Pond Boss
Posted By: 2506ackley Moisture getting into feeder - 05/05/17 07:57 PM
I am about to buy a Texas Hunter feeder and I can't decide what size to get. I want the one that holds 175 pounds of food because it will let me go longer without having to drive up to my place to fill the feeder.

My local pond management company told me to stick with the smaller unit that only holds 70 pounds. He told me the larger feeders have issues with moisture getting inside and the food will harden and clog up the feeder.

Can anybody give me some advice that actually has the larger feeders? My friend has 5 of the biggest ones on his lake and he does not have any moisture problems.

The feeder will be screwed to my dock and will be directly exposed to all the elements with no tree cover.

Thanks
Posted By: djstauder Re: Moisture getting into feeder - 05/08/17 11:28 AM
I have the small TH feeder. I fill mine with about 5 gallons, about 20 lbs if I had to guess) about every 1.5 to 2 months.

I don't really notice any moisture in the feeder except (very rarely) one of the viewing windows will leak a bit during extreme weather events. However, I'm more concerned about the heat. My pond is in south Miss. so temps around 95 are not uncommon. I'm to understand that the high temps can make the food turn rancid faster than normal storage temps.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Moisture getting into feeder - 05/09/17 10:19 AM
I've never had a problem with my TH Feeder.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Moisture getting into feeder - 05/09/17 02:28 PM
I did have an issue with my 335 TH Feeder when I first bought it, but after sealing one of the seams it has never shown any signs of moisture inside. Been running it a little over a year and no other problems.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Moisture getting into feeder - 05/09/17 03:43 PM
BrianL, What did you use to seal the seams if you don't mind me asking?
Posted By: BrianL Re: Moisture getting into feeder - 05/09/17 04:19 PM
I can't remember the brand, but TH sent it to me. It was caulking that came out white, and dried clear, red squeeze tube. That's all I remember.
Posted By: 2506ackley Re: Moisture getting into feeder - 05/10/17 10:30 AM
Thanks guys. I ordered the 175lb model yesterday.
Posted By: al allison Re: Moisture getting into feeder - 05/17/17 02:40 PM
Use silicone sealer. Numerous brands available. May need to seal window and upper 4 corners of feeder and top. I have one Sweeney feeder and 3 Texas Hunter feeders. Sometimes wind blown rain will push through a corner or the window. Also, if you do get a rust spot you can seal the rust surface with a product called "Extend" by "Loctite"- you can get both from big box stores or local hardware.
Posted By: djstauder Re: Moisture getting into feeder - 05/17/17 02:55 PM
Thanks, Al... I may already have some silicone
© Pond Boss Forum