Pond Boss
Posted By: PondFan Underground Aquifer Effects? - 09/19/20 09:32 PM
I'm looking to build a 1/2 acre pond on my property which wil be located in the lowest area. According to a land plat map used to locate our sewage drain field, the aquifer originates behind our home and expands to cover the entire area on the lower end of our property where i would like to build the small pond. If possible i would want a depth of 15 feet in the center with a circular shape except for shallow 4' deep by 30' wide x 60' long bay extending off one end. This pond without a doubt will be spring fed as we can dig 3 feet down in our backyard and hit running water. My question is would there be any issues with constructing a pond this small over a aquifer and do you believe the 15 foot depth is attainable with the current water table being so high? One other note, because of the layout of the property, the highest i can construct the outer banking will be 3-4' feet above the current grade of the property which is pretty much flat already.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Underground Aquifer Effects? - 09/20/20 09:12 AM
This is way above my pay grade since I have no experience with high water tables. It would have to be done with a Track hoe/backhoe. Dozers can't operate in water or deep mud. And, the water table will mean that the bucket will be filling with mud instead of soil. It may be possible but not sure it would be, to me, cost justifiable.
© Pond Boss Forum