Pond Boss
Posted By: Derrick Carr So I want to dig a pond - 05/14/20 03:39 AM
Hello
I recently bought a home with 14 acres of pasture. I was thinking how great it would be to have a pond to fish and entertain by. I’m currently in the research stage and came across the forum.
My home has well water. There’s a dug up spring on one side, and what looks to be a spring fed concrete cistern on the other corner.

I see some low lying areas that I think excavation would be easier but once again, I have no clue really what to look for. Haha

Any info would be appreciated.

I’m from fayette county Pennsylvania (SW )
Posted By: ShortCut Re: So I want to dig a pond - 05/14/20 04:26 AM
Read through here to study up on pond building and begin establishing your goals. Take your time. The goals may change! Find a reputable builder to discuss your basic goals and to perform a watershed analysis. They should own a sheepsfoot roller and mention core trench. If the watershed will support a pond that meets your size goals have them do a soil test.
If the soil is good, take your time. Plan out spawning areas, flat shallow areas, channels, deep refuse area from heat/cold, where water flows in, etc. Plan out habitat placement while the pond is built and equipment is on site. Much easier to add while everything is dry. Gravel beds, tight brush cover, loose cover, rock piles, etc. Want a fixed dock? Dry is the time!
Discuss YOUR plan and budget with the builder to ensure you both agree with YOUR plan. Adjust as necessary.
We rushed into it and I'm still playing catch up.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: So I want to dig a pond - 05/14/20 07:39 PM
Read through and study the info in this link. Also study the posts on this forum here about trials and tribulations of having a leaker pond. Get several quotes and opinions from some good experienced dirt contractors. Cheapest very rarely produces the best results.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92487#Post92487
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: So I want to dig a pond - 05/15/20 11:36 AM
You need to realize that springs both give and take water.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: So I want to dig a pond - 05/15/20 01:05 PM
Buy a copy of Perfect Pond - Want One? - It's the best $27 you will spend towards a pond. (I not only bought one, I bought a copy for my excavator!)
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: So I want to dig a pond - 05/17/20 11:51 AM
Well said Theo
© Pond Boss Forum