Pond Boss
Posted By: pullo Thomas pump not working - 04/01/12 02:25 PM
Hello, I have a thomas 2660C-E32 aeration pump that will not run longer than a minute & smells really hot then shuts down. I know it's thermally protected & designed to shut off when hot, I was just wondering what would cause it to overheat? It has the overworked electric motor smell & a humming sound before it shuts down. It started after the system was running then on a hot day the cooling blower fan died, so the pump shut off when it was hot, I replaced the fan with two & the system ran for a week now this? just looking for info if I need a new pump.
Posted By: esshup Re: Thomas pump not working - 04/01/12 11:15 PM
Do you have a pressure gauge on the system to tell you what psi you are running?
Posted By: Ted Lea FOREVERGREEN Re: Thomas pump not working - 04/04/12 11:21 PM
Check the start / run capacitor.
Posted By: pullo Re: Thomas pump not working - 04/06/12 10:03 PM
Thank for the ideas, I installed a new split capacitor, the pump runs then starts to smell like burning motor with a humm then shuts off after a minute & is really hot.. I've burnt out electric drills before & this pump is acting like the motor is gone! I also realized a storm last week lightning hit a tree next to our house (tree actually touches the gutter) So now I have a circuit in my house thats not working...so I'm thinking it could of fried the pump? or the pump motor just gave out?
Posted By: WaterWizard Re: Thomas pump not working - 04/06/12 10:40 PM
Is the compressor more noisy than normal. After a while the motor bearings go bad. Usually they will get real noisy before they completely seize. But yours could potentially be going out therby creating more fricting - amp draw - heat.

Also, on the same lines as what esshup mentioned, try to start it without it attached to the air supply line (i.e. open flow). This way there will be no back pressure on the compressor.
Posted By: pullo Re: Thomas pump not working - 04/06/12 11:33 PM
No pump sounds as it should other than the faint humming, I have the pump on the work bench so no lines attatched

© Pond Boss Forum