Pond Boss
Posted By: Allmadness LMB 7-9 inch eating AMAX largemouth - 08/08/11 06:35 PM
Happy to report that yesterday my 7 to 9 inch LMB started hammering Aquamax Largemouth pellets. I heard that LMB had to be 16inchs to eat it so I am excited they and hammering it at only 7 inches long.

It took about 2 weeks to get them to eat the large pellets. I didn’t expect them to eat them till next year since the LMB aren’t that big but I was shocked, and excited all at the same time. Normally the HBG, BG, and GSF would break them apart and eat them but yesterday the LMB decided that was enough of them eating and took them in one bite.

Posted By: Omaha Re: LMB 7-9 inch eating AMAX largemouth - 08/08/11 07:17 PM
Allmadness, don't blink. You may just miss them reach that 16 inches. Congratulations.
Posted By: ewest Re: LMB 7-9 inch eating AMAX largemouth - 08/08/11 07:40 PM
Great news - congrats. Watch them grow . They have about 6-8 weeks +- in your location.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: LMB 7-9 inch eating AMAX largemouth - 08/08/11 09:12 PM
Were they feed train LMB to begin with, or are they some new ones just taking to the feed?
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: LMB 7-9 inch eating AMAX largemouth - 08/08/11 09:31 PM
that is just plain crazy. I finally after much effort got our 12 inch fed trained largemouth to eat them. Some still seem to spit them out due to being too big. Those are "LARGE" mouth 7 inch bass.
Posted By: esshup Re: LMB 7-9 inch eating AMAX largemouth - 08/09/11 01:30 AM
I've got 15"-16" LMB that take them, then spit them back out.
The feed store was out of 600, so I had to grab a bag of 500. I'll try the LMB pellets again and see if they will take them now. If not, I'll pick up the 600 on Sat.
Posted By: Allmadness Re: LMB 7-9 inch eating AMAX largemouth - 08/09/11 02:54 AM
Yes the LMB were feed trained when I bought them.

To esshup - soak the largemouth pellets in water cup for about 30 sec or until they start to get soft and then toss them in. That will get them used to it, after a week or so you won't have to. This will also allow your BG to break them up quick.

To Greg - Also try soaking them, those 12inch bass should get the hang of soft ones and hammer them.

Posted By: esshup Re: LMB 7-9 inch eating AMAX largemouth - 08/09/11 03:59 AM
I'll try that this weekend. Thanks
Posted By: d lee Re: LMB 7-9 inch eating AMAX largemouth - 08/20/11 04:28 PM
here is an observation, and a puzzle about LMB feeding habits, i feed purina game fish chow pellets off my dock to my bluegill, minnows they are so used to it that when i step on dock they all come to it, the water is clear down to about 18 to 24 ", and so shallow , dock almost on dry land, no rain in central tx since june 21, but my watershed great so i still have plenty water for fish in 1ac. tank, i love to watch them feed so i sit in chair and see the huge bluegill, and the tiny, small , and minnows feed, here is my observation, i will always see 1 or 2 fairly large bass swim slowly through the mass of fish like a great white shark, but they never attack the small fish? is it because it is daylight, not hungry, any thoughts
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: LMB 7-9 inch eating AMAX largemouth - 08/20/11 06:02 PM
IMO the large LMB do not bother the "tiny, small , and minnows feeding" because the small fish are too small and most often not worthwhile for the big bass to "mess with". LMB 16"-20" are usually looking for larger vulnerable prey 5"-7" long.
© Pond Boss Forum