Pond Boss
Posted By: Steve_ New Site - Looking for Input - 06/18/20 01:59 AM
Hello folks,

I recently purchased my first home (yay!) and I wanted to get some input on a pond idea I have going in my head. The house is on 3.3 acres but over 2 acres of it is wooded. On the plus side, its on a relatively decent slope, as there is over a 50 foot drop from the north of the property to the south of the property. It's a pretty narrow tract of land, but I'm trying to stay optimistic. There's lots of red clay in the area (Piedmont area of North Carolina), so I'm hoping I don't have to worry about that. In the image, the proposed pond is 1.45 acres. I'm actually not looking for something that big, but I'm just trying to get the most out of my land. I'd be happy with a half acre, or smaller.

Questions...

Without knowing the species of trees I have, what are the chances a logging company would clear this land for free (or cheap)? FWIW, I saw a lot of huge (40-50') maples and oaks near the house. I also own ZERO heavy equipment. Hell, I don't even own a chainsaw at this point.

Would the slope I have be enough to be able to dam the bottom, and not have to have any (or little) dirt hauled off the site? (I heard a lot of a new pond's expense is the hauling away of dirt)

My current spending limit is only around 4-5k, so I'm trying to weigh all options to get the most out of my money/land. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[img]https://imgur.com/jtdrRUX[/img]
© Pond Boss Forum