Pond Boss
Posted By: volguy9595 feeder clogs when it rains - 06/11/21 04:50 PM
Should I lower the spinner from the bucket some?[img]https://imgur.com/cXBo1f7[/img]

Attached picture cXBo1f7.jpg
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: feeder clogs when it rains - 06/13/21 01:22 AM
I expect that converted deer feeder will always let the feed get wet. Does it throw at all?
Posted By: esshup Re: feeder clogs when it rains - 06/13/21 03:12 AM
Unless you can shield the feed that is sitting on the spin plate from rain you will have that problem no matter how far it is from the bucket.
Posted By: volguy9595 Re: feeder clogs when it rains - 06/13/21 05:23 PM
It works pretty well and only clogs when we have a hard/sideways rain. I guess I'll just have to unclog it from time to time.
Posted By: FILMFISH Re: feeder clogs when it rains - 01/22/24 06:39 PM
i have a deer ranch and 5 acre pond. i finally covered ALL spin feeders with a 4 post 10x10 sheet metal roof cover and have now had NO trouble with the spin feeders. my pond feeders are covered as well. its the only way to go.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: feeder clogs when it rains - 01/23/24 01:14 PM
I have caulked the sides and sight windows on my Texas Hunter feeder. The damn things leak.

The feed clumped up, got down to the spin feeder, and jammed the spinner plate. That caused the motor to burn up. No warranty on “my negligence”. Not real impressed with them.
Posted By: anthropic Re: feeder clogs when it rains - 01/25/24 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
I have caulked the sides and sight windows on my Texas Hunter feeder. The damn things leak.

The feed clumped up, got down to the spin feeder, and jammed the spinner plate. That caused the motor to burn up. No warranty on “my negligence”. Not real impressed with them.

I've had the same experience several times. Even caulking doesn't completely solve the problem, and if feed clumps up there goes the motor.

If I lived on site this wouldn't have been such an issue, but I didn't. On average, to keep four feeders working I had to buy a new feeder annually. mad
Posted By: esshup Re: feeder clogs when it rains - 01/25/24 12:57 PM

and here I've had mine on the pond for 6-7 years without any moisture issues.

I replaced all the windows/gaskets in the one that I bought from Fireishot and I haven't had any water issues with that one now either.
Posted By: gehajake Re: feeder clogs when it rains - 01/25/24 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by esshup

I replaced all the windows/gaskets in the one that I bought from Fireishot and I haven't had any water issues with that one now either.

I acquired a 25 yr old Sweeney feeder that was in pretty rough shape but it was free, spent a couple hundred bucks on it and its been working like a brand new one, still has the original solar panel but it appears to be getting weak.
It had window moisture issues at one time till I took the darn thing apart and resealed everything with a good polyurethane caulk and have not had a drop of moisture issues since.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: feeder clogs when it rains - 01/29/24 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by esshup

Of course it doesn't leak, I sprayed enough Flex Seal in it to seal a space capsule.

Always seal around the hopper windows. High temps in the summer, and low temps in the winter, is tough on plastic.
Another option to seal the hopper seam is HVAC tape. The hopper has to be clean and dry for that to work, but it works well.
Velcro a humidity gauge to the underside the lid of the hopper. You'd be surprised how high the humidity is. Often humidity, not a leak, causes the clumps.
Run your feeder completely empty after 3-4 bags. Use a stiff toothbrush, or a parts brush, to clean out all the corners. 2" flexible putty knifes work well too. Flat for the hopper wall, and on edge for the corners. Focus on the seam.
Don't feed the possibly mildewed clumps of wet fish food. Take it out, and throw it out to the raccoons somewhere other than where the feeder is.
Posted By: esshup Re: feeder clogs when it rains - 01/30/24 03:44 AM
ROFL. FIH, I replaced the windows and gaskets, replaced the timer after it got hot enough to melt a hole in it, and replaced the spin motor on the recommendation of Chris Blood @ TH Feeders. It's a new machine now. The windows are clear again!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: feeder clogs when it rains - 01/30/24 01:30 PM
Just got an ad from Texas Hunter in the mail. Like everything else, inflation is hitting there also.
Posted By: Jambi Re: feeder clogs when it rains - 01/30/24 03:56 PM
Just got an ad from Texas Hunter in the mail. Like everything else, inflation is hitting there also.
I was quoted an item three weeks ago from them; today I ordered and they wouldn't honor the previous quote. Ugh.
© Pond Boss Forum