Pond Boss
Posted By: JChanse Feed fish dead mosquitos? - 06/17/22 02:42 AM
So I am about to have a couple mosquito traps around my property and the traps lure the mosquitoes into a container where they die. Is it worth dumping several thousand dead mosquitoes into the pond or is there a reason not too? Have minnows RES and YP at the moment with adding SMB next year.
Posted By: Snipe Re: Feed fish dead mosquitos? - 06/17/22 05:30 AM
Hydrated insects?? Sounds like a good thing to me.. as long as they don't come from a bug zapper, there would be some value to them.
Posted By: JChanse Re: Feed fish dead mosquitos? - 06/17/22 10:01 AM
Haha no bug zapper, just traps that lure them in and collect them in a container where they die.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Feed fish dead mosquitos? - 06/17/22 11:11 AM
I can’t see a down side to it.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Feed fish dead mosquitos? - 06/17/22 12:25 PM
The only potential concern, in my mind, would be if some kind of chemical was used in these traps to actually kill the mosquitos.

If there was some chemical involved, I would not want to introduce that to the fish.
Posted By: esshup Re: Feed fish dead mosquitos? - 06/17/22 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by Sunil
The only potential concern, in my mind, would be if some kind of chemical was used in these traps to actually kill the mosquitos.

If there was some chemical involved, I would not want to introduce that to the fish.

If they are what I think they are, there is no chemical, they just dehydrate and die.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Feed fish dead mosquitos? - 06/18/22 12:42 PM
How many of us wish we could get some surplus Mayflies from Cleveland?
Posted By: JChanse Re: Feed fish dead mosquitos? - 06/19/22 01:25 AM
Right, ship them to Columbus please haha.
Posted By: JChanse Re: Feed fish dead mosquitos? - 06/19/22 01:27 AM
Yea, trap lured them in with a little propane smell to mimic humans….and small fan sucks them into a trap where they die of starvation. No chemicals that I’m aware of. I just expect a contain with several 100/1000s of dead mosquitoes. And if I have the trap by the pond just throw them in there.
Posted By: esshup Re: Feed fish dead mosquitos? - 06/19/22 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by JChanse
Yea, trap lured them in with a little propane smell to mimic humans….and small fan sucks them into a trap where they die of starvation. No chemicals that I’m aware of. I just expect a contain with several 100/1000s of dead mosquitoes. And if I have the trap by the pond just throw them in there.

Yep, those work great. Unfortunately the Mosquito Magnet people have stopped servicing the Executive series of traps. I have a customer that has 8 of them. There is also a pheromone packet that you can get to lure them in along with the CO2 that the trap gives off from burning the propane.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Feed fish dead mosquitos? - 06/20/22 11:50 AM
Dang Theo, that’s impressive
Posted By: JChanse Re: Feed fish dead mosquitos? - 06/21/22 11:03 AM
I just got the skeetervac after looking at the magnet for while. The portable mosquito manhunt looked sold outmost places.

I may have to order more skeetervacs is they work half as good as the videos haha.
© Pond Boss Forum