Pond Boss
Posted By: Clay N' Pray Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 05/29/19 09:30 AM
Been feeding for about 3 years now.
TSC Catfish & multi species mixed together.

For the first time ever, I saw a 12" LMB take a pellet.
I have heard others tell of LMB being "feed trained" but wrote it off as something that is not done around here.

Not a big deal to many of you but I got excited! Hopefully that LMB continues to eat and puts on some weight.

FWIW, I stocked 2"-3" LMB about 3 years ago. It is probably from that batch.
Posted By: wannapond0001 Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 05/29/19 11:42 AM
How can you tell they are LMB? My fish eat so fast I can't tell what's what. Carp I could tell obviously, but not perch or bass.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 05/29/19 12:08 PM
A 12" LMB will make a considerably larger splash than a BG,for one. But I can watch my fish and easily distinguish BG from GSF and see LMB lurking as they feed. BH are real easy as they just vacuum pellet after pellet.
Posted By: wannapond0001 Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 05/29/19 12:45 PM
My perch, LMB and HSB are all about the same size. Which one would make the biggest splash?
Posted By: ewest Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 05/29/19 02:24 PM
Likely the LMB.

LMB raised in a pond and seeing fish feeding could easily start eating pellets. I have seen this and it is not unusual. As a % of all the LMB in the pond it would be a small % but not uncommon.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 05/29/19 03:10 PM
Agree with ewest as I have had a few feed trained in my pond
Posted By: Jeff Calvin Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 05/29/19 04:35 PM
At 'dinner-bell' time, the first 30 seconds are nothing but the Big Mouth Bass slamming the surface and gobbling up the hydrated Optimal. They come out of the water and you can see the whole side and lateral line.

Perch are rocket fast and almost impossible to see. BG/HBG/RES are much slower and easy to see hit the food. Of course the darn Channel Cats open wide - like Hoover sweepers - and inhale large quantities on the surface as well.

I originally stocked with pellet-fed fish and after 6 years the 'kids of the kids of the kids' have all along the way have fed very strong on pellets.
Posted By: TGW1 Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 05/30/19 11:32 AM
I was amazed a couple weeks back when I saw a big Florida bass take a aquamax lmb pellet from the surface. He swam under it, studied it for a few seconds and then sucked it under with no splash at all. And I did not think the florida strain lmb that had never been feed trained would take a pellet.
Posted By: wannapond0001 Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 05/30/19 12:01 PM
That must be why I saw a few schools of minnows still thriving. The LMB must be eating the pellets.
Posted By: Jeff Calvin Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 05/30/19 04:31 PM
My Buddy has actually seen pellets being pushed around by several minnows trying to get nutrients from them.
Posted By: wannapond0001 Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 05/30/19 06:07 PM
Tadpoles like them too
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 05/30/19 09:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Jeff Calvin
My Buddy has actually seen pellets being pushed around by several minnows trying to get nutrients from them.

I get that reaction from both GAMs and Mud Minnows when I feed. They will gang up on a pellet and push it, spin it around and peck like there's no tomorrow.

On another note, I was on my dock a bit ago when one of my three LMB ran itself and a panfish of some kind completely out on the bank. Thought I was going to have to go rescue them both but they finally flipped their way back into the water. Cool stuff!!
Posted By: Yak n Bass Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 06/01/19 02:23 AM
Everything eats pellets in my pond, a 3’ White Amur can put down a ton of aqua max.
Posted By: Clay N' Pray Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 06/02/19 11:02 AM
Saw that same 12" LMB taking pellets again yesterday. Its apparently only one fish.
It's odd to me that individual fish behave so differently.
My largest LMB (4+lbs) is super aggressive to culled BG, while this 12" LMB eats pellets like a panfish.
Posted By: tubguy Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 06/02/19 06:46 PM
I had heard that typically 4-5% on Northern LMB will feed train on their own. I stocked my pond with 300 LMB and I would guess that there are between 12-18 who will eat Aquamax LMB food. I also have a 2 or 3 that will eat Aquamax MVP but don't seem to like the larger sized LMB pellets.
Posted By: Phoenix Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 06/02/20 01:41 AM
Curious when people say GAMS what fish is that.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 06/02/20 12:14 PM
Gambusia, a minnow
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Saw a LMB take a pellet! - 06/02/20 12:41 PM
AKA Fatheads
© Pond Boss Forum