Pond Boss
Posted By: csgrizz Where do I go/Who do I ask... - 01/17/06 05:05 PM
My new property is a small 2 acre lot on the edge of my new home...currently there is a large corn field to the north, and a county road to the south, with the neighbors grain bin and my house to the east and west.

I would like to make a "spot" of water hopefully enough to support some fish, but primarily for the traffic geese in the area.

My pasture is currently the "run off" water way for the corn field. There is an old windmill/well on the site as well.

Is there even a way for me to build on this small of a site and not effect the farmers field?

I am located in central Illinois, what would be my first step in seeing if this location will work.

Any ideas? Sorry so vague but I don't know what questions to ask.

thanks,

CS
Posted By: Brettski Re: Where do I go/Who do I ask... - 01/17/06 06:11 PM
CS,
I have had very good success working with the NRCS offices in Illinois. Some of the best service has been from offices in central Illinois. You can contact them by starting with the county USDA office. They will forward you as the NRCS office is usually the next room. They will give you the "start" you need.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Where do I go/Who do I ask... - 01/17/06 07:07 PM
How big you could make a pond without affecting the neighbor's cornfield depends on the lay of the land and how much slope there is.

The inlet end of my pond is about 50 feet from the edge of my neighbor's land, with perhaps 18" rise from the water level to the fence. It has not, IMO, had an impact next door, and most of the 50 feet between the pond and the fence is firm enough for a tractor to drive over at all times (my reason for that much separation was to be able to mow along the fence row).
© Pond Boss Forum