley solar aeration in the deep (hot) south - 09/26/18 03:06 PM
So my pond is a good distance away from my electricity and at the moment that's not really an option because i'd have to clear some brush on top of running wire a long way.

The pond is well fed though so I can pump new cold water into it each night.

I'm reading where aeration during the summer day can cause the cool deeper water to get hot and be harmful to the fish so I'm wondering what my options are here.

It's roughly 3/4 acre average 8-10' deep more or less. I'm going to try and get hard numbers I think 12' is the deepest though.

Some solar aeration systems have batteries, but it seems to add 2-3k+ to the cost of the system. Should I just pony up and run electricity or can I solve this with solar?

I'm in South TX so heat is my primary concern.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: solar aeration in the deep (hot) south - 09/27/18 10:51 AM
How far is the pond from elec. You can run air along way and it is a lot cheaper than running electricity. And you can run air at night during the summer along with setting the diffusers off bottom and that will help to reduce injecting hot air to all of the ponds water.
Posted By: Dilley Re: solar aeration in the deep (hot) south - 09/27/18 02:52 PM
1000 ft as the crow flies, but i'd have to clear out a lane for it through some pretty thick brush.

I do also have a well that feeds the pond. Maybe I could use that somehow?
Posted By: Mfitzs70 Re: solar aeration in the deep (hot) south - 09/27/18 03:12 PM
Remember well water does not have oxygen.
Posted By: Dilley Re: solar aeration in the deep (hot) south - 09/27/18 03:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Mfitzs70
Remember well water does not have oxygen.

Yeah I was just thinking maybe if I figure out how to hook it up so that it agitates the water it will create it's own aeration.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: solar aeration in the deep (hot) south - 09/28/18 10:41 AM
I ran rolled tubbing for air to the pond. Some 1 1/2" along with some one inch before I changed it over to one inch pvc at the pond. I ran about double your estimated number. And as far as your water well and adding air to it, I have a 2" water line and added a 4" qtr inch id pipe where I drilled a hole into the 2" tubing and put the 1/4" pipe at a 90 degree angle to the 2". This will cause the smaller pipe to suck air and force air into the water. Hay, I am not the best at describing some times but I hope I made this understandable.
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: solar aeration in the deep (hot) south - 09/28/18 04:04 PM
IMO, if you can run air from the house, that's the route I would go.

This is coming from a guy aerating off of solar....
Posted By: Dilley Re: solar aeration in the deep (hot) south - 10/04/18 04:11 PM
I think I understand. Thank you for the input!!
© Pond Boss Forum