Pond Boss
Posted By: MattCInOP Pond Drainage - 01/09/21 04:29 AM
Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and to pond-building in general. We are looking to build about a .75 acre pond in our 2 acre back yard, but have been running into roadblocks primarily relating to a drainage plan. We are on a slope, with neighbors below us. The neighbors have declined to give us permission to use their property in any way for drainage because they have serious water problems as it is (because they live at the bottom of a hill). We've explained that a pond would probably help with their water problem by catching much of the surface water coming down the hill, but they are concerned about what could happen if the pond overflows. So, we are trying to figure out a drainage plan that does not require us to get permission from neighbors. We've been in touch with various engineers, but I thought I would ask the internet for its opinions.

It is still unclear to me whether I could just disperse any overflow throughout the backyard, or if that would require any sort of agreement with the neighbors. That would certainly be the easiest route.

We've also considered the use of a pump to run overflow uphill to the storm sewer on the road. The pond is probably 20-30' below the level of the storm sewer on the road, and the pond would be a good 300' away from the road. Presumably running a pipe from the pond to the road, with a pump that turns on when the water level hits a certain point, would be quite expensive? I also don't know how much it would cost to actually run the pump.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
MattInOP
Posted By: esshup Re: Pond Drainage - 01/09/21 05:06 AM
I don't see how the overflow would contribute any more water going to their property unless the dam were to fail.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Pond Drainage - 01/09/21 05:38 AM
Originally Posted by esshup
I don't see how the overflow would contribute any more water going to their property unless the dam were to fail.
x2! Unless your doing a lot of clearing on your watershed area to increase run off, there should be less water flowing to them. It will have to keep the pond full first and more water can't flow out than flows in.
Posted By: RAH Re: Pond Drainage - 01/09/21 11:06 AM
Water rules differ by state and locality, but as others have commented, a pond generally helps during times of heavy rain by storing floodwater (like a retention pond). In Indiana, water is considered "the common enemy". Here, one generally cannot increase or change where water leaves to another property to protect neighbors from flooding. If your neighbors are down hill, perhaps you could help their flooding problems by having the primary outflow pipe extend past their property to a stream or other desirable spot that does not create a potential problem? They might be motivated to cooperate with you if it benefits them directly?
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Pond Drainage - 01/13/21 04:02 PM
At minimum your pond should be designed with a regular drain and an emergency spillway. Both can be directed to a ditch to run in specific areas to avoid being a problem to the neighbors. If I were them, I would be more than happy to have a drainage area built to direct water flow away from the house in the process.
© Pond Boss Forum