Pond Boss
Posted By: liberty New Pond construction (first timer) - 04/05/20 01:06 PM
Hello,
I would like to build a pond for the first time. My equipment is an 18K excavator, 5 yard dump truck plus I have a 3" dewatering pump. The site chosen is a very wet area with a high water table. Last summer during a very dry spell I dug two test pits to 12 ft deep and it filled with water to within 2ft of the surface. The top layer is approximately 6 to 8" of a very rich soil . The rest is all sand of various colors and types. No clay at the location. It is not needed. I plan on digging this in the middle of a dry spell. I will scrape off the rich soil and dig hopefully to 15ft at the deepest point. Total area will be around 7000 sq ft. Please look at the pics which were taken last summer and be free with any advice.

Thanks
Posted By: RAH Re: New Pond construction (first timer) - 04/05/20 01:49 PM
If you cannot dewater the site, it will be tough going. I could not see your pics.
Posted By: liberty Re: New Pond construction (first timer) - 04/05/20 01:52 PM
I can dewater it. Not sure why pics wont open. I tried opening another post pics with no luck. Maybe there is a problem with the webpage right now?
Posted By: liberty Re: New Pond construction (first timer) - 04/05/20 02:00 PM
There is definitely a problem with the webpage. Hopefully the web page administrator sees this and fixes it.
Same problem for me with pics
Posted By: liberty Re: New Pond construction (first timer) - 04/06/20 07:25 PM
I relayed a message on the pics. Hopefully they get it resolved.
Posted By: BCJohn Re: New Pond construction (first timer) - 04/06/20 08:17 PM
My local DNR gave me books on proper pond digging. If you plan on having fish, a deep pond is better than a larger surface area pond. And do a natural shape, no squares or ovals.
Posted By: RStringer Re: New Pond construction (first timer) - 04/06/20 11:40 PM
Myself like to have some shape to the look. Like snrubs wife calls it character. When my is done I want to have smooth contours all around. I do realize that also means more shoreline. Which in turns is more to manage. I mow right up to the edge of it so I dont want steep banks. If my water drips I want to be able to mow it always right up to the edge. As always to each their own. I do love some others in her which have virtually zero bank access. Be sure to build it around what you want at the end. So much easier than going back and have it redone.
Posted By: liberty Re: New Pond construction (first timer) - 04/08/20 10:58 PM
I got a response from the webpage administrator. They are working on the picture problem.
Recommendation. Buy Mike Otto’s book. Just Add Water. It will save you a lot of money and time.
Posted By: liberty Re: New Pond construction (first timer) - 04/09/20 01:18 PM
I just ordered the book. I wish my pictures opened. Thank you
Posted By: liberty Re: New Pond construction (first timer) - 04/28/20 12:20 PM
Not sure what is going on but here are the pictures again. They still will not open. Hopefully the Administrator sees this and can fix it.

Attached picture pond 1.jpg
Attached picture pond 2.jpg
Attached picture pond 3.jpg
Attached picture pond 4.jpg
Attached picture pond 5.jpg
Nope
Posted By: Dwight Re: New Pond construction (first timer) - 06/06/20 04:33 PM
test

Attached picture 16045.jpg
Posted By: liberty Re: New Pond construction (first timer) - 06/09/20 11:32 AM
Here are the pictures. It is fixed. Hooray!

Attached picture pond 1.jpg
Attached picture pond 2.jpg
Attached picture pond 3.jpg
Attached picture pond 4.jpg
Attached picture pond 5.jpg
© Pond Boss Forum