Pond Boss
Posted By: ooshawn 1/5 acre swimming hole - 07/09/20 10:17 PM
I've got a idea for a nice outdoor swimming hole and i'm gathering up all the information I can before I make any moves. It might even end up smaller than 1/5 of a acre, as I read that is about 8k sq feet or 4x the size of my house. Any thoughts on that? Also What are we thinking for equipment? Rental Kubota mini-excavator or a skid steer? this is all very nebulous at the moment, but I am on a mission to make it a reality.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 1/5 acre swimming hole - 07/10/20 12:54 AM
Dozer does the job quickly
Posted By: ooshawn Re: 1/5 acre swimming hole - 07/10/20 02:21 PM
I could see that for sure. I'm gonna probably research it for two years and see what I could come up with. It'd be nice if there was a way I could draw it out and submit it online somewhere for someone to look at it that is a expert. Any ideas? I could even take a few pictures. Would it be worth having a operator do it if its just a small pond. Might be able to knock it out in a day on a dozer?
Posted By: aighead Re: 1/5 acre swimming hole - 11/24/20 02:47 PM
I've been in planning for a similar project for about 4 years now. I already have a pond, but by that I mean a hole that kind of holds water when it's wet. I also have a backhoe I've been digging into it a bit with and while that works I can't reach the center. I'm looking to increase it's depth substantially and line it and I hope to do most/all of the work myself, with my existing tools. I've seen a neighbor build a pond and he had a monster bulldozer come out and made pretty short work of it. There is something to be said for someone who knows how to operate heavy equipment, but it's expensive. I think an excavator is good but a mini may be too small, unless you are starting on flat, dry ground, and keep in mind you have to move dirt several times, which can be a drag.
© Pond Boss Forum