Pond Boss
Posted By: thedukofdeath What feed will green sunfish eat? - 04/25/17 03:33 AM
Have any of you fed green sunfish? If so, what kind of commercial feed works best? Thanks
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: What feed will green sunfish eat? - 04/25/17 10:16 AM
I've been feeding them for years. Just about any good feed works. Currently feeding Optimal but Purina, Skretting, etc will work well. They're no different from any other bluegill or HBG.
They will also eat catfish pellets.
Posted By: ewest Re: What feed will green sunfish eat? - 04/25/17 02:27 PM
Just about any kind will work. Comercial catfish food is likely the cheapest. Cheapest does not mean best for GSF but it is better than none. Most pond fish food will work better.
Posted By: snrub Re: What feed will green sunfish eat? - 04/25/17 03:42 PM
They are not persnickety at all about feed.

If you have a Tractor Supply or Farm and Fleet near by some of the stores carry Sportsmans Choice fish food. It is made by Cargill. They have the traditional floating 32% catfish food but some of the stores also carry a multi species 36% protein variable pellet size product called Sportsman's Choice Trophy. It is in 25# bags and is reasonably priced for the protein content.

I feed it when I run out of Purena or can't get it quick enough. It is a step up from the floating catfish pellets but is priced and made for the consumer market. It is an "ok" feed as far as fish feed goes. Should work well for GSF.
Posted By: thedukofdeath Re: What feed will green sunfish eat? - 04/27/17 01:58 AM
Thanks for the advice. I bought a bag of the Sportsmans Choice Trophy at a local store. I will try it out. The Sportsmans Choice floating catfish food seems too big. Thanks again.
Posted By: snrub Re: What feed will green sunfish eat? - 04/30/17 04:34 AM
GSF have BIG mouths. Inch for inch about the same size mouth as a LMB of the same length.

Any GSF over about 4" long would have no problem with floating catfish food. And if they are smaller they will keep attacking it till it softens and get it eaten anyway.

But the SC Trophy is higher protein and a better choice for better growth.
Posted By: stickem' Re: What feed will green sunfish eat? - 04/30/17 02:44 PM
I believe a GSF will eat just about anything that they can get in their mouths. I had some come in with the water from a nearby creek in 2014, and they were very prolific before I introduced predators. I have watched them feed and caught them on every kind of bait (natural, commercial, or artificial) that you can imagine. I don't think GSF not eating will be an issue. Good luck!
© Pond Boss Forum