Pond Boss
Posted By: zeratul_o Site rejection - 05/12/13 03:25 PM
Hi guys!
My brother and I wanted to start a catfish pond on my dad's farmland. Not having enough technical know-how about getting started, we hired consultants to make a site survey. The report that came back to us was that our site was not good enough to do that tired
It's in a swamp, about 3acres. Their reasons were that the site was smack dab in the flood plain of a stream and would thus be prone to seasonal flooding.
What was dissapointing to me was that we weren't given any alternatives, the report just said, "Find another plot and we can assess that, don't use this one." Like swamp land is just waiting to be bought up!
Any advice on how to make this particular site work?
I've been giving raised pond beds some thought.

PS: How can I safely upload the report so you can guys can take a look at it?
I've attached some info that may be useful that was in the report

Attached picture site location.png
Attached picture area xtics.jpg
Posted By: Rainman Re: Site rejection - 05/12/13 04:31 PM
Building berms higher than maximum flood water height is about the only "solution" if you wish to use your currently surveyed site...

Welcome to the Forum!!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Site rejection - 05/12/13 06:48 PM
Rainman is correct. Use the excavated soils from the pond to build up the land around the pond edge to prevent any flooding. Try and find historical data that gives you 100 years of data. That way you should have enough data to ensure that your berms are higher than any flood waters.

You can also use the excavated soils to build up roads, etc. to access the ponds with vehicles.

Welcome to the forum! I believe you are the first one from Africa.
Posted By: Hogfan Re: Site rejection - 05/13/13 02:34 AM
Might check laws on excavation in a wetland. Having said that, if you do construct it in the swamp, you're likely looking at digging into a soupy nasty mess. Unless you dig it during a drought, it will likely fill up with ground water as fat as you build it. Hate to say it but theyre probably right, might be better to stay away from the swamp.
Posted By: esshup Re: Site rejection - 05/13/13 02:40 AM
It might be a soupy mess until he gets the berms completed, but then he could use a semi-trash pump to pump out the water faster than it enters so he can see what he's digging.

That's what I had to do when I renovated my pond. It's in sand, and a groundwater pond. Not enough clay to seal it. A 16,000 gph pump was enough to keep ahead of the water coming in.
© Pond Boss Forum