Pond Boss
Posted By: Brad346 Feeding trout, winter. - 07/04/21 03:35 AM
So I put some trout in my new, 1.4 acre pond just to see if they survived. They did, kind of. Lost a bunch over the winter, but not all. Between aeration and weed removal, I think I’m on the right track to eliminate winter kill.

Question. They seem pretty dependent on my feeding them, despite there being piles of food in the pond. Still millions of FHM.

Does anyone feed their trout in the winter through the ice? How’s that working?
Posted By: 4CornersPuddle Re: Feeding trout, winter. - 07/04/21 03:57 AM
Brad, I've attempted to feed my trout in the small open hole of water each winter. Nothing doing. I haven't seen a fish in the winter in the open water, haven't witnessed a swirl at a pellet or insect. My tiger trout probably feed subsurface throughout the winter, as they are sleek and well shaped when they first appear again in the spring.

I'm not at all concerned about their apparent lack of interest in fish food during the winter months.
Posted By: Fyfer123 Re: Feeding trout, winter. - 07/09/21 12:00 PM
You can read this thread that I made this winter about this exact subject. I made a sinking food out of the floating pellets and sunk them to the bottom. Success was limited, but some trout did eat the sinking pellets as I could see on my camera.

https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=529985#Post529985
© Pond Boss Forum