Pond Boss
Posted By: Kclark Pond locating and Water Source - 07/15/21 07:39 PM
Hi All,

I'm debating a purchase of 65+/- acres. Located in northern alberta.

It's been a long time goal to have a 2+ acre pond suitable for fishing and swimming.

I'm trying to determine before purchasing that there is suitable location for a pond.

The ground in the area is pretty consistently clay so I'm not as concerned about sealing the pond as I am filling it.

There is a depression I would call it that runs through the land pretty gentle sloping into it. This depression is somewhat marshy and in walking it last night it is currently dry. With that in mind we have seen almost no rain this year and typically we see quite a bit. Runoff maps in norther alberta show the area as <25ac per mig of dugout.

I have also read that building in marshy areas can be problematic.

I have attached topography images well as some measurements of the area just to offer perspective on scaling the size.

Any opinions on whether a 2+acre pond here 30 feet at deepest would fill?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Attached picture Screenshot_20210715-133548_Earth.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20210715-133150_Chrome.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20210715-133046_MapQuest.jpg
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond locating and Water Source - 07/16/21 10:53 AM
Filling is mostly about topography and rain dances. Why is it marshy? If from runoff, that’s ok. If a spring, that’s another mater. Springs both give and take water. Take means leak.
Posted By: Joey Quarry Re: Pond locating and Water Source - 07/16/21 01:56 PM
Maybe it's my browser but those topography photos didn't tell me much?

I don't know much about, Alberta, but I like, Neil Young. I would be concerned about Alberta's average yearly precipitation.

A cursory web search shows less than 18"/500mm annually.

Clay soils work in your favor but the dense forest works against you.

I think 2 acres and 30 feet deep may be a bit ambitious.
Posted By: gehajake Re: Pond locating and Water Source - 07/16/21 02:27 PM
Im with Joey, I am not seeing any topo lines in those pictures.
© Pond Boss Forum