Pond Boss
Posted By: ziessen One acre pond w/Texas Hunter feeder - 03/27/14 04:49 PM
Pond population is 500 BG, 200 LMB, and 300 CC. Pond is one acre in size and 16ft deep at dike end.
Last year the feeder was in for most of the summer at the 16ft end of the pond on a floating dock. Only a minimal response to surface feeding. Moved it to center of pond about 6 to 8 feet deep (in july) Virtually no response to surface feed. Where do I put the feeder for maximum response? Feed is top quality floating/suspending/sinking from fry's fish farm. Dock w/feeder is easy to float anywhere. All the fish were fed at fish farm.

PS. Also put in about 30 gallons FHM last summer.
Posted By: ewest Re: One acre pond w/Texas Hunter feeder - 03/27/14 05:06 PM
You likely need more BG.

Feeding is best near shore in 3-5 ft of water. Brush piles or cover near the feeder also helps.

I would be shocked if the CC and BG did not eat.
Posted By: esshup Re: One acre pond w/Texas Hunter feeder - 03/27/14 05:08 PM
Whoa. I assume you are managing it for a large BG, 10"-15" LMB, catfish fish fry pond?

If fish have ample natural forage, they might not be aggressive pellet feeders. Once the water warms up above the 60°F range, I'd walk around the pond and throw out a half handful of food every 50-75 feet on a calm day. Sit back and watch where the fish are eating the food the most. That's where I'd put the feeder. Feed 1/2 to 1 hr after sunrise or about an hour before sunset. I've noticed that fish that aren't aggressive pellet eaters tend to feed better in lower light conditions.
Posted By: ziessen Re: One acre pond w/Texas Hunter feeder - 03/27/14 08:39 PM
Will do guys, thanks for the info. I will let you know what happens. It's Iowa so I should probably wait to feed until the water hits 55degrees.
Posted By: esshup Re: One acre pond w/Texas Hunter feeder - 03/27/14 11:30 PM
Whats the fishery goals for the pond?
I've had that problem also. I had to walk around the pond tossing feed. In other words, I had to find out where the fish wanted to be instead of where I wanted them to come to.
© Pond Boss Forum