Pond Boss
Posted By: Vaaccess .5 AC Pond - Need to Aerate on the Cheap - 05/13/15 02:30 AM
I need to aerate our pond. I know I do. While I've been adding Beneficial Bacteria, I've run out and the algae is already starting to bloom.

I recently got a boat and was able to test the water depth and was surprised that the water is from 3' to 5' at the deepest, but it's more shallow than I realized.

Anyway, what are some good product options to go with to get some good aeration going? I have power down to the pond already (the previous owner did ONE thing right), which is great.

If there's a good thread that talks about good/inexpensive options, feel free to point me towards it.

And, should I look for more Beneficial Bacteria or will the aeration pretty much take care of it?

Thanks!
Posted By: Esox Re: .5 AC Pond - Need to Aerate on the Cheap - 05/30/15 04:32 PM
I think me and you are in the same boat. Your pond is a little shallower than mine, so you probably could get away with 2.5 psi pump or less. I haven't bought/built a system yet though. Here is my thread it probably won't be very helpful, but it might give you more insight and ideas. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=31054&Number=400981#Post400981
Posted By: FINnFUR Re: .5 AC Pond - Need to Aerate on the Cheap - 05/30/15 04:51 PM
Been in the same research mode . I am coming to the conclusion good and cheap may not be the same unless a temporary solution.
There is a guy on Ebay selling rebuilt pumps with ring diffusers weighted line package systems. One for a shallow small pond was about $200>$300. His feed back was good.
I have found a quality Vertex diffuser is $150>200 so thats a big cost of a higher quality system.
I have found used Gast pumps on ebay reasonable and the rotary vane is not to hard to rebuild if needed.
I have recently learned since it is a new pond I don't need to be in a hurry so I have backed off and doing research and searches for used pumps some of which are called vacuum or septic but do the same thing.
Still researching.
Posted By: Esox Re: .5 AC Pond - Need to Aerate on the Cheap - 05/30/15 06:12 PM
Nice pond FINnFUR!
Yeah I have all summer to research/build my system until the deep freeze. The pumps seem a little pricy but I guess their life span also matters. Maybe a cheap compressor will only last one winter I don’t know.
Posted By: Rainman Re: .5 AC Pond - Need to Aerate on the Cheap - 05/30/15 07:47 PM
esox, unless a compressor is rated for "continuous duty", they will often fail in hours to days. Some people think oil-less air compressors for tools would work well, but those are normally only 10% to 20% duty cycle motors. Meaning a 10% duty cycle can run one minute out of ten minutes time...20%, 2 minutes in 10.
© Pond Boss Forum