Pond Boss
Posted By: kanima Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/14/10 08:34 PM
hey guys just ran across this on moultires site thought I would pass this along.

Moultrie wants your fish to be fat and happy this spring! For a limited time, get a 30-gallon FeedCaster automatic fish feeder for $100 with your $100 purchase of any Moultrie products. The 30-gallon FeedCaster retails for $419.99, that's a savings of over $300! Simply add the 30-gallon FeedCaster fish feeder to your order of $100 or more and your discount will be reflected at checkout. Manage a better pond or lake and grow larger, healthier fish with Moultrie's FeedCaster Fish Feeder.
Posted By: FarmerRick Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/14/10 11:43 PM
Sounds hard to pass up. What is this feeder like? Does it really throw food 35 feet? Does anybody have one and can report on it?
Posted By: kanima Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/15/10 01:04 AM
Not sure I was looking for some feeders, new pond and all, the cheepest i could find that feeder was 299.00 on cableas, bass pro wanted 429 and greg was 380 something. So considering I didn't want to spend 1k or better on a feeder i went to the site to look up some info on it and pow there it was ... pure luck I guess.
Posted By: esshup Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/15/10 04:20 AM
Unfortunately, feeders are one item that the "you get what you pay for" saying rings true.

If you live on the property where the pond is located, visit the pond on a daily basis, and can trouble-shoot/repair things easily, then go for it. I'm not saying that they're bad, just that the people on here (myself included) that have bought less expensive feeders end up wishing that they would have bought something different.

I'm talking directional feeders here, not the broadcast kind like deer corn feeders.

I have 2 Stren AquaPro 75 feeders, and they seem to clog or bridge when using 3/16" - 1/4" dia pellets. They had a timer problem in the past, that seems to be resolved now. Mine are working pretty well. Would I have 99% confidence in them to fill them and go on a month trip? No.

A friend has a few Texas Hunter Feeders, and I had to work on one when I visited him because it got submerged by a flood a few days prior. It was easy to work on, and after it was dried out and a new battery installed, it worked just fine.

If I have to buy a new feeder and don't need to feed AquaMax Largemouth Pellets, I'll buy a TH. I know they're expensive, and I can work on and fix just about anything. BUT, it's not so much the working on stuff, it's the time lost feeding the growing fish that gets me.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/15/10 11:13 AM
Anybody have real experience with these fish feeders?
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/15/10 11:13 AM
kanima that price has been changed but not on the website, our price is $350 and it includes the solar panel the $100 does not a solar panel. It is a good deal for sure.

I have posted this before the feedcaster is not of Texas Hunter status or even close. However I have one running for close to two years on my pond. The remoate does not work and I treid three diff ones they quite workiing for some reason. i have had reports of leaks I suggest when you put together to silicone the gap between the two pieces.
Posted By: Chris Steelman Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/15/10 03:16 PM
I had the motor that opens the hopper on mine go out. You can't buy that one motor, you have to buy the entire insert that has 3 motors which makes it more expensive to fix if something breaks.
Posted By: DDD Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/15/10 03:17 PM
I have used one of these for just under two years with no problems other than corrosion on the battery connections. I put it on a new pond, and have no experience with other feeders (so I have nothing to compare it to).

This looks like a great deal.

I am an absentee pond owner and sometimes go 6 weeks without making it to the pond. The feeder has always worked while I was away.
Posted By: kanima Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/15/10 04:51 PM
The way I read the feeder on the site says it does include the battery and solar panel... we will see soon when mine gets in.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/15/10 06:38 PM
Did you order directly from Moultrie?
Posted By: kanima Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/15/10 10:08 PM
Yea
Posted By: kanima Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/16/10 04:36 PM
Just got mine today, it does have battery and solar panel
Posted By: FarmerRick Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/16/10 08:37 PM
Please let us know how far it throws the food and from what height? Thanks.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/19/10 11:54 AM
rick set off mine next time your here. It throws much wider but shorter pattern than most of the directional feeders. You need to have it out on point and closer to the shore due to this. Also mount in location that winds will push food out in the pond to help out. Might go 25 feet out.
Posted By: kanima Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/19/10 08:02 PM
Yea I would agree with greg,Tried mine today, it throws 20 to 25 feet in an arc maybe a 30 degree.
Posted By: Bodock Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/20/10 04:17 PM
Well, I ordered one along with a refurb I-40 trail camera for $119 so I'm getting both shipped to my door for $280. The trail cameras alone normally cost $200. I'll put this feeder on my little catfish pond.
Posted By: BUDH Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/21/10 08:59 PM
I purchased this feeder last year through Cabellas, as they were cheaper than going factory direct at the time. In the 10 months I have had it, there have been no issues at all. I have mine about 2 feet from the bank, and I can guarantee the pellets are thrown every bit of 30 feet. The bulk are probably in the 20-25 foot range into the water. The feeder sat a few months over the winter with no feed, but continued running through the cycles, and the battery is still showing 100%, compliments of the solar panel. I don't have any idea where there could be leaks from the earlier post, unless they left the lid off, or the sight window might have been cracked.

Wish they would have had this deal when I got mine. Great feeder.
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/26/10 08:14 PM
I did the same deal as bodok and sold the trail camera for $100. I put the feeder together yesterday. Pretty easy to assemble. it came with the solar panel and wireless remote. I think rope caulk would be better than the foam gasket provided for the hopper. Everything fit together nicely and I was happy to see they welded the nuts to the flange rather than just having bolts and locknuts. The construction looks good and even the grommets where the wires pass through appear to be good quality. The programmer was easy and straight forward to use. Assembly and programming took less than 1/2 hour. I doubt I'll use the remote much and the insructions say turning it off will prolong battery life. Another thing I didn't like was that I don't think you can program how long the feeder will feed if using the remote. I think it's permantly set to 4 seconds with supposedly delivers 1.9lbs of pellets...a little much for one feeding at my pond.
Posted By: BIGBRAND0105 Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/27/10 05:07 PM
I did the same deal and bought the refurbished I-40. Put it out last weekend and seems to work pretty good.........will keep you posted
Posted By: Leebass Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 04/28/10 06:14 PM
I just order one of there 6 gal fish feeders for $49.27 (shipping included) It is a refurb, but I live 100 yards from my pond, so if it breaks no big lose.
Posted By: Grick_Sie_Gedu Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 05/30/10 05:18 PM
lol thanks for the heads up, just ordered mine also. Now I'll have another camera to catch trespassers, and a cheap hired hand to feed the fish.
Posted By: jsand13 Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 05/30/10 06:56 PM
Theres a new camera out by Day 6 outdoors called a plot watcher that covers a area for 7 days and videos 24/7. It comes with software so you can fast foward and look for activity. Im thinking of getting one. I think it would be great for catching trespassers.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 07/15/10 12:29 PM
It appears this has gone up to $150 now, I was going to try one out but not sure if I want to pay the extra $50 or not.

I would really like to try this one out instead.

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/productdetail.aspx?id=mfh-ps1

Has anyone ever used one like this?
Posted By: FarmerRick Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 07/15/10 03:56 PM
I got the $100 one. It is a sturdy machine and works rather well. However in talking to Greg Grimes, the Texas Hunter, which is what I lust for, throws food much farther and better. I feed from the bank and it is not satisfactory for that, as too much gets close to shore and thus not consumed unless the wind blows it out. It will be great when I have a dock out in the pond to place this feeder on.

Another thing i wish were different - even at one second feed time it throws a lot of food. The hopper door is about 2" diameter and it opens slowly and stays open for the set feed time. With 30-100 lbs of food pressing down, it unloads a lot of food. The instructions say that at a 4 second feed time it will broadcast 2.9 lbs. This is incorrect. It is my feeling that it does that much on 1 second setting. At 4 I would think it would empty the feeder in 2 days on 2 feedings per day. Currently i have mine on one feeding per day for 1 second and feel I may be overfeeding.

Question for the experts - If feeding once per day in a BG pond, what time of day is best this time of year (its hot!)?
Posted By: Cisco Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 07/15/10 04:21 PM
I have the Texas Hunter and it works great. Expansive but a good feeder. I feed twice a day now. Once at 7 AM and again 7 PM. Both for about 4 seconds. My BG eat almost all of it in about 10 minutes.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 07/15/10 09:05 PM
FR, for this time of year the cooler the better so 7 am is good. I really think you cna modfiy the moultrie to have it throw less and suggest as cisco at least two early and late.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Great Deal on Moultiry feeders - 07/21/10 10:14 PM
Originally Posted By: FarmerRick
I got the $100 one. It is a sturdy machine and works rather well. However in talking to Greg Grimes, the Texas Hunter, which is what I lust for, throws food much farther and better. I feed from the bank and it is not satisfactory for that, as too much gets close to shore and thus not consumed unless the wind blows it out. It will be great when I have a dock out in the pond to place this feeder on.

Another thing i wish were different - even at one second feed time it throws a lot of food. The hopper door is about 2" diameter and it opens slowly and stays open for the set feed time. With 30-100 lbs of food pressing down, it unloads a lot of food. The instructions say that at a 4 second feed time it will broadcast 2.9 lbs. This is incorrect. It is my feeling that it does that much on 1 second setting. At 4 I would think it would empty the feeder in 2 days on 2 feedings per day. Currently i have mine on one feeding per day for 1 second and feel I may be overfeeding.

Question for the experts - If feeding once per day in a BG pond, what time of day is best this time of year (its hot!)?

Can you send me the link to the feeder you have?
© Pond Boss Forum