Pond Boss
Posted By: RC51 Feeders??? - 05/18/11 09:08 PM
I know a lot of people suggest the T. Hunter feeders but is there a cheeper poor folk feeder that works pretty good??? Man them T. Hunters sure are proud of their stuff!!

Thanks,
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Feeders??? - 05/18/11 09:27 PM
I have to be honest I have been using a Moultrie hanging bucket type and have been happy so far.

Now I know it is not a T. Hunter, nor hold that much food, but it seems to be doing the job for me at this point.

Plus my pond is small so not as much feed needed at one time.

Now does it compare, I can not tell you since this is the only one I have used, but for the cost I think it is great. This is my second year with it and still seems to be fine.

How long will it last I do not know, will I get another one when it fails, more than likely.

Plus if I wanted to put them on the other 2 ponds I could and still not be out too much. I am sure when they quit or something breaks you probably have to get the whole feeder where some of the others you can get parts for.

Again it comes down to goals, price, and convenience for me at this time and I have been happy so far.

Thanks
Posted By: RC51 Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 01:01 AM
Sooooo?? Anyone else?? Surely there are more feeders out there someone has that they like??
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 01:26 AM
RC are you looking for directional feeder feedback only?.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 01:34 AM
I have the moultrie feedcaster commercial feeder.. I like it so far but it throws out quite abit of food in one second.. But the fish have adjusted in the last month and now there cleaning up in 15 minutes..
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 01:34 AM
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
I have to be honest I have been using a Moultrie hanging bucket type and have been happy so far.

I too use a Moultrie Fish Feeder that I've been quite happy with. I have the "Feed Caster" kit that mounts below a bucket of your choice. Mine is mounted to a 3-gallon see-thru bucket.

The kit was $39.95, which required a user-supplied bucket and battery. I think the bucket was $1.95, the bucket lid was $0.95. The 6-volt lantern battery was another $1.95.

This feeder has a 30 degree dispersion spread. It can be set for up to six feedings a day, from 1 second to ...? (much longer than I want to use). I have mine set for 3 seconds at 7:30 AM and 6 seconds at 7:30 PM.

Whatever -- my fish all seem happy with my cheepie feeder. It can be seen in this photo, at the end of my old dock.

Posted By: RC51 Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 02:39 AM
Hey everyone thanks for the info and the pic CAT I apprecaite it! Looks like I will look into this poor mans feeder it's right up my alley! I just can't see spending 700 bucks on a feeder! Ouch!
Posted By: RC51 Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 02:40 AM
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
RC are you looking for directional feeder feedback only?.

Hey AP what's up? I think I could go either way really. Directional would be better but I think I could make both work!

Thanks,
Posted By: RC51 Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 02:46 AM
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO

I too use a Moultrie Fish Feeder that I've been quite happy with. I have the "Feed Caster" kit that mounts below a bucket of your choice. Mine is mounted to a 3-gallon see-thru bucket.

The kit was $39.95, which required a user-supplied bucket and battery. I think the bucket was $1.95, the bucket lid was $0.95. The 6-volt lantern battery was another $1.95.

This feeder has a 30 degree dispersion spread. It can be set for up to six feedings a day, from 1 second to ...? (much longer than I want to use). I have mine set for 3 seconds at 7:30 AM and 6 seconds at 7:30 PM.

Whatever -- my fish all seem happy with my cheepie feeder. It can be seen in this photo, at the end of my old dock.

Hey Ken what type of food do you use in that feeder?

Thanks,
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 02:51 AM
This feeder works great but it's not directional, and it uses AA batteries, I'm on my second one as the bears got the first one.
http://www.moultriefeeders.com/productdetail.aspx?id=mfh-atk
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 08:01 AM
I use the Moultire Game Feeder as well. For a mere $50.00, I've gotten my money's worth out of it several times over. I've got it hanging over my dock a couple of feet and even though its non-directional, never had a problem with feed up on the dock. I usually fill it once a week if its on a moderate settting. Best bang for the buck IMO. Not taking away nothing from the big name feeders. They do provide a convienence that the smaller ones cannot.

Moultrie Game Feeder
Posted By: catmandoo Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 10:16 AM
Originally Posted By: RC51
Hey Ken what type of food do you use in that feeder?

Currently I'm using Big Strike. Up until two weeks ago it had Li'l Strike, but I haven't been able to buy any Li'l Strike lately. This afternoon I'm picking up some Aquamax 500.

Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
This feeder works great but it's not directional, and it uses AA batteries, I'm on my second one as the bears got the first one.
http://www.moultriefeeders.com/productdetail.aspx?id=mfh-atk

The Moutrie FeedCaster uses a 6-volt lantern battery, which lasts a very long time.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 12:31 PM
Hey thanks everyone for the input. Looks like a good little feeder for the money! I apprecaite it!
Posted By: Ned Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 02:41 PM
We have a 7 acre bass lake on which we have 3 feeders. We've had problems with our $750 Sweeney feeder and are still trying to get it to work correctly. It's supposed to be the "Lexus" of feeders but I'm not so sure.

Due to the Sweeney problems we didn't want to spend big money on the other 2 feeders so we bought the 6 gallon Moultrie bucket feeders. So far they've worked well. They don't throw the bait as far as the Sweeney but at least they work.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Feeders??? - 05/19/11 06:49 PM
Here is the one I have:

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/productdetail.aspx?id=mfh-ps1

I just want to get at least 2-3 years out of these, if they last longer than that I will consider it a bonus.

I would however like to know how much feed this bucket holds when full, and how much it is throwing per each second.

Thanks
Posted By: esshup Re: Feeders??? - 05/20/11 02:03 AM
If you have one, it'd be easy to test. Just set the feeder for a specific run time, (as short as possible) and have a large plastic garbage bag ready to hold over the dispersing mechanism. Weigh the food and divide by the # of seconds of run time.
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Feeders??? - 05/20/11 05:01 AM
The Moultri Feeders come with a chart on the inside of the lid. Dispensing rate is as follows:

4 sec. = .8 lbs
6 sec. = 1.0 lbs
8 sec. = 1.3 lbs
10sec. = 1.6 lbs
12sec. = 1.9 lbs
14sec. = 2.2 lbs
16sec. = 2.4 lbs
18sec. = 2.7 lbs
20sec. = 3.0 lbs
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Feeders??? - 05/20/11 01:43 PM
I wonder if that is something new they started doing or in the past, mine does not have the chart.

Either way thanks for posting this, I may also try esshup's idea to test and see how my feeder compares to the chart.

I am sure they are all different.

But now that you posted this I think I did figure it was .2 pounds per second, or close to that anyway.

Now I just need to decide how many times a day to feed, what time of day, and how much each time.

I know there was something mentioned on here about feeding and what to do to get large fish as compared to multiple fish but can not find it.

I want to feed them what they are willing to eat, but I do not want my pond to full of a ton small fish do to my feeding schedule.

If anyone knows the line between keeping the fish healthy and large rather than creating a spawn monster due to feeding please let me know.

Thanks
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Feeders??? - 05/20/11 09:12 PM
Here is some general info to get you started on when to feed hope it is helpful. http://lakework.com/site/fish-feeding-programs.php
© Pond Boss Forum