Pond Boss
Posted By: ArkieJig Feeding Freshly Stocked Fish - 03/05/23 12:51 PM
I just stocked 4000 CNBG and 40 Lbs of FHM in a 3 1/2 acre pond. Will it take awhile before they will began feeding? The Supplier gave me a bag of the feed he was using but I don't have any fish coming to it. Should I feed in multiple locations? I put the CNBG in two locations on opposite sides of the pond near brush piles and all the FHM in a shallow pocket.
Thanks in advance for your replies
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Feeding Freshly Stocked Fish - 03/05/23 01:45 PM
How big are the CNBG. Is it a new pond, or are these additions to an established one. If the latter is the case, what else, size- and species-wise, are already in there? If it is a new pond, how long has it been since it filled?
Posted By: esshup Re: Feeding Freshly Stocked Fish - 03/05/23 04:47 PM
There are so many variables that I don't think you can get a concrete answer. Last year we stocked 30,000 LMB that were 2"-2.5" long in a RAS system, and they were feeding within 1/2 hour. 14 hour transportation, 3 hours to temper the water in the haul tanks before transferring the fish.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Feeding Freshly Stocked Fish - 03/06/23 04:26 PM
Assuming it is a new pond, it could easily take several weeks for the CNBG to begin feeding on the pellets. First fish you will see at the pellet feeding area will be the minnows. The minnows will eventually lead the new BG to the pellets. At first do not over feed. Wind will blow uneaten pellets to shore to eventually decompose and grow additional algae. Minnows may eat some of the windblown shoreline pellets. The smaller the stocker CNBG the slower they will learn to come to the pellet feeding area.
© Pond Boss Forum