Pond Boss
Posted By: wings Pond depth same as basement - 08/19/20 03:35 PM
Our pond is probably going to peak at a depth of ~8' (same as my basement). The closest spot of the pond to the basement is 60-70ft and the ground is flat. We have pretty heavy clay so no liner is needed, but is there a risk to the basement in this scenario?

Should we add liner, dig the pond a bit deeper or is nothing needed?
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Pond depth same as basement - 08/19/20 03:51 PM
Coat the outside basement walls with a good thick tar-like coating then add subsurface drain tile around the footer and connect tile to some sort of outlet tile or make a sump pit and pump out the sump. Basement Pros know how to do this.
Posted By: wings Re: Pond depth same as basement - 08/19/20 04:17 PM
I should be good with the house part - when they built the house a few years back they added all of that. I just wasn't sure if there was a risk of huge inflows of water that the sump couldn't keep up with. (i.e risk of the pond draining through the sump pump)

Thanks
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Pond depth same as basement - 08/19/20 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Bill Cody
Coat the outside basement walls with a good thick tar-like coating then add subsurface drain tile around the footer and connect tile to some sort of outlet tile or make a sump pit and pump out the sump. Basement Pros know how to do this.
Exactly what I would have said. But Bill's pond is right next to his house, so he's been there and done that.
© Pond Boss Forum