Pond Boss
Posted By: JMac0912 Feed training around ducks? - 06/10/19 10:59 PM
Got a new bag of Optimal in, and I think it’s gonna throw nicely with the directional feeder I’m using. Problem is going to be my neighbor’s #%?!¥ flock of ducks they keep as pets - 12 of them!!!

Will the BG I’m trying to feed ever train to the Optimal with these stupid ducks swarming every time my feeder goes off?
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Feed training around ducks? - 06/11/19 04:00 PM
That's a tough one...I feel for you! I think the fish would train, but the ducks are very proficient at gobbling up food. I'd bet your feed bill could easily double (or triple) with ducks at the table.

Around here, the neighbors would be notified of my intentions with hopes that they would pen the ducks up during feeding time, but I know that can be difficult to agree upon and sustain.

I can imagine a floating cage under the feeder, like a feeding ring with a chicken wire basket over it...feed goes through the chicken wire, floating ring contains the feed for the fish, and the wire keeps the ducks from getting to the feed. Maybe your neighbor has some materials to donate and a hand at building it. Otherwise a duck relocation plan would be put into place.
Posted By: Joey Quarry Re: Feed training around ducks? - 06/11/19 04:11 PM
Obviously you have never had, duck à l'orange. Since there are 12, you could even invite the neighbors to dinner. Duck à l'orange, of course.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Feed training around ducks? - 06/11/19 04:32 PM
I didn't say where the ducks would be relocated to...
Posted By: BrianL Re: Feed training around ducks? - 06/11/19 08:19 PM
I would find a sinking food for a while. After repeat times of there not being anything to eat, the ducks should loose interest in coming to the feeder. Then you can start mixing in the Aquamax.
Posted By: JMac0912 Re: Feed training around ducks? - 06/11/19 11:26 PM
I think if I can keep them away from the feeder before it goes off, it’ll be fine. Just observed tonight’s feeding and the gang was up close to the house - no problems, with several fishies showing up along with the turtles. I did strongly encourage my neighbor to get his feeder up and running too so they’ll eat his food instead 😂.

I’m only running a 2 second throw for now, so not too worried if it takes a few days for the fish to run the ducks off. With the smaller size of the Optimal Jr, 2 seconds still gets a decent amount of feed out.
© Pond Boss Forum