Pond Boss
Posted By: The Lazy K Table scraps? - 08/24/13 12:21 PM
I hope this doesn't seem like a stupid question! But is it a bad idea to feed table scraps? (My ponds have mostly fhm,bg,lmb)

Thanks in advance for any help.
Posted By: FireIsHot Re: Table scraps? - 08/24/13 12:47 PM
I wouldn't, to many variables.
Posted By: small pond Re: Table scraps? - 08/24/13 01:01 PM
Last summer I had bass and bluegill in my pond and I fed them leftovers from super.

If we had left over grissel or fat from steak I'd cut it into larger pieces for the lmb and smaller pieces for the bg. For half of the summer I fed them hamburger meat because it was free. I'm not recommending this but just stating that they will survive.

'A friend cleaned out his freezer and 20 pounds of meat was no good.'
Posted By: ewest Re: Table scraps? - 08/24/13 01:08 PM
It may be better than nothing for a while but not the right thing to feed fish. Not a long term good idea.
Posted By: brook wilson Re: Table scraps? - 08/24/13 02:39 PM
I'm sure they would be great for catfish but doubtful for other species. However, it seems most fish always nibble on any food that makes its way into the water. I bet grass carp would really like asparagus, but nothing (except me) would like brussels sprouts.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Table scraps? - 08/24/13 03:49 PM
I think it might attract non-aquatic critters , also.
Posted By: ewest Re: Table scraps? - 08/25/13 12:50 AM
All of the above. The hamburger is not the best protein source for fish.
Posted By: RAH Re: Table scraps? - 08/25/13 12:57 AM
Hamburger is probably not the best protein source for me either, but it sure tastes good:)
Posted By: ewest Re: Table scraps? - 08/25/13 01:08 AM
It is a good source for humans not necessarily the best in large % of total diet. Humans like catfish are omnivores (plants and meat). While LMB ,BG , pike , WE , YP , Trout and more are carnivores (meat ). GC , tilapia and more are herbivores (plants).
Posted By: Crstfr Re: Table scraps? - 08/27/13 02:37 PM
we toss back in the fish we clean....but we also have 200# stren feeder... but gives them something else to nibble....i'm sure the coons love em too!
© Pond Boss Forum