Pond Boss
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 03/10/08 10:41 PM
My dad and I purchased an 80 acre farm in the Spring of 2005. I've decided to post the evolution of the farm. From a boring old field to a crazy playground for both adults and kids.

We bought it for an investment (yeah, right) and camping/hunting, and it’s evolved basically into the following post. Our idea was to buy a piece of property that could support a 3-8 acre pond.

The first summer we spent nights camping on the place. With a small creek running through the north end of the property, there was lots of entertainment for my small boys.

We are currently building a cabin. When that is finished, I’ll post pictures of that whole process. The cabin will be 90% surrounded by water. Yes, almost the whole thing will be over water.

I’m going to start posting (1-10 headings or so) and I’ll keep adding until complete. Here is a summary of what has taken place since we purchased the farm.

Starting with the first post:
1. In the Beginning - and no the second won't be Shout at the Devil for any of you Motley Crue fans.....

Scott
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/10/08 10:47 PM
1. In the Beginning
Here are some photos of where we camped. This was the summer after we bought the place.

Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/10/08 11:00 PM
2. Tree clearing
We had a local lake/pond builder, Jerry Donner, test the soil to make sure it was viable for a dam. They took a few samples and found no rock. Once we had successfully tested the soil, Jerry and his team cleared all of the hedge and locust trees in the proposed lake location. Additionally, my dad had Mike Otto come to our farm during the end of the tree clearing to help design the dam and shore line.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 03/11/08 03:20 AM
Sounds like it's going to be a great project Scott. Please keep posting the progress.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/11/08 09:44 AM
3. Lake Construction
After clearing the trees, it was time for the fun. The construction of the dam was a fairly big event. The dam is 100+ yards long. At the top, it is 14 feet wide. It took approximately 10 days to complete.

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Family Farm - 03/11/08 01:29 PM
I love the smell of brushpile fires in the morning.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Family Farm - 03/11/08 02:05 PM
Scott it's looking great. How big will the pond be? I can't wait to see the cabin over the water.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/11/08 05:12 PM
Thanks guys for the help on posting. The lake is 5 acres. I'll post with it full of water.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/11/08 06:17 PM
4. Little Pond.

The property had an existing pond that had been over grown with cattails. When the guys were clearing the trees, my dad decided to have them clean it up. It will now be used as a feeder pond. I plan on putting in 4 lbs of fatheads this spring.

We also have another tiny pond that's about 8 ft wide. It's not big enough to hold fish, but a fun place for the kids to catch frogs and crawdads.

Posted By: rockytopper Re: Family Farm - 03/11/08 07:13 PM
Scott that is awesome, totally awesome. Is the cabin going to be built on the island or is it a peninsula?
Posted By: Russ Re: Family Farm - 03/11/08 09:13 PM
Very nice Scott! Thanks for posting. Is the cabin on schedule for this year?
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/11/08 10:50 PM
The cabin is going to be insane. We've been trying to get the foundation poured since the beginning of February, but the weather has not been cooperating in Northeast Kansas. We dropped the lake level three feet, but it keeps filling back up! They are now scheduled to start Monday. Keeping our fingers crossed.......

The arrow in the photo is where the cabin is going to be located.

Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/11/08 11:16 PM
5. Islands

We had a lot of extra dirt and it actually cost less to build two islands. Instead of pushing the dirt a few hundred yards, we just created two small hills in the middle of the lake. My dad then got the wild idea of putting a large rock platform for us to jump off. We put in three rocks with the top one cantilevered. Additionally, we put a rock staircase to the side to climb out of the water. The rocks came from the small pond that we dug out. We hit rock, and had some large pieces laying around. The water is approximately 20 ft deep off the rocks. The inagural dive was performed by my dad in early April of 2006. The water was freezing!!!!!!

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Family Farm - 03/11/08 11:30 PM
I finally got time to look at ALL the pictures. Fantastic!

I thought Kansas was flat with no rocks - you've got a nice elevation change to work with there (envy). How big did the big pond end up?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 03/11/08 11:47 PM
Impressive. The overhead shot brings it all together. Pond envy happening here.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Family Farm - 03/12/08 12:31 AM
I see you've got a little Lochness Monster in the second photo of your last post, Scott.

Might want to cut back on the swimming in a few years!
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 03/12/08 12:41 AM
C'mon Theo...he said 5 ac. Sometimes I think that all you Moderators do is look at the pictures (rolleyes).
-
What a great project, Scott. You mention your Dad a couple of times. Is see a svelt young man diving from a boulder, then a handsome Patriarche conducting the backhoe orchestra. Would this be one in the same? This might be a good time to expound his contributions to this project, then show him this thread. Only 295 days 'til Christmas. ;\)
-
I do love the creativity with the rocks and the smaller ponds. Someone had a good plan.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/12/08 01:29 PM
Yes, that is my dad in the photos. He will be 65 this fall. He is quite athletic for his age and still manages to windsurf 2-3 weeks each year.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/12/08 01:40 PM
6. Fish and Structure

In the spring of 2006 we stocked the pond with the following:
2250 bluegill – 3-5”
900 red ear 3-5”
675 channel cat 8-11”
45 lbs fathead minnows

In the fall we added 450 LMB.

Additionally, we put in a gravel strip approximately 10 yards wide and 30 yards long for a place for the LMB to spawn. We also put in a gravel beach with the gravel extending out 20 feet into the water. This has been very good for the bluegill and perch. Last summer we put in 30 Christmas trees for additional structure.

Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/12/08 02:01 PM
7. Pond is Full.

Here are some photos of the pond full. We never realized how much time we would spend at the farm. Not to mention the endless hours of fun we have. The kids spend hours catching frogs, seining minnows, catiching fish, etc... Basically, it's a big kid's playground and a little kids playground.

Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/12/08 02:06 PM
8. Garage

We started to accumulate a lot of stuff after the pond was finished. Everything from a mower to plates, silverware, life jackets, etc, etc..... Just a bunch of stuff laying around. That's when we decided to build a garage. Oh, and putting up a basketball goal is a real pain in the you know what........

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 03/12/08 02:07 PM
Absolutely beautiful pond and surroundings!
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Family Farm - 03/12/08 03:19 PM
Wow it's getting even more awesome. I think this might be another PB article in the making.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Family Farm - 03/12/08 03:27 PM
WOW! Is the garage that blue building sitting behind the cabin site? Is anyone living there? If not I volunteer.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Family Farm - 03/12/08 03:44 PM
Very nice Scott. Are you up by Atchison?
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/13/08 01:19 AM
9. Storm Shelter

After the town of Greensburg, KS was all but destroyed (90%) by a tornado, my dad began thinking about a place to hide during a severe storm. They say, "you can run, but you can't hide". In the case of a tornado, "you can't run, but you can hide". So if the big one hits, and we're at the farm, we'll hide.......

Here are some photos of Jerry Donner and Company setting in the storm shelter, which they built for us.

Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Family Farm - 03/13/08 01:27 AM
i just read this thread, dittos to all the envious kudos above, and thanks alot for sharing this story scott, very impressive.

i hope you find great resources here to help keep things going with the fish and water quality.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/13/08 02:05 AM
Thanks, Dave. Yes, fish and water quality is very important to us. We've found the web site and magazine invaluable. Mike Otto came up to Kansas and helped us design it, and Shawn Banks is our pond consultant. We've made various blunders, but I guess it's part of the process. As far as tree planting goes, I'd rather not start a post, as our survival rate is less than 10%......... Scott
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Family Farm - 03/13/08 02:08 AM
Wow! Mike Otto and Shawn Banks! That's like starting a basketball team with LeBron James and Kobe Bryant.

Nice job. I'm really enjoying the photo show. First class all the way.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/13/08 02:25 AM
10. Fun - the aftermath

Family gatherings, birthdays parties, boys weekends, etc, etc, etc,.....

Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Family Farm - 03/13/08 03:47 PM
Scott:

Ain't it amazing the things a person (or family) can find to simply waste away the hours around a pond? I find myself hanging out all summer long, just STANDIN' AROUND.

My wife constantly tells me to just slow down...relax. She finally sees why I built our two ponds. That's the only place where I can actually just sit around and soak it all in.

REALLY cool that you are able to share in this fantastic playground with your kids AND your dad.

Congrats...beautiful, absolutely beautiful.
Posted By: Weissguy Re: Family Farm - 03/14/08 03:11 AM
Scott -

You mentioned having issues with tree survival rates. Sometimes we learn best by learning what NOT to do, so do you mind sharing with us why you believe you had such a low (I believe you mentioned 10%) survival rate?

I will be planting about 500 native bareroot trees (seedlings) this spring, so I am knee deep in research on the subject... and apreciate any input you might have.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/14/08 10:01 PM
Matt- agreed. I'll just drive to the farm to be there for one or two hours. My dad will go down there and trim trees. He loves it. It's about a 40 minute drive door-to-door. When I'm there, I just de-stress and wind down.........wierd that trimming trees is fun and relaxing, but it's true!

Scott
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/14/08 11:09 PM
Weissguy- OK... Here is a text book example of what NOT to do.

IDEA:

We bought approximately 400 bare root seedlings from Kansas State University. They all arrived perfect. We then proceeded to try to plant all 400 in a single weekend (or two). We invited friends to the farm for the ‘tree planting’ party. Great on paper, not so good in practice.

Some were planted too deep and some not deep enough (roots exposed). Apparently, with seedlings you have to be precise with the depth when planting. Lots of the planting took place around where the lake shoreline had been dug out and it was pure topsoil. Weeds overtook these areas, thus crowding out the seedlings. We didn’t have the resources or time to water any of the trees. Seemed like a good idea to purchase 400 trees since they were so cheap………….or were they?

RESULT:

Most trees died. Only the ‘A’ Alphas made it. All pines died. Cottonwoods lived provided they had 100% sun and a water source near. The cottonwoods that had both water and sun, but were surrounded by weeds/tall grass died. A few (the A trees) made it, but had to fight so hard to get above weeds that they are so flimsy and tall they need to be staked/tied down.

We had really good luck with the Bald Cypruss on the islands. We kept the grass mowed and they found water, as we planted them around the edges. They are doing really well (80% survival).

Also, the eastern red cedars have done really well. They haven’t grown much, but have managed to live despite being engulfed in the grass/weeds.

MOVING FORWARD:

Last year we planted 10 trees. This year we are going to plant 20.

We’re buying less and giving more care. No weeds. Water source.

The trees don’t take a ton of work, but require some. We gave the initial 400 none.

It seems so basic, but we overlooked it.

Scott

Posted By: Dave Willis Re: Family Farm - 03/15/08 02:06 PM
Scott -- have you run into that "fabric" technique for tree planting? That really keeps out the weeds and grass. You still need water, but at least you don't have to cultivate.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 03/17/08 11:31 AM
Scott, that reminds me of something an arborist once told me. It is better to plant a 50 cent tree in a $5 hole than it is to plant a $5 tree in a 50 cent hole.
Posted By: Svoberts Re: Family Farm - 03/17/08 07:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
I finally got time to look at ALL the pictures. Fantastic!

I thought Kansas was flat with no rocks - you've got a nice elevation change to work with there (envy). How big did the big pond end up?

I drove this weekend from N. Oklahoma to Ft. Riley, Kansas this weekend (hope you all felt safer, I was on Army Reserve Duty!). I was actually surprised myself to see that there is a lot of rock around KS, topsoil is only a foot deep or so and the old farms all have stone foundations and/or buildings on them. Even some really old stone walls are still around.
Posted By: Svoberts Re: Family Farm - 03/17/08 07:56 PM
I also tried the "mass planting" method. I might still have one or two trees out of 5-600 attempts. I am going to try fewer trees of better quality this year, that I can focus on and baby along.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/18/08 01:28 PM
Dave- we tried the fabric technique to kep weeds out, but the black fabric got hot and fried lots of the trees. The muclh blew off the plastic and left it exposed.

Scott
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/18/08 01:33 PM
Svoberts- we're located in the far eastern part of the state where there is way less rock. The central and southeatern part of the state by Fort Riley is in the Flint Hills which is much rockier. They also get far less rain.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/20/08 06:16 PM
11. Spillway
I forgot to add pictures of the spillway. It has an 18 inch pipe. Additionally, there is a 6 inch pipe with a hand lever to let water out of the pond if it needs to be drained. We currently have been using this feature a lot. We keep lowering the level of the pond (approximately four feet) so we can pour the foundation for the cabin. However, it keeps raining and filling back up! It's been so wet that we can't get the equipment in there to start. The forecast looks good for the next week so we are crossing our fingers.

Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/26/08 11:39 PM
Finally, a break in the weather! We have lowered the lake four feet and now only 50% of the surface area remains. This was very frustrating as we would lower it and then get rain and it would fill right back up. It took almost a month to get a break in the weather.

Jerry Donner came in and had his team push dirt out even further by creating a mini dam. We want to get the cabin surrounded by as much water as possible (shooting for 90%).

Once that was done, we spent the weekend pumping out the area as there was a small leak in the mini-dam.

Monday, the work started.

The site was then measured, trenches dug, and the foundation poured.

Here is the current status. Scott

Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 03/27/08 01:02 AM
A well orchestrated attack. All the right equipment. A very impressive and ambitious plan. Well done.
Tell us more about the foundation plan. Stuff like: Will all the footers be below the normal pool elevation; is the plan to pour walls that reach above the emergency spillway elevation and then frame up from there; what are going to be supported by the stepped footers?
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/27/08 10:43 PM
Brettski-
We're going to put a 5' deck surrounding the cabin. Deck level is 3ft above spillway and around 1’ 10” above emergency spillway. The width of the emergency spillway is double or triple normal. The foundation walls range from 8 ft to 3ft with about 60% at the three foot height. All footers are below normal pool elevation and the foundation wall top is 2’6” above normal pool elevation. Foundation work will be finalized tomorrow and that is a big relief. With rain in the forecast, this thing can fill up fast!
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/07/08 01:36 AM
OK. Foundation is complete. Once the forms were taken off, we applied a foundation water sealant since the foundation will be in constant contact with water. This crazy goop stuff was like tar. We spent an entire day applying it with rollers and were basically covered from head to toe in the crap. It required about a 1/4 inch layer. Later that night, I called my Dad and asked if he had been in the shower and he responded, "Hell yes"! I then asked if he had any luck getting the stuff off and he responded, "Hell no"!

After the foundation sealant had dried, we brought in Jerry Donner Services for the dirt work. We packed the area where the footers meet the foundation walls with clay on both the inside and outside. We then filled the inside of the foundation with clay and dirt. We will cover the dirt with a few inches of gravel. Tommorow we will continue and hopefully be finished with the dirt work. Then onto the construction of the cabin.

Scott

Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/22/08 03:24 AM
The lake is now 6" from being full. We finished filling the foundation with clay and gravel. The exterior is packed with clay as well. We are putting a 10' strip of plastic around the side walls and covering it with gravel. We started and almost completed the north wall on Sunday (photo). It was back breaking work, so we're going to recruit some friends to help this weekend with the south wall. We've got a tractor, but it's tough running the gravel out in 5 gallon buckets 10'. We're also going to run the 10' gravel strip from the cabin to our gravel beach (about 50 yards). SHould be good for wading out and also bluegill spawning areas.

The center beam has been placed on the foundation. Thursday, our builder is going to begin putting in the floor joists. They are going to hang over the exterior of the foundation 5 feet so we can put a deck on it.

Scott

Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 04/22/08 05:29 PM
Hoorah! Nothing like seeing some LVLs getting placed that close to water!
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 04/22/08 06:04 PM
Scott,
This project really intrigues me. Thanks for the progress pics and reports.
-
I don't want to ASSume anything, but is there a sump pit to remove any possible seepage?
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 04/23/08 09:54 AM
Scott
You and your dad have done a great job. Thanks for the pic. and follow ups. The story usually goes like this. The lake will be here long after the house is gone BUT NOT THIS TIME.

Otto
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/06/08 03:06 AM
Thanks Mike. You gave us some good ideas and guidance. We truly appreciate you coming up.

Lyle & Scott
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/06/08 03:14 AM
OK. Gravel, lots of it. Backbreaking work. We put in a 10' gravel strip from the existing beach to the cabin foundation. North foundation wall has a 10' strip, and the south wall has a 20' strip. We (luckily I recruited some good buddies) put down plastic first and then dumped gravel on top. Rakes, Water, 5 Gallon buckets, and lots of gravel. Dad was running the tractor and 2-3 of us worked the gravel. Brutal! Wish the lake wouldn't have filled up so fast. We tried to do this a month ago, but time/schedules didn't work out..... Also, floor joists and flooring are in! Exterior walls start tomorrow. -Scott

Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 05/06/08 10:35 AM
...and the Wow factor continues
-
I asked this on a previous post. Is there the expectation and enginnering that the foundation is water tight?
Posted By: Ryan Freeze Re: Family Farm - 05/06/08 03:53 PM
That is awesome.

A slinger truck would save a bunch of labor moving aggregates.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/14/08 03:40 AM
Making progress. The guys finished three of the walls and then a bad storm blew in over the weekend and knocked two of the walls almost completely over. They had to spend half a day repairing the damage. Guess it could have been worse so we are thankful. My dad and the boys spent the Friday night camping in a tent on the floor of the cabin. Fish are starting to bite as well, which is always nice....

Scott

Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 05/14/08 11:12 AM
Scott

Thanks for all the time you spend keeping us up dated. The place really looks great, continue to enjoy the water.
OTTO
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Family Farm - 05/14/08 12:57 PM
That is a truly amazing & awesome project.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 05/14/08 01:04 PM
Theo's right (what else is new?), that is an awesome project.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/14/08 01:08 PM
Brettski- I missed your question about the expectation that the foundation is water tight. The answer is yes and no. Once the foundation was dug, it was hard packed with clay and then filled with about 6" of gravel on the top. On the upper side of the south wall of the foundation has 3 ventilation holes. If you look at the above picture of my boys fishing off the side of the cabin (with the tent in the background ), you can see one on the left and one behind the fishing net. The north wall has the same holes about 2-3" lower. We sloped the gravel/clay from south to north so it will drain on the north side. So, in the event of a gully washer, yes, the foundation will get water in the inside. The photos above are with our lake at full capacity. So we have approximately 15" until it would hit the drain. The exterior of the foundation was covered with aquatic sealant to prevent any damage to the exterior of the foundation wall. I'll have to check with my Dad on the numbers, but the emergency spillway, is somewhere around the 15-18" above full capacity level I think.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Family Farm - 05/14/08 02:24 PM
Scott how much water shed feeds your pond and how wide is your emergency spillway?
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Family Farm - 05/15/08 01:43 AM
I've been curious where this was going, an what you were building. Somehow, I never imagined that it would be an actual house!!! It's like a house boat that doesn't float.

Just out of curiosity, did you compare what it would take to make a floating house to what it cost to do it with a concrete foundation?

Thanks for the great pictures and commentary.

Eddie
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/15/08 02:35 AM
Rockytopper- emergency spillway is around 100 feet wide. In a typical eastern Kansas year, approximately 100 acre ft/per year runs into the pond. The pond is about 5 acres.

Eddie- we actually never gave the house boat idea any thought. We were wanting a cabin and then the water around the sides evolved while designing the cabin. We originally thought about piers, but decided on the foundation concept.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/21/08 04:47 PM
Go all of the PSL beams in place. Loft and floor is now in place. They will be working on rafters this week.

Scott

Posted By: ezylman Re: Family Farm - 05/21/08 05:40 PM
How many square feet is the house going to be? Love the pictures. It is a great idea.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/21/08 10:40 PM
Ezylman- It will be 1200+ if you include the loft (main floor =960 and loft = 320). The outside eating area (left hand side of the above picture) will be an additional 600 sq feet.

Scott
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 05/22/08 12:34 AM
Wonderful.
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 05/22/08 10:22 AM
This is turning into one of the best ever.

Be sure and come to the convention and bring all the pictures.

OTTO
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/18/08 03:09 AM
OK. Back at it. We have the rafters installed and should have the roof finished tomorrow. Siding will be delivered tomorrow along with four sliding glass doors. The guys will put on the siding and windows/doors before turning their attention to the deck. Also, ordered metal sheets for the roof.

Scott

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Family Farm - 06/18/08 12:43 PM
I just looked through the entire thread again, Scott. It is an awesome construction thread PLUS there are great stop-and-smell-the-roses pictures.

Yes, Brettski, all mods do is look at the pictures. :P
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 06/18/08 03:42 PM
Great Job !!! Thanks for the update - keep them coming.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Family Farm - 06/18/08 05:45 PM
Scott, I am amazed with what you and your family have done with this property. From the pond construction, to islands with rock diving platforms and now the cabin on the water. I'm curious. Why did you choose to put the porch on the front?. I would have flipped it to face the pond. Keep sending the pic's this is an incredible project and pond property you are building.
Posted By: ezylman Re: Family Farm - 06/18/08 06:51 PM
Scott, any chance of posting your plans? I am seriously considering a similar idea for my place. I would need to increase the size though. The wife said nothing smaller than 2000 sq. ft. of inside space.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/19/08 04:10 PM
Rockytopper- the porch on the inside was just a matter preference. We will have an 16 ft walkway (6 feet wide) to enter the cabin under the outdoor porch. This will be over a swale that we dug out, so you will have to use the walkway to entert the cabin from that side- might even toy with the idea of digging it out further so the walkway crosses water as well. If you look at the first photo below, there is a rock at the bottom. The 16 ft walkway will start here and extend to the porch. On the opposite side of the outdoor porch we will have a 22 ft dock (6 ft wide) extending towards the island. Our architecht, my uncle Sam, designed it so when you walk in, you will see straight thru to the opposite dock pointing towards the island. Additionally, there will be a 5 foot deck surrounding the entire cabin.

Ezylman- All we have are architecture blueprints which are 3ft x 3ft in size. I'll see if we can get something in electronic format to post. Increasing size shouldn't be a problem. We originally were going to go smaller, as we wanted the small, cabin feel to it, but it grew, and grew and got grander and grander as my Dad and Sam sat down to design it. It was originally going to be the cabin only with no porch and not extended out over the water. I guess that is what happens when you sit down to design a cabin with an architect over a bottle of wine.....

Here are some more photos from yesterday.

Scott

Posted By: ezylman Re: Family Farm - 06/19/08 04:19 PM
Scott...

I look forward to seeing your plans. I am really intrigued by doing something like that here. Do you know what kind of a cost increase you had by designing it like that instead of going with a traditional slab or a traditional pier and beam foundation?

As far as the bottle of wine goes, just be glad the plans weren't done over a bottle of tequila. When tequila is involved, things just never turn out right. \:\)
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 06/20/08 09:30 AM
Thanks for the up date. You guys have done a great job.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

OTTO
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/21/08 03:39 AM
Thanks Mike. Do you remember how nasty that day was when you drove up to Kansas? Gnarly wind and rain. We ended up at the local cafe. We'd love to be able to come to the conference, but schedules don't permit this year. Maybe the next year as it sounds fun.

Scott

PS- you look more enthusiastic in the second photo \:\)

Posted By: ezylman Re: Family Farm - 06/23/08 04:47 PM
Scott...

I still like the lake house idea, but my wife shot me down. She is convinced we would have multitudes of cottonmouths sunning on the deck outside the house. She runs when she even sees a picture of one, so needless to say, she wants the house away from the pond.
Posted By: Kathy Lovell Re: Family Farm - 06/23/08 04:47 PM
Hi,

Once again technology rules...

Mike Otto wanted me to let everyone on the forum know that he has had a major crash in his email system and webpage server and he can't use either at this time. He is working furiously to try and correct the problem and will be back on the forum as soon as he can. You can contact Mike at the office 1-940-665-2258 or 800-882-3478 from 8 am- 12 noon, Mon-Fri.

Kathy
Pond Boss Magazine
Office Manager
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/02/08 12:26 AM
Ezylman- too bad about the cottonmouths. Luckily, we don't have snake problems where we're at in Kansas. A few water snakes here and there, but that's about it. If we did, I'm sure the cabin would be well up on shore.

Got the cabin wrapped in Tyvek, and the Hardie board on it. Also, got the windows and doors on it. Painting should start in the next few days. Also, the metal roof should start Thursday. Then we'll head into the decking part of things. The fireplaces are in and we're picking up them up on Thursday morning. They are 42" Rumfords and will be placed at the far ends (one on the inside and one on the porch). We have to pick them up and haul them in a trailer to the cabin. -and they only weigh a zillion pounds each..........

Scott

Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 07/02/08 03:00 AM
Scott,
Your project continues to take pond projects OTT and to the next level. It looks absolutely awesome. I am really impressed.
Posted By: ezylman Re: Family Farm - 07/02/08 12:46 PM
Scott...

Project is looking great. Keep up the good work and keep sending pictures.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 07/02/08 01:20 PM
That truly is a magnificant cabin.

Here is California we can't build withing 100 feet of the pond. So my house is gonna be 101 feet from the pond.

You are building that cabin with first class materials Scott. Hardie board siding and metal roofing. That cabin should really hold up.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 07/02/08 01:26 PM
Even though I'm not supposed to I find myself coveting my (forum) neighbors house.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Family Farm - 07/02/08 02:05 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Here is California we can't build withing 100 feet of the pond. So my house is gonna be 101 feet from the pond.

Reading about that restriction makes me wonder WHY? \:o \:o

Is the California Fire dept. afraid you would possibly save your own home in a fire if a water source is near?

BTW Very cool cabin?
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 07/02/08 02:27 PM
Rainman, In California you learn very quickly to stop asking why regulations exist. Otherwise you will drive yourself crazy - trust me.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Family Farm - 07/02/08 04:00 PM
"None of it makes any sense; you just have to know what forms to fill out."

-Radar O'Reilly, M*A*S*H
Posted By: ezylman Re: Family Farm - 07/02/08 05:27 PM
Scott...

Look into doing spray foam insulation compared to doing fiberglass bats. The spray between joists, rafter, and studs to make an airtight envelope. It also is very compatible with vaulted ceilings and metal roofs. If it is an option where the cabin is located, it should decrease your energy consumption by 60% or more. Just a thought.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: Family Farm - 07/02/08 08:59 PM
icenune is great stuff we just did it. It cost more but will save you in the long run. The roofers and other locals thought we were crazy for not letting the roof breathe. Wife did all the research. I just found this thread. VERY NICE layout.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/02/08 11:32 PM
Guys- Thanks for the tips on insulation. We will definitely check it out.

Today we had the painter come in and get the base painted and caulked. The decking will start tomorrow, weather permiting.

Also, the roofing crew came in and got the roof installed.

The exterior is getting close....

Scott

Posted By: Brett295 Re: Family Farm - 07/03/08 05:49 PM
Looks great. When is the grand opening?
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 07/03/08 11:17 PM
First That may have been the worst day that I actually worked in.

You guys did a great job. The best picture was the young man jumping in the water. That is what we are all about.

Otto
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: Family Farm - 07/07/08 03:04 PM
I just had to go through this all again from the start. I am thoroughly impressed...and oh, so envious. You've got a place to decompress for the rest of your lives.

Truly beautiful...
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 07/15/08 10:14 AM
Keep the pictures coming.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/16/08 11:15 PM
Grand opening was a few weeks back. We had family and friends out July 3rd for fireworks off the island. It was a great time. We put down sheets of plywood on the deck so we could walk around.

Lot's of little stuff has been done the past few weeks. Kind of the touch up stuff. Had the inspection today and only had one minor item. The primer coat of paint has been applied and the painter should finish the final coat this week. The color will be Stone 2112-40. The guys are putting up the posts for the deck. We are going to run cable railing horizontally, instead of vertical spindles/rails.-like what you see on a boat. Once finished, they will start the decking.

Scott

Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 07/17/08 03:29 PM
THAT LOOKS GREAT. YOU GUYS HAVE MADE THIS SITE THE JEWELL OF THE FOURM

oTTO
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/28/08 03:37 AM
Just got back from vacation and got a chance to run out and see the cabin. -unfortunately for only 1 1/2 hours as I've got business travel first thing in the morning. Would have loved to have spent the night there! Painter is finished and deck is 90% complete. Remaining exterior: Windows on each side of the chimney (Lake side), paint the doors, and add the cabling to the rail posts.

-Scott

PS- Also, got our second fish feeder going..... Cats and Bass were hammering the food (AquaMax600)!!!!!

Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 07/28/08 10:42 AM
Thanks for the pictures, Hope your work schedule slows down so you can enjoy the place more.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 07/28/08 05:04 PM
What an awesome place.
Posted By: davatsa Re: Family Farm - 07/29/08 01:46 AM
Nice photos, Scott! I'd love to have a cabin just like yours someday!
Posted By: MarkECIN Re: Family Farm - 07/30/08 12:36 AM
This is going to be an awesome place. Neat, neat, neat! ...I like it!:)
Posted By: david u Re: Family Farm - 08/02/08 06:01 PM
Very nice. It sure filled up in a hurry(envy). Noticed the bois d'arc & locust trees. Might check forum on unwanted plants in case your not wild about trees with 4-8" spikes around where those young folks will be playing..the locust trees that is..
Stupid me, didn't see the last 4 pages before posting.. unbelievable no one will want to post any of their projects after this.
Posted By: ezylman Re: Family Farm - 08/02/08 10:44 PM
Scott...

It is looking real good. Here are a couple of ideas/suggestions:

1. Put a 2x4 under your composite railing to stiffen it up some. If you put it in edge and center it under that decking board, it should keep deflection to a minimum.

2. I can't remember what you said you were going to use for balusters, but have you considered running a cable every 6 inches or so? It wouldn't infringe on the view at all and it would be a good bit cheaper than using wood.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/12/08 11:57 PM
We took a two month break on construction. Since I last posted, we've finished the decking and top railing (ezylman-that's a good idea on the composite as it's flimsy. We decide to use cedar for the railing/skirt). I put up two strands of clothes lines for the horizontal railing for now. We will put in horizontal cable, like what you see on a sailboat. The windows on the west side have also been installed. Last weekend we had the first annual fish fry. Caught about 7 Cats and had aunts/uncles/cousins out for the party. The cats (stocked April 2006) are 17-20 inches long/2.5-4 lbs. The the bass (stocked September 2006) are 14-15 inches 1.5-2 lbs. We've been hitting them hard with AquaMax 600 and Purina Catfish Food.

Now we are getting back to full steam on the interior. I will post as we begin in the next few weeks. We'll start with wiring, and then insulation. Finally, we will trim the interior out in Knotty Pine.

-Scott

Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Family Farm - 09/13/08 12:02 AM
nice update scott, the place looks phenomenal. the fish and kids smiles do to \:\)
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/13/08 12:11 AM
It's all business for the little men........ Serious, serious situation.
Posted By: RB Blackshear Re: Family Farm - 09/13/08 04:06 AM
wow simply AMAZING. Love the sunsets as well.
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 09/13/08 11:25 AM
Great thanks for the pictures.

AS ALWAYS I LIKE THE PICTURES WITH THE KIDS THAT ARE HAVING FUN.
oTTO
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 09/13/08 02:18 PM
Great photos. What an amazing place you have there Scott.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 09/13/08 04:51 PM
This rates as one of the best projects I've seen on Pond Boss, or anywhere for that matter!
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 09/13/08 04:56 PM
Yeah, sign me up for the drop-jaw list. Awesome!
Posted By: Ric Swaim Re: Family Farm - 09/13/08 07:07 PM
I'm with Brettski. Me too!
I see you have a clock on the wall in your work area so you know when it's time to put the hammer down & throw a line out the door!
Posted By: mtnpondlady Re: Family Farm - 09/16/08 05:07 PM
I'm speechless, wow!!!!!
Posted By: Rad Re: Family Farm - 09/17/08 02:56 AM
Love that house in the pond look. Like living on a boat.
Posted By: Pottsy Re: Family Farm - 09/17/08 03:25 AM
Wow, absolutely wow... amazing place.
Posted By: Bruce Condello Re: Family Farm - 09/17/08 12:31 PM
I'm enjoying every single picture and every single word of this.
Posted By: n8ly Re: Family Farm - 09/17/08 12:49 PM
I have too much stuff to think about already!!!
That is one of the best looking LMB pics I have seen! Such a young fish with lots of potential.
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 09/17/08 08:25 PM
Any time There is a picture of a youngster with a fish is a great picture
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/18/08 12:46 AM
All- Thanks for the kind words. We finished electrical today and have the inspection tomorrow. A buddy of mine helped get it knocked out last weekend and we had a few remaining items that my Dad completed today. We are going to use solar panels mounted on the garage and have a trench dug to the cabin. It was cost prohibitive to run power to the cabin. This was a bummer as I wanted to aerate the pond. Kind of ironic since power lines run down the west side of the property..............

Another good buddy of mine is the GM for an insulation company, and insulating should be finished by Saturday. We're putting in R-19 throughout. Monday we begin trimming out the interior with knotty pine and putting in the 18' entrance (extended over water) and a 24' fishing dock. I'll post photos as we progress.

Monday, another good buddy flew me over the property in a small two seat plane and I snapped a few photos. It was a pretty cool experience.

Good to have good buddies.........

-Scott
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 09/18/08 01:44 AM
You are very fortunate to have that aerial option available, Scott. Those are real keeper shots, man.
-
There is a small contingent of us out here that are very interested in solar power for homes. Come back with details and pics on that part, too.
-
...continued kudos for a PB showcase home
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/26/08 08:05 PM
Electrical and Insulation (R-19) is complete. We are now onto trimming out the inside with knotty pine. Next week we will also begin the bridge entrance and dock. -Scott

Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 09/26/08 08:37 PM
Scott, what do you mean regarding and 18' entry way over the water?
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/26/08 08:52 PM
Sunil- It's a bit tough to explain. If you look at the photo below, imagine that you are walking a straight line to the outdoor patio (along the cedars). Where it drops down, there will be water (we are pulling the land back a bit to create this). So we are placing an 18' walkway that will go over the water to the outside patio. Additionally, if you would continue walking the same angle thru the outside patio, there will then be a 24' dock extending out over the water on the opposite side. I'll post photos next week and it will make more sense. -Scott

Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Family Farm - 09/26/08 09:33 PM
what happens if a tornado goes thru?

i dont mean to be flip....well maybe i do, but the thought did cross my mind
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/26/08 11:44 PM
Dave- page two of this thread shows photos of our storm shelter. Also, there is a crawl space under the cabin about two feet high and completely surrounded by the foundation. Hope it doesn't come to that, but we've got two options just in case........ -Scott
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 09/27/08 02:50 PM
Lordy, just when I'm almost recovered from BuckeyeWilly's photos WHAM it happens again. I need to go lay down.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/09/08 01:34 AM
Quite a bit has been going on at the farm. We're getting back to full speed after the summer lull. Jerry Donner and Company are on the scene, which means stuff is happening.

We had the concrete poured so we can now put in both of the fireplaces, Rumfords. It's more or less a 5'x3' pad of concrete which is tied into the footings of the foundation. They will be placed at opposite ends of the cabin. One will be outdoors on the covered patio and the other in the main room of the cabin. We dry stacked one of them just to practice, so we know what we are doing once we have mortar. We only stacked them three blocks high in the firebox for practice. They normally are stacked five blocks high in the firebox, so they will be taller once we mortar...

Today, Jerry's crew showed up with the boat dock. It's a steel frame 24' long, 6' wide, with supports sunk into the ground with pilings. Here are some of the photos. They put barrels under the dock to float it, and then measured it for the correct angle in relation to the cabin. Next, they drove pilings into the ground with the hoe, and then used jacks to level it.

Mike is still trimming out the interior. Once finished I'll post the interior.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 10/09/08 12:05 PM
Scott, you are very brave to be working with concrete blocks while wearing flip-flop sandals!

Awesome project.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Family Farm - 10/09/08 12:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
Scott, you are very brave to be working with concrete blocks while wearing flip-flop sandals!

Look closely. They're steel-toed. ;\)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Scott, if this Summer has been a lull in your activity at the Family Farm, an intense period would exhaust me just reading about it.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/09/08 04:07 PM
Sunil- yeah, that probably wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done.....
Theo- I'm afraid exhaustion shall be heading your way.....It's time to take it up a few notches.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/10/08 03:50 AM
Today - moved a bunch of dirt and started the bridge entrance. The idea is to suspend a 16'long x 6' wide bridge over water that will connect to the decking on the outdoor patio. This will be the entrance to the cabin.-kind of like walking over a moat. To create this effect, the land had to be sculpted.

Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Family Farm - 10/10/08 01:02 PM
Scott,

I really admire what you are creating. It's truly unique and inspirational!!!!! You guys seem to have the approach that is so rare in most people, you get an idea and you make it happen. No thinking about it forever, no talking yourself out of it, you just go out and do it.

I'm curious about the Firerock fireplace. I've never seen this before, but have been wanting to add a fireplace to my home. I've just about talked myself into going propane because of the expense and effort to build on proper firebox for wood. That looks like a simple solution to my problem. Do you have any experience with them, or is this your first time using it? Can you tell me what it cost? Do you have to use the blocs for the chimney, or can you use tripple walled pipe? I have a metal roof and where it will go is throught he middle of the metal roof. Pipe would be allot easier for me if I go this route.

Thank you,
Eddie
Posted By: Rainman Re: Family Farm - 10/10/08 10:20 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Lordy, just when I'm almost recovered from BuckeyeWilly's photos WHAM it happens again. I need to go lay down.

I'm with JHAP on this incredible saga.

This may well be the only time I wish no photos had ever been posted. I barely dealt with the lighthouse and then this thread started and is just phenominal. Ive never been a man to envy someone...................till now!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Family Farm - 10/11/08 04:11 AM
Well, to add to your Lighthouse Envy and Family Farm Envy, here is some Hat Envy:

Posted By: Rainman Re: Family Farm - 10/11/08 04:36 AM
Someone photoshop in some oreos and cheetos please!

Real men DON'T wear pink!.......................EVER!!!!!
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 10/11/08 10:24 AM
The hat should not be on your head OR the shi(r)t should not be on your back.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 10/11/08 10:32 AM
Is there a bird in the hat store, or did Otto's "r" key freeze up?
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Family Farm - 10/11/08 03:10 PM
Oh, the horror!! This was like one of those videos where you're watching intently, and then someone jumps in front of the camera and screams - real loud! Here I'm sitting enjoying Scott's latest addition to one of the best threads I've ever followed and them "the hat". My day is ruined.....
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Family Farm - 10/11/08 04:40 PM
My work here is done ... for now. Bwa-ha-ha!
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/11/08 08:02 PM
That is a really funny photo. Despite a bad color, pink, what you need to realize is that they are 'Quality Hats, at Affordable Prices'. This is usually what I'm looking for at a truck stop.............
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 10/12/08 01:54 AM
I should have won the Nobel Prize for taking that photo.

Bruce was a great sport it letting me take the picture.

Not very men are confident enough in their manliness to allow JHAP to take a photo like that all the while knowing it would be put to some nefarious uses on the internet. Well not very many sane men anyway.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/20/08 03:49 AM
It's been a while, but we're back at it after a bit of a hiatus. It's deer season, so I need to prioritize..... Finishing up the outside bridge entrance and also completed the dock. We're getting fairly close on finishing the interior trim and both of the fireplaces. I'll post more of interior and fireplaces in the next few weeks once completed.

-Scott

Posted By: rmedgar Re: Family Farm - 11/20/08 02:15 PM
Scott, great pictures as always.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 11/20/08 03:27 PM
Wow.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/21/08 04:05 AM
Just got photos off the other camera. Interior is knotty pine and almost trimmed out. The fireplaces are under way, but a bit of work in progress. Here are a few photos of the outside fireplace. Since the photos, we have completed the exterior fireplace, but it still needs a chimney and a few interior bricks.

Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Family Farm - 11/23/08 03:37 PM
Scott,

More great pictures!!! You guys are really creating a fun place!!!! Is this going to be your home or a weekend getaway?

That ceiling is sure going to be painful to stain and seal!! One thing that I learned with ceilings is to work your way across the boards. If you do as much as you can in an area, there will be an overlap line when you move down the boards. For really big jobs, I like to spray on the stain with a hand pump bottle, and wipe it off with a rag. The trick is to keep moving and not let it dry before you move on down the board. Speed is king!!

The fireplace looks really good. I was wondering about the fire brick. Do you have to use a special type of morter for the brick? I'm lookng forward to seeing how you finish off the outside of the fireplace. With so many choices of rock and rock vineer, it's amazing what's availble.

Any special plans for the mantels? I can see a large log, either squared or left round on the front and bottom, but with some fishing or wildlife carved into it. I love to carve wood, so for me, that's always something special that I enjoy and look for in custom wood work.

Thanks for the pics and update,
Eddie
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 11/26/08 10:33 AM
As always great. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/04/08 03:51 AM
Eddie- thanks for the insight on applying the stain and sealing. The knotty pine looks really good and we'd like to keep the color the way it is if possible by sealing. Do you know of any products that can maintain the natural look? It seems to yellow over the years.... We'd like to avoid this, but not sure if it's possible.

The outside fireplace has now been completely stacked/mortared and the interior firebricks have also been installed/mortared. We have the chimney, but it's not installed. This one has been put on hold, as the inside one will allow us to hang out in the cabin this winter and early spring.

The inside fireplace is now stacked with mortar and the interior firebricks have been installed. -Dad is the man! He's put in some serious hours on the two fireplaces.

The interior bricks were scored 1/4 inch with a with a masonry blade, and then broken with a 3-4" wide chisel and hammer.

We plan on spending the night Friday. Temperatures should dip into the mid teens, so we'll find out quickly if it works.

Happy Holidays,

Scott

Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 02/07/09 06:15 AM
It's been brutal cold, but we've made some progress this winter! Interior is basically complete. Cabinets and bar have been installed. Need to get the carpet and pad down in the loft. Here are a few photos. Once the weather gets warmer, we'll tackle the solar system and finish the outdoor fireplace.

-Scott

Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 02/07/09 12:17 PM
As is the always the case great.
Posted By: Ryno Re: Family Farm - 04/15/09 07:32 AM
Any updates on the place? This is by far one of the neatest projects I have ever seen.
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Family Farm - 04/15/09 11:48 AM
I'm with Ryno, any updates?

I just realized that I never saw that last set of pictures. The one with the snow and ice is just amazing. It looks SOOO COLD!!!!!

This is the coolest house ever and I'm looking forward to more pics and commentary.

Thanks,
Eddie
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 04/15/09 03:48 PM
All that I can say is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!
Posted By: Sgt911 Re: Family Farm - 04/15/09 05:03 PM
WOW!
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/29/09 01:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I took off the last 3-4 months since the weather was so bad, but will start posting again as time permits. The cabin is almost finished. Last week, the guys put in a five foot sidewalk extending from the garage to the cabin entrance. We are working on the outside kitchen and fireplace in the next few weeks. I will post photos of this. It will be a counter top surrounding the outdoor fireplace on both sides with gas, charcoal, and two burners dropped in. Additionally, we are putting in a solar system. The panels will be placed on the garage and we've run a trench from the garage to the cabin.

-Scott

Posted By: rockytopper Re: Family Farm - 04/29/09 02:47 PM
Scott, I am simply amazed at what you guys have done with this project. I like many other here have built a pond/home retreat it was my dream from a very early age. I think this project deserves a front cover and article in PB mag. It would inspire others who have this dream and have just not followed it threw. It would also be a great topic at the conference for new comers to the PB world and life style.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Family Farm - 04/30/09 03:26 AM
That black soil looks so fertile! Great looking project...
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Family Farm - 04/30/09 12:34 PM
Scott,

Thanks for the update. I always look for your posts when I'm on here and find what you are doing to be very interesting. While building a pond is pretty exciting, once it's done, there's not much to it except what you build around it. I think Pond Boss is really missing out by not focusing more attention on what people build around their ponds. To me, that's what makes a pond unique and special. You have made your pond very unique and maybe one of the most interesting ponds in the nation!!!!!!!!!

Eddie
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 04/30/09 01:23 PM
As always looks great.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/16/09 01:07 PM
The inside is nearly complete. We still need to add rock around the fireplace. We got a large stone cut for the hearth. It's three inches thick. We also added another hearth stone to the outdoor fireplace. Additionally, we got the railing on the outside deck and the inside loft installed.

The solar system is five panels and 12 batteries. I'll post more of this when I get photos. The remaining item is the outdoor kitchen which has taken a little longer than expected. We plan on getting more stone from the stone company and putting a two inch counter top on both sides of the fireplace. The idea is to have a charcoal grill on one side, a gas with two burners on the other and then have a 12" wide bar with four stools.

-Scott

Posted By: rockytopper Re: Family Farm - 06/16/09 02:08 PM
Scott I get more amazed every time you post. Wow is all I can say.
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 06/16/09 02:25 PM
As a "why hire someone if you can do it yourself" type of guy, I'm simply blown away at the quality and scope of the work that is getting accomplished. My hats' off to you!

Nice sized Bullfrog to boot! I'll bet the kids are in heaven playing around and fishing in the pond.
Posted By: TwoLakes Re: Family Farm - 06/16/09 02:41 PM
Scott,

Thanks for keeping this post updated with pictures and commentary. The pictures are very good. Like others have stated, this is one fantastic project.

All the kids will one day realize just how lucky they were to have a place like this to spend time and explore.
Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 06/16/09 02:57 PM
Amazing, interested if in one of the last pictures if that is a bank of batteries and if so what are they use for?
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 06/16/09 04:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: Scott Krehbiel
The solar system is five panels and 12 batteries. I'll post more of this when I get photos.

Posted By: Gflo Re: Family Farm - 06/16/09 05:29 PM
I have never been so jealous of anything in my life. Holy crap. Beautiful property.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Family Farm - 06/16/09 09:39 PM
Quite a nice package... The house, the pond, the property and of course family. Very nice!
Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Family Farm - 06/16/09 10:47 PM
That is one first class cabin, great job, makes me think about building a small cabin overhanging the pond so I wouldn't have to walk the 150 ft. down to the water.
Fantastic place you have.
Posted By: dvr Re: Family Farm - 06/26/09 10:40 AM
Scott, as everyone else has said - what a great read! Question: i dont recall any discussion of plumbing for your cabin. Doesn't look like you have plans for any running water, correct?

I'm curious because we have a good well on our place, and have been considering water to the cabin, which sits on one of the lowest elevations on the property right next to the pond. But running drain lines uphill (with no electricty) is tough, and we don't want to put any refuse in the pond of couse.

Did you address this in some manner at your place, or just doing without?
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 06/28/09 09:48 AM
GREAT
Posted By: dvr Re: Family Farm - 06/28/09 10:40 AM
Scott, the last time i read all the way through your thread (which is really inspirational, by the way; thanks for taking the time to share all your experiences), you were beginning the solar power installation and i see the system nearly complete in these latest pics. That is something we're strongly considering as well. Can you share any tips on installation or startup issues? Any particular manufacturers of equipment or materials?
Posted By: Jed58 Re: Family Farm - 06/28/09 03:32 PM
I cannnot seem to wipe this green off of me.....
Posted By: Walt Foreman Re: Family Farm - 06/29/09 04:17 AM
That cabin is uber-fantastic. Not much more to say than that - Scott, we're not worthy.
Posted By: Mark Brown Re: Family Farm - 06/30/09 12:37 AM
Wow! Very very nice! Well done.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 07/01/09 01:53 PM
Absolutely incredible. Great job Scott.
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 07/02/09 09:43 AM
Thanks
You guys did a good job
Posted By: SvnT3Stngray Re: Family Farm - 07/06/09 06:36 PM
Scott is my brother in law. We spent the evening and also overnight at the cabin last week. Fantastic. The pine wood "knotty?" is great. My girlfriend got to do two things she's never done, kayak and catch a 5lb. catfish. I also caught 4-5 bass around the 2-2.5 range. What a great place, I could have spent the whole week out there. Thanks Scott, we had a great time, I hope I don't owe you too many more Budweiser selects...
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Family Farm - 07/06/09 06:41 PM
Howdy, Sting! Glad you made it up from Chile.
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 07/07/09 10:07 AM
Glad to have you on board.
Tell us a little about yourself.
Posted By: PFV Re: Family Farm - 07/23/09 11:43 PM
Holy crap!!! That's the kinda stuff I would do.....if I hit a BIG Lotto Jackpot!

Dude, you are blessed. That is simply amazing!

May you live a long, long time to enjoy it.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/17/09 12:39 AM
I'm Scott's dad and with Scott co-owner of the farm. Scott is in Colorado Elk hunting this week, but I will be at the PB convention this weekend. Hope to see some of you.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/17/09 12:47 AM
Not much got done on the project this summer but we are now working on finishing up the outdoor kitchen and getting a final inspection on the cabin.

Also working on the solar system. Today I got the charging system hooked up and running so the solar panels are now charging the battery bank. Still left to do is hooking up the inverter.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 09/17/09 02:11 AM
I may have said this, but I think my favorite part(s) of this project are the fireplaces and grills, especially that outdoor setup you got going. Would like to see the finished product. You and your family are living the dream guys. Keep it up and thanks for the incredible documentation. Inspiring.
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 09/17/09 10:25 AM
Lyle

When you get to the conferance be sure you look me up to say hello.

Mike Otto
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/19/09 12:01 AM
Thanks Omaha, the cabin does have a lot of outdoor space. We didn't realize how much until we calculated how much decking to buy. We were surprised to see that the our 960 square foot cabin had over 1300 of outside deck. One thing we really like is that with deck on all sides of the cabin there is always one side that is more comfortable to be on than any of the other sides.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 09/20/09 01:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel
Thanks Omaha, the cabin does have a lot of outdoor space. We didn't realize how much until we calculated how much decking to buy. We were surprised to see that the our 960 square foot cabin had over 1300 of outside deck. One thing we really like is that with deck on all sides of the cabin there is always one side that is more comfortable to be on than any of the other sides.

That's just great. Who wants to be indoors anyway?
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 09/21/09 03:23 AM
Pond Boss III Convention "Project of the Year: 2009" award to Scott and Lyle Krehbiel.

Thanks for the ride, Gentlemen!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/28/09 10:14 PM
Thanks Sunil and thanks to Pond Boss and the moderators for choosing us for this honor. We really appreciate it. I enjoyed the convention and meeting so many of the Pond Boss folks.

I've been working on the project this past week and will be posting the new activities in the very near future.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 09/29/09 12:37 AM
How about a few new pics of the project as it now stands with narration ? \:\)
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 09/29/09 02:31 PM
Thanks Sunil and thanks to Pond Boss and the moderators for choosing us for this honor. We really appreciate it. I enjoyed the convention and meeting so many of the Pond Boss folks.

You absolutely deserved this recognition Lyle, your project is truly inspiring.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/29/09 06:02 PM
Eric, I will do that. I started to do so yesterday and discovered I don't know how to add photos. I will see Scott this afternoon and learn how from him.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/29/09 06:05 PM
Thanks very much Jeff.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/29/09 10:11 PM
In the spring we started working on the outdoor kitchen. We ordered a charcoal grill, a gas grill, and two side burners. Then we finished the fireplace by installing the chimney.

Here are Scott and I with the first ever fire in the outdoor fireplace.

We also started working on the outdoor kitchen counters in the spring.

I was out of town most of the summer so progress was halted. Scott and I own the farm together and we also work together in a business I founded in 1993. Scott has been with the business since 2002 and has removed most of my load from me allowing me to do fun stuff like the farm projects while he does real work.

In September I got the project moving again and just last week we got the counter-tops the grills and the burners installed.

We also added a 13" wide bar along one side. Here is the first time the bar was used. The boys are my grandsons, Scott's sons. Tom, age 6 is on my left and Jack, age 9, is on my right. The three of us spent last weekend there.

qq

Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 09/30/09 12:14 AM
Did I mention how much I like the outdoor grill/fireplace?

Seriously, that's just great. Love the shot of the finished product, 2nd to last. Nice job as always.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/03/09 12:48 AM
Thanks Omaha, I think we will be having a lot of fun in the outdoor kitchen.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/03/09 12:58 AM
Today my cousin, Sam Frey, sent some great photos and I will share some of them here. Sam is the architect who designed the cabin, and it was his idea to have it out in the water.

Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 10/03/09 01:02 AM
Lyle thanks for sharing the pics. Great family shots.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 10/03/09 02:25 AM
Man, those are like magazine quality. Nice job.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/23/09 01:11 AM
Some big milestones were achieved the last two weeks.
1. Completed wiring the solar system
2. Passed final inspection from the county

We have had the cabin wired for about a year now and in order to have light we carried a deep cycle battery back and forth from home to the cabin and used a little inverter with a double ended extension cord and plugged it into the cabin electric system. This was lots better than no lights but I ruined several pairs of jeans with battery acid and the amount of power was limited.

Last March I designed and ordered the solar system and in June we installed the four solar panels on the garage roof. Also in June we installed a normal electrical panel in the garage and ran underground cable to the cabin and a sub-panel in the cabin.

I didn't get back to working on solar until several weeks ago. Got it wired up and it's working great. When the county inspected it they said it was the first solar system in the county.

The four solar panels produce a maximum of 520 watts and go through a charging system to 12 AGM deep cycle batteries of 100 amp hours each. The batteries feed a 3600 watt inverter which creates the normal 120v AC household current which is fed to the breaker box.

The system is designed for light usage and with more emphasis on batteries than solar panels since usage will not be everyday. Hence, provide battery for two or three day usage periods and then expect the panels to have a number of no usage days to charge the batteries back up.

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Family Farm - 10/23/09 01:39 AM
1. Completed wiring the solar system

I gotta admit, I was thinking "My very educated mother just served us nine pizzas" there for a little while.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 10/23/09 01:50 AM
It turned out great, Lyle. Nice clean job. Is the backup LPG gennie on the drawing board?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 10/23/09 01:51 AM
True or modified sine wave?
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 10/23/09 11:36 AM
Lyle thanks for the pictures they are great. As always

Brettski you could be next on the project of the year.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/23/09 01:04 PM
Thanks Mike
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/23/09 01:30 PM
Thanks Brettski,

The system is built from "Outback" products and the inverter is true sine wave.

As for generator backup there is switching wired in such that we can manually switch over to generator power and have the generator feed both the electrical system to run the cabin and also the charger to charge the batteries. We would use the little 5000 watt gas generator that we have used for construction. We expect to rarely or never use generator power except for construction needs. The cabin is intended for only part time usage and the cabin's electrical load has been kept small - fans, lights, and computers for the most part. And I hope to teach my grandkids some energy conservation (course I never did do a very good job of getting my son Scott to turn off lights when he was young \:\)
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 10/23/09 01:47 PM
Is that the Outback inverter that has 2 separate 120v units built into it to provide 240 without adding another 120v inverter?
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/23/09 05:34 PM
No, this one is only single phase. However this is an expandable system and we could add more inverters and have two phases.
Posted By: mikel Re: Family Farm - 10/28/09 04:06 AM
Lyle, as I read through this thread my hat is off to you for keeping your family so close. I'm sure Scott and the grand kids are proud of you. Not only should you get pond boss awards you should get DAD of the year awards. Thanks, for you and Scott sharing this tremendous project with us.

By the way I looked back over those pictures while Scott was flying over the property and I didn't see where our camper hook-ups were located. I'm sure you want the pond boss family to drop by from time to time for a little R & R. Just teasing, great job guys.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 10/28/09 12:44 PM
The Krehbiel family shows a great propensity to lift and transport very heavy objects, by hand, when wearing sandal-type shoes.
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Family Farm - 10/28/09 01:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: Sunil
The Krehbiel family shows a great propensity to lift and transport very heavy objects, by hand, when wearing sandal-type shoes.

Sunil, if you'd done a little research, you'd know that "krehbiel" is actually German for "black toe".
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/31/09 01:03 AM
Mikel, thanks for the kind words. The whole idea for the farm is as a retreat where family and friends can get together and enjoy getting away from it all and enjoy one another's company. I especially enjoy all the fun the kids have there.

My hope is that this will be a family legacy passed down at least several generations.

We will put camper hookups on the to do list \:\)
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/05/09 08:37 PM
The past several months have been spent enjoying the farm/lake/cabin with not much going on in the way of construction. Its really nice to have the cabin building project 99% done.

After a warm fall we are now having cold winter weather (lows in teens and highs in 30s). This fall we put insulation in the floor joists, 12" thick and R38. Also new this winter is a ceiling fan to move the warm air from the vaulted ceiling down to the floor level. With the addition of these two changes we are finding much warmer floors and much easier to heat with the fireplace only. We have already burned a cord of firewood. We use Osage Orange firewood. Osage Orange, called hedge in this part of the world, is a tree not known to much of the country. It is mostly considered a trash tree around here and is very prevalent - there couldn't be a better tree for producing heat as it has about the highest heat value of any firewood.

We had a painting project this fall to add some bar stools to the new outdoor bar. I put my wife and grandkids to work on the project.

Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 12/05/09 09:47 PM
Did each one pick out his/her own color ?
Posted By: eddie_walker Re: Family Farm - 12/07/09 04:39 AM
Looks like a fun project. I don't have a paved driveway, and as a result, my gravel has become all sorts of different colors from painting projects with the kids. It looks like they were trying real hard to add more color to your driveway!!!!!

Eddie
Posted By: scott69 Re: Family Farm - 12/08/09 12:15 AM
i wish i was closer, i could hook you up with an asphalt driveway..
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/08/09 02:09 AM
Eric, yes, they picked their own color so now they have their own stools for life.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/08/09 02:11 AM

Eddie, it was good we had plenty of paint because only a small percentage got on the stools.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 12/08/09 02:18 AM
That will be a good memory of the day. I expect there are a lot of those with your outstanding project. Some of ours are trees we planted around the pond and shallow water fish hotels constructed years ago - and the trees are getting big now.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 01:54 AM
We had a nice family Christmas at the cabin. This was the second year for a cabin Christmas and the cabin was sure in a lot nicer condition this year. Last year at this time there was a lot of construction yet to do. It was a cold day in the teens but with a good fire in the fireplace it was cozy.

We are trying to establish a tradition of cutting a tree, making the decorations for the tree, and decorating the tree. We have lots of cedar trees on the property.

When we cut the tree each person takes a turn with the saw.

And when the four kids weren't busy with Christmas they hung out in the loft - i believe quite a bit of rough housing took place.

Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 01:58 AM
INSPIRATIONAL !
I want one.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 02:36 AM
<---speechless
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 02:41 AM
That sure looks like fun. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 03:28 PM
Eric, Brettski, Omaha, thanks for the kind remarks - makes the effort of posting rewarding.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 03:49 PM
Lyle,
Tell me about the pine interior (it is pine, right?); include some details. I assume it is 3/4" thick T&G...? Did you lay in a drywall fireblock before installation? Face nail, or hidden at T&G? Finish nails or wire brads? I can't imagine you filled the nails holes. Finish on the pine?
-
And....perhaps the most important thing. What did you learn (or bring to the table) that is/are great tips for this kind of installation?
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 04:14 PM
Our area had a large snow on Christmas day and since then we have had bitterly cold weather and several more significant snows. Right before the end of the year Scott and his two boys and my nephew Shawn and his boy and I spent an afternoon and night at the farm. For the first time we got to test out our sledding hill. The boys had a blast and went non-stop for almost two hours. Scott was in a tree stand on another property a little over a mile away and could hear us.

When we finished sledding hot chocolate hit the spot.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 04:26 PM
Brettski, re the pine interior. I didn't do much of the actual work of building the cabin. I had a master carpenter, Mike Meisenheimer (whom you have seen in quite a few of the posted photos). So I'll answer as best I can.

We did not use drywall, it is 3/4 T&G, hidden nails using a nail gun (or stapler, I'm not sure). One added touch is that Mike created grooves where the boards butt together. We applied two coats of a clear finish that did not change the color. We know at over time it will tend to get more yellow but hope that is a slow process.
Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 04:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: Brettski
Lyle,
Tell me about the pine interior (it is pine, right?); include some details. I assume it is 3/4" thick T&G...? Did you lay in a drywall fireblock before installation? Face nail, or hidden at T&G? Finish nails or wire brads? I can't imagine you filled the nails holes. Finish on the pine?
-
And....perhaps the most important thing. What did you learn (or bring to the table) that is/are great tips for this kind of installation?

Having done this installation a couple of time the biggest tip I can give is apply the finish to the boards before they are installed. Not a lot of fun applying poly, shellac, etc on a ceiling. It takes a lot of space for preparation but worth it in the end especially as I am getting older
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 05:39 PM
That type of interior decor is very popular for the "vacation" homes in N. Wi. Like what was posted here, it's T&G pine, nailed just like you would do flooring (in the tongue), air nailer. Polyurethane finish is a LOT easier to apply before installation. No drywall, just installed directly to the joists after insulating. You'll just face nail and tongue nail the first board and face nail the last one. If any trim is installed in the corners or at the edges, the trim could hide the nail heads. If any pieces have to be butted together on the ends, it's a PITA, but the butts can be T&G'd to keep them even.

Double check the area that you'll be installing the T&G for squareness. Just like doing a roof, cheat a little on each board if necessary to ensure the last board is the same width at both ends.

If any of the studs/joists have high spots, they could be planed down, and any low spots shimmed up. Some installers place a layer of 1/4" or 3/8" blue board insulation under the T&G to help with noise abatement, and to help level out any irregularities.

You'll also want to store the wood indoors for a while to get it acclimated.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 05:39 PM
My wife Terry and I spent the four day New Year weekend at the cabin and gave it a very good cold weather test. For most of that time temps were in the single digits and wind chills below zero. We also had a nice snow one night.

First we needed some more firewood. Jerry Donner saved the day. My regular firewood guy was out of town and Jerry gave me what you see in the photo below. Jerry and his crew have basically done every thing that has been done on the farm except the carpentry. This includes clearing the trees and building the dam, building the fence, the road, the tornado shelter, all the concrete work, and welding whenever needed. A great guy and a great guy to know. He grew up in that area so when I need something he doesn't do he knows who I should call. I also buy my bison meat from him.

Jerry (on the right) and his right hand man Adam. Earlier in this thread are a lot of photos with Adam on one kind of big machine or another.

We had not stayed in the cabin when it had been this cold before so I was very interested in how comfortable it would be. It turned out to be quite comfortable with a big fire in the fireplace and occasional help from a small portable propane heater. We kept the kitchen counter area 60-65 which meant that everything closer to the fireplace was warmer than that. It was a fun time.

This deer photo was taken by one of Scott's deer cams on Christmas day across the lake from the cabin.

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 07:37 PM
It's a Good Life, Lyle.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 01/09/10 08:49 PM
No ice fishing?
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/10/10 12:35 AM
Sunil, we are cowards - that sounds way to cold!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 01/10/10 01:01 AM

That sure looks like the place to be rather than out on the ice. Oh I forgot the whole house is out on the ice.

Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 01/10/10 01:39 AM
That's the best heated decorated ice shanty that I've ever seen! Just stick a pole out the window and you're in business.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 01/10/10 04:22 AM
You got it all there Lyle. Gotta figure in some ice fishing though. I like esshup's idea.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Family Farm - 01/10/10 04:33 AM
Is there any reason with regular feeding, Lyle's gang couldn't have beau coup big BG hanging around the cabin perimeter like all those gorgeous BG at Bent Hook Marina at Big Cedar? That'd make some awesome fishing for the Grandkids/dad.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 01/10/10 04:45 AM
It would work if the water is deep enough ( 3-4 feet at least). Feeding would sure help.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/11/10 02:19 AM
OK you've all got me kinna interested.

There is no ice fishing culture here because we don't normally have this cold of weather. How does one cut a hole in ice - we were there today and it appears to be at least 6" thick? What kind of fish will bite in cold weather? We do have lots of BG.
Posted By: blair5002 Re: Family Farm - 01/11/10 02:29 AM
Just 6 inches I would just take an axe make a 2 foot square and chop away It will be a little bit of work but not bad
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 01/11/10 02:38 AM
Been there, done that and got wet in the process!

I use this auger to make holes:
Strikemaster Lazer Auger

Basically all fish will bite under the ice, the best ones to fish for are BG, YP, Crappie, LMB. I've had the best success downsizing the lures and using lighter line with a very small bobber. For bait, FHM, GS, mousies, spikes or wax worms.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 01/11/10 03:01 AM
That is for sure.

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 01/11/10 04:20 PM
I am always stunned to see photos of your place Lyle, it's absolutely beautiful! You are building wonderful family memories that these children will fondly think back on for their entire lives.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 01/12/10 01:38 AM
+1.

When can we have a PB meeting and campout at the house ? \:o - \:D - ;\)
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/13/10 03:10 AM
Thank you Jeff, I appreciate the kind words.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/13/10 03:11 AM
Eric, any time.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/17/10 07:35 PM
We've had around 24" of snow and very cold since Christmas day so we became concerned about the possibility of a fish kill with all the snow on the ice.

Shawn Banks came out with his crew and pushed the snow off of around 35% of the lake. They bored test holes for safety and found that the ice was 8" thick.

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 01/18/10 04:05 PM
Jeez, you can't even tell a pond is there.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/29/10 04:32 PM
I never did get ice fishing. Shortly after the lake had the snow pushed off the weather turned warm making the ice unsafe. By early this week it was water again. Now it has turned cold and there is once again a thin layer of ice. It snowed about 6" last night but I was not there.

I spent Tuesday and Wednesday working really hard putting all the construction junk and other accumulated junk into a big dumpster I had delivered Tuesday morning. If I ever built again (not planning to)I would have the dumpster in place at the construction site. I needed to get this done before snake season. As it was I uncovered a skunk - and took off running and set a new record for the 20 yard dash.

It was a nice sun rise yesterday morning so I shot a photo.

Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 01/29/10 04:39 PM
These are the high points in life, Lyle. (the sunset, not the skunk-dash)
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 01/29/10 04:50 PM
Those shots of adrenalin work wonders, don't they! Beautiful pictures!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Family Farm - 01/30/10 03:10 AM
Desire, skill and a passion... Very impressive!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/01/10 05:29 PM
I appreciate the posts and the kind words.

I've been out of town the last two months but now back and ready to tackle some spring projects. The last two springs have been very dominated by construction so we're looking forward to being able to do some landscaping this year. We also plan to complete the outdoor kitchen by adding a limestone facade to the fireplace and counters.

Earlier in this thread we mentioned our lack of success in buying hundreds of small inexpensive trees and then not taking care of them. We are trying a new approach this year and will get just a few trees that we plan to take good care of.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 04/02/10 01:55 AM
Lyle that is a very peaceful scene. Good for the sprit and soul to view a few of those in person.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Family Farm - 04/02/10 03:10 AM
What species of trees have you decided to plant?
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/02/10 02:00 PM
Yesterday I purchased three red maple for fall color and for spring color two redbud and 3 Forsythia. Hope to get them planted this weekend.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/05/10 07:05 PM
Over the weekend I recruited a crack tree planting crew, fed them well, and put them to work.

But the weekend was not all work and no play.

Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 04/05/10 07:13 PM
Building character! Nice!
Posted By: JKB Re: Family Farm - 04/05/10 07:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: Omaha
Building character! Nice!

Building Muscles also. The one armed Condell Technique!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/07/10 01:59 AM
Re building muscles notice his daddy is standing there - to take the photo his daddy (my son Scott) helps hold the fish in position and when he removes his hand I shoot the photo real quick.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 04/07/10 10:26 AM
That is quick. The left hand is blurred.
Posted By: RockvilleMDAngler Re: Family Farm - 04/13/10 07:02 PM
I just read through the whole thread and I am thoroughly impressed! Does the cabin have running water and if not how do you handle the bathroom situation?
Posted By: gjmcclung Re: Family Farm - 04/15/10 05:34 PM
I know that this isn't whereni should post this but i can't find where to start a new post. My brother and I have 3 acres of land that we just had cleared, we'ed like to put an pond on about 3/4 acre but aren't sure about pond structures. We'ed like one end about 8' deep ( sloped of course)and the other end about 1-2ft to raise crawfish in. once again i appologize for this being posted here but am not sure how to start a new post
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 04/16/10 03:43 PM
Hi gjmcclung and welcome to Pond Boss. I'm going to copy and paste your post into a new thread so hang on....
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/23/10 09:47 PM
The cabin does not have running water. We did not want anything that would be a problem in the winter and did not want to have to heat the cabin in the winter. We carry drinking water from home in the big water containers you commonly see for sale at Home Depot. At the garage we have two 55 gallon barrels that are filled from the garage roof and we use that for washing water. For warm weather we have a shower stall on the outside of the garage and we use the little solar heated deals that campers use. For the most part we collect dishes in a Rubbermaid container and carry them home for the dishwasher.

For bathroom we do have a separate room in cabin and we use a toilet seat on a 5 gallon bucket.

Bottom line is that we are roughing it a bit in the water department.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/24/10 02:07 AM
On Sunday afternoon Shawn Banks of Midwest Lake Management brought his electrofishing boat and we did a fish sampling.

We built the dam in February of 2006 and in May stocked the new lake with bluegill, a few red ear, catfish, and fatheads. In the fall we added LMB.

Shawn will send a report with details in the near future but the bottom line is that the fish population is healthy. Some of the highlights are:
1. we have multiple generations of bluegill, bass and surprisingly of catfish
2. the stocked bass are 16 and 17"
3. the fist bass spawn are 8-10'
4. the bass are above average weight for their length

We are not trying to raise trophy fish of any species. We most want to have a nice balance of nature. We would eventually like to have 3-5 pound bass and some nice bluegill. And we enjoy catching and eating the catfish - the stocked ones are in the 4-8 pound range.

Shawn recommended that we eat the 10-13" bass. We don't have that size yet but he expects the first spawn will reach that size this fall or next summer.

A team effort recording the results. Tom and Jack got the fish out of the tank, Shawn measured and weighed, and Scott recorded. And I was the expedition photographer.

After a hard afternoon we brought out a few beers and Shawn managed to relax a bit smile.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 04/24/10 02:21 AM
Good thing you brought out the beers, Lyle. I'm gonna hold that 12-pack of Keystone Light at 2:45 AM at PB III against Banks for some time to come.

Get a shave Shawn!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 04/24/10 04:15 PM
Very cool Lyle, that's for sharing that. We look forward to hearing the report details. It looks like a fun day was had by all.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/27/10 12:38 AM
Here is the raw data from the fish sampling.

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Family Farm - 04/27/10 12:44 AM
Lyle

You've got one heckuva Pond Management pro tending your beautiful lake...just keep the beer under careful watch.
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 04/27/10 01:48 AM
O.K., that's my first time reading an electroshocking report. Do the BG numbers mean that the LMB ate most of the stockers and all that's left is mostly 2 year old fish? It's interesting to see that the RES are large, but the BG's not. What were the numbers and size of BG vs. RES stocked, and were they all stocked at the same time?

The RW's are good on the larger LMB, but low on the smaller ones.

For my knowledge, what is the suggested plan of attack?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Family Farm - 04/27/10 02:04 AM
You took the words out of my mouth on the RES question. Whats going on here...interesting to see what the biologists postulate.
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 04/27/10 02:07 AM
I have an idea........ grin

BTW, TJ, I have my phone! Whew!!!!!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/27/10 12:33 PM
I think Shawn's report will be interesting. I do know however that he thinks that in general the fishery is in good shape.
Posted By: Shawn Banks Re: Family Farm - 04/27/10 05:24 PM
Lyle's got the data and so some really short term mgmt actions to implement. I'm hoping to get the report done really soon, but we are slammed right now. In fact, I'm babysitting 100lbs of fatheads right now for clients to come get today.

Some keen eyes out there!! With regard to the bluegill and redear numbers, pay close attention to the scale on the y-axis (number of fish). You'll change your observation just a little once you start counting the fish in each length category. I will say the the panfish in general (bg and re) need some help with regards to condition, but it will be an easy fix that Lyle and Scott will be addressing soon with some feeding. Didn't take weights on the panfish because I didn't need to, they are thin. The smaller bass and all of the panfish are generally skinny. They are not unhealthy, but there's some resource issues going on. There will be some feeding and harvesting implemented this year to swing things in a more favorable direction. Overall, the Krehbiel's pond is in good shape and just a little tweaking will help them achieve their goals.

By the way, you've probably gathered this from this amazing thread about the property and pond, but the Krehbiel's are awesome people.....good Kansas stock if you will. I feel very fortunate that I get the opportunity to work with such great clients. Scott's boys are well mannered and they are fun to be around. I'm pretty sure one of them will end up being a biologist, so I probably need to have a talk with him soon and tell him about the medical and engineering professions:) Gotta run.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/28/10 12:10 PM
Shawn, thanks so much for the kind words. And I'm also sorta predicting that Tom might want to become a biologist. Once he is old enough to think about what he'd like to be you may be his inspiration for that.

We are looking forward to implementing your recommendations and getting the smaller fish up to good weight.

On the non-fishing front we have 7 or 8 new baby geese today. This is the fourth year this goose couple has nested on Swim Island. All spring they guard the lake not allowing any other geese on the lake. Often geese pairs will land and there is an instant war with the new geese leaving within 30 seconds. Fortunately we don't have a goose problem. This couple leaves in mid-June and we are goose-less until they come back to nest again in late March.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/29/10 12:26 AM
Re the below post by teehjaeh57 I totally agree. Shawn Banks is not only a first rate Pond Management professional but a class person and a fun guy to be around. I think we are fortunate that he is in our area, Kansas City. I'll take your advice and keep an eye on the beer smile

Lyle
You've got one heckuva Pond Management pro tending your beautiful lake...just keep the beer under careful watch.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/17/10 03:04 AM
In May we finished the outdoor kitchen by applying a stone facade to the fireplace and counters. The stone was a 1.25 inch veneer of tumbled limestone. This stone has special meaning because it was quarried in the Kansas county where I grew up. It turned out great and now we plan to do the same with the indoor fireplace in July or August.

Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 06/17/10 03:31 AM
I'm still amazed every time I see the place.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 06/17/10 10:36 AM
This project continues to nudge the bar higher. The level of quality and craftsmanship is very impressive.
-
-
-
STOP MAKIN' ME NUTS!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 06/17/10 12:25 PM
Amazing looking place. I have loved following this project and its progress. And Brettski, don't sell yourself short! Your accomplishments at LNP are absolutely awesome, as well!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 06/17/10 12:29 PM
Just. Awesome.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/18/10 05:36 PM
I appreciate the kind remarks. And I know there are lots of great projects out there, the only difference is that we have chosen to post ours in detail.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/17/10 09:36 PM
The main purpose of the farm/lake/cabin is to enjoy time with family and friends. A highlight of each summer is the week I spend here with my two grandsons, Jack (age 10) and Tom (age 7).

So after spending two years and more money than I want to think about building the cabin the boys want to camp out smile. So we camped out on one of the islands. We spent the evenings and nights there and the rest of the day elsewhere. It was really fun.

It was a really hot week with the heat index around 100 so we spent a LOT of time in the water and in particular the deep water near Swim island. By diving down below six feet we could get into ice cold water.

Here are a several other photos taken that week.

Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 07/18/10 12:01 AM
Lyle, those definately are the pictures that need to go in a scrap book for looking at years down the road.

What species of cat is that? Looks pretty speckled to be a CC.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 07/18/10 01:54 AM
Wonderful as always. Love the rock on the island.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 07/18/10 04:14 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Lyle, those definately are the pictures that need to go in a scrap book for looking at years down the road.

+1
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 07/18/10 09:47 PM
Thanks for sharing the pics and story. Great times. We did the same thing with the kids.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 07/18/10 10:25 PM

So after spending two years and more money than I want to think about building the cabin the boys want to camp out smile.

Kinda like the toy vs box-it-came-in thing for toddlers at Christmas
-
Marvelous ROI, Lyle.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/20/10 01:10 AM
It is a Channel Cat - they range in size up to 8 or 9 lbs and we are trying to thin them out a bit by eating them. We have multi generations of channels which astonishes the experts.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/20/10 01:13 AM
Thanks! The jumping off rock on the island is on top of two other of similar size. They were all 8'x8'by 20 inches thick and were quarried from one of the small ponds on the property.

Here is what it looked like right after the island was built. The lake is at it's deepest here, twenty foot.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/20/10 01:14 AM
That sure was a great ROI smile.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/25/10 06:44 PM
Each June we have a Krehbiel family get together here at our farm/lake/cabin - this year was the fourth one. There were thirty some of us this year including four generations. We start on a Friday evening and continue into Sunday. We make homemade ice cream with a six quart hand crank freezer and BBQ plenty of ribs, chicken, and pork shoulder. It's the only time each year that the extended family is able to get together and is something we had not previously been doing on any regular basis. Having the event here is ideal since there are so many different things to do - and the kids can pretty much just run and do there own thing.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 07/25/10 07:51 PM
Awesome, Lyle! What a great way to make lasting memories of events that can and often do shape lives! Well done!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/26/10 12:33 AM
Thank you Todd.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 07/26/10 01:31 AM
Does the Krehbiel family need two honorary members?

Say a CPA and an RN? laugh

Looks like great fun, when you built your place I bet you never imagined how many family memories that you would be creating Lyle.
Posted By: CoachB Re: Family Farm - 07/26/10 01:50 AM
What a wonderful place. I have enjoyed sharing it through your posts. thanks for including us.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/26/10 11:09 AM
Thanks Jeff and Brian. When Scott and I bought the property it was for investment purposes but one thing has led to another since. I wasn't even in town when we bought it - it was sight unseen for me. But right away we got to thinking that the topography looked pretty good for building a lake. And during the cabin planning process which took place for over a year the size of the cabin kept growing and during this time it slid down the hill and ended up in the water.

So it ended up being an investment in family, friends, good times, and good memories and hopefully a legacy that will pass down through Scott's sons. It's been fun sharing this experience will everyone on the Pond Boss forum.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/04/10 09:20 PM
KIDS - For sure one of the best things about the cabin/lake is watching kids enjoy all the different activities available to them. Boredom is not an option and electronic games are not needed.

Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 08/04/10 09:27 PM
Your updates are awesome Lyle. That place is a dream retreat no matter how old you are. Incredible as always.
Posted By: Zep Re: Family Farm - 08/05/10 12:04 AM
Great looking place Scott!

Hey if you would have made the dam just a little
"taller" your lake from the air would have almost
looked like a map of Texas!

Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 08/05/10 01:53 AM
Great pics Lyle. Who did the face painting - dog and kid look alike contest (ring-eye)?
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/08/10 12:57 PM
Good eye Eric, I hadn't noticed the eye-ring look-alike. The young ladies were self inspired to do a lot of clay painting that day and they in turn inspired Tom to some clay painting. Tom being a boy went for a more basic design.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/08/10 12:59 PM
Zep, thats funny - we had never noticed before but it does look a lot like the shape of Texas.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/08/10 01:03 PM
Thank you Omaha, I'm glad you enjoyed. I enjoy posting but now that most of the construction is done I don't know if if can keep on with worthwhile posts or not. I guess as long as the number of views keeps climbing it means there is an audience and I'll keep working at it.
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 08/09/10 06:59 AM
Heck yes, keep on posting. It's not about what's being built, it's about how people are enjoying the fruits of their labor.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/18/10 12:13 PM
Esshup, you are right that enjoying a pond is the most important part of having one. And I think I will always have some smaller projects going - it's a hobby so it's fun to keep on adding features.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 08/18/10 12:26 PM
Great report, Lyle!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Family Farm - 08/18/10 02:06 PM
Lyle, following your construction has been incredible, but watching all the smiles are absolutely priceless!!!

Please keep the fun coming!
Posted By: Greg2010 Re: Family Farm - 08/19/10 02:00 PM
This thread deserves the.....

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 08/19/10 03:28 PM
Greg2010, that seal is GREAT!!!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 08/19/10 05:44 PM
That is a great seal, Greg2010.

If we are referring to JHAP, though, we might have to alter it to: "Official Seal of Awkwardness"
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 08/19/10 09:38 PM
OH SNAP!!!

I'm not even going to ask what the hand would be doing in the seal.

Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 08/19/10 09:56 PM
it would be holding Tom G's toothbrush
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 08/19/10 09:59 PM
Or making the Spock sign.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/20/10 12:43 PM
Thanks Rainman, thanks Sunil, I appreciate.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/20/10 12:46 PM
Thanks Greg and "ah shucks".
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/14/10 11:48 PM
Last Major Cabin Project - I don't think we will ever say that the cabin is "done" but this week we are doing the last major project to finish the cabin. We built and have used the inside fireplace for two years now but have not applied the stone facade to the fireplace and nearby wall.

Originally I was going to build a stone facade myself using limestone uncovered from our building projects here on the farm. I think that would have been very cool but ran out of ambition. So we bought limestone from a quarry in Kansas and this past spring did the outside fireplace and counters. Our builder/carpenter Mike (he built the entire cabin) decided that he could become a stone mason and he did a great job. Since we liked how the outside turned out we decided to do the inside the same way. So this week Mike is adding the limestone facade to the inside.

For the last two years it has looked like this.

And today it looks like this.

Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 09/15/10 12:14 AM
Lyle,
Can you take a few pics and a couple of paragraphs (or more, please) to walk us thru the details of the fireplace construction, products used, good decisions, bad decisions, and what-not?
Thanks again for bringin' us along on such a great project.
Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 09/15/10 12:13 PM
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Lyle,
Can you take a few pics and a couple of paragraphs (or more, please) to walk us thru the details of the fireplace construction, products used, good decisions, bad decisions, and what-not?
Thanks again for bringin' us along on such a great project.

I second brettski, I thinking of someday doing the outside fireplace off of a deck and a few more detials would really help. Also, I assuming the wall the indoor fireplace is on is constructed with noncombustible materials
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/15/10 11:20 PM
We are extremely happy with our fireplaces. We heat the cabin only with the fireplace. My wife Terry and I spent last New Year's weekend at the cabin, the wind chill was below zero night and day, and we were quite comfortable. We burn hedge, a very hot burning wood, and we build really big fires when it's cold.

The fireplaces are large and can handle big fires with intense heat. The company is called "Firerock" and can be viewed at http://www.firerock.us/. Scott found them on the internet and we had a local dealer. Turned out the dealer was an old friend I hadn't seen in years - he and I coached a basketball team together for the 6th and 7th grade years.

The fireplaces came as kits of precast concrete sections. Building the fireplace was pretty easy, you just use the mortar they provide and stack the pieces. Then you have to firebrick the burning chamber. The chimney can be either precast pieces or sheet metal. We used sheet metal and following specs the diameter is quite large. The fireplace needed to have a minimum of one inch airspace to any combustible. The walls on the sides are of combustible material.

They draw great and really put out the heat. Of their several types we bought the Rumford Type and would do exactly the same thing again. Only one regret, on the inside one we chickened out on adding the last stack to make the firebox higher thinking it might look funny. We could get a bit more heat out of it if we had made it full height.

First we did a dry-stack for practice. The firebox is two sections taller than we dry-stacked.

Building the outside fireplace.

A medium size fire. We could have added one more stack to the inside fireplace and then the firebox would have been 8" taller. We built the outside one full height.

Posted By: rcooked Re: Family Farm - 09/16/10 12:47 AM
Lyle,

Fantastic place! I've been glued to the updates - much appreciated. I also wanted to thank you for the link to Firerock. I'm debating building an outdoor unit next year to enjoy as well, and wanted to find a local dealer to get the ball rolling.

Again - awesome place!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 09/16/10 02:50 AM
Lyle, neat website and you guys are doing well.
Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 09/16/10 10:17 AM
Lyle,

Thanks for the picture on the outside fireplace. So you built it on a solid concrete foundation. Thanks again.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/16/10 01:27 PM
Thanks for the kind comments. And Lassig, the fireplaces do weigh a lot so they need to be built on a very strong base. For the outside place we put the base in place when we built the foundation.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/30/10 01:05 PM
Scott, Jack, Tom, and I spent last Saturday night and Sunday at the farm. It's kinna neat how the boys get back to the basics at the farm.

Planted my first garden at the farm last spring. It was the first spring I hadn't been overwhelmed with other projects. Tomatoes and basil and they turned out OK.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/08/10 08:08 PM
Finished the stone work for the indoor fireplace. We're very happy with how it turned out. That was last big project in building the cabin, so I'm going to say the 1.0 version of the cabin is done. Here are the before and after of the fireplace.

Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 10/08/10 08:11 PM
That looks wonderful. Wow. Very nice.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 10/08/10 08:12 PM
That's just the bomb!
Posted By: Rainman Re: Family Farm - 10/08/10 08:17 PM
What a great retreat and family project!

There's no mistaking those boys are brothers! Are they twins?
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 10/08/10 08:17 PM
yeah, it rocks
Posted By: JKB Re: Family Farm - 10/08/10 08:33 PM
Yeah, Really
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 10/09/10 01:35 AM
Awesome, Lyle!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/09/10 01:58 PM
Thank you all for the nice complements.

The boys do look a lot alike but they are three years apart and have completely different personalities.

Omaha, on another subject I'm a K-State grad and after Thursday night I'm not real happy with Nebraska smile
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 10/09/10 02:02 PM
Thanks Omaha. On another subject I'm a K-State grad and after Thursday night I'm not real happy with Nebraska smile

Ah. That was certainly a fun game to watch for me. grin
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/09/10 02:07 PM
Fortunately for me I fell asleep at halftime and was spared watching the second half.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 10/09/10 02:11 PM
I was getting worried in the first quarter. The time of possession difference was slanted heavily in your favor, Thomas was getting positive yards, and you were converting third downs. A small part of me felt bad that it happened on Coach Snyder's birthday.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/18/10 12:15 AM
About a week ago my uncle came to the farm for the first time. He is 88 and loves to fish. He said this was the best fishing of his life. Between him and my cousin, 12 catfish and 2 bass were caught. I had told them to bring a cooler and to take fish home so they cleaned all the fish. We had a fish fry that evening and they took the rest home. In the summer when we ate catfish I didn't enjoy much. Now that we are not feeding and the water is cooler the catfish are delicious.

Uncle Ralph with a 10 pound channel cat.

It took all three of us to hold up the stringer.

This weekend the boys and I spent the night and ate catfish in the evening. We kept two six pound channel cats. I brought the rest home and my wife and I ate catfish tonight.

Jack with a nice bass.

Neither Scott or I are fishermen. We get our pleasure watching others catch fish. On Thursday my wife and I spent the night and I caught a catfish for dinner that night - it was the first fish I had caught this year.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 10/18/10 12:20 AM
Great times, Lyle. Thanks for taking us along.

Interesting about what you mentioned regarding the taste of the catfish.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 10/18/10 12:34 AM
CC can get off-flavored but not usually when they are on feed.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 10/18/10 03:09 AM
Good times!!
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Family Farm - 10/18/10 01:03 PM
I was wondering why they were off flavor as well.

I wonder if it was due to the heat rather than the feed.

Maybe that fish had bee feeding on the bottom for a while.

Either way these are great pics and as many have said thanks for letting us be a part of the experience.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 10/18/10 05:54 PM
Great photos Lyle!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/20/10 04:15 PM
Maybe it is the cooler water and not the food. I don't know what caused the taste difference was but food and water temp were the two things that changed.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 10/20/10 06:58 PM
Could be either or both.

Off flavor in CC --- https://srac.tamu.edu/index.cfm/event/getFactSheet/whichfactsheet/33/

The most common off-flavors in
pond aquaculture are caused by
blue-green algae, so most off-flavor
management practices are
aimed at manipulating phytoplankton
communities to eliminate
that group of organisms. A
variety of schemes have been proposed
for managing phytoplankton
blooms, but most approaches
have either been unreliable or
impractical.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/24/10 12:27 PM
Always happiest when I can find a pond to sit beside smile. Were it my pond I would call Shawn Banks.
Taken this morning - Barcelona Spain

Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 10/24/10 02:30 PM
Have a great time! Spain is one of my favorite countries to visit.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/24/10 05:03 PM
Thanks, we are really enjoying Spain.
Posted By: Greg2010 Re: Family Farm - 10/24/10 10:25 PM
Spain looks awesome! My friend in Belgium vacations there often.

Regarding the off taste of catfish. What helps is to keep them alive after being caught and keep them in fresh clear water for a few days. A 55 gallon drum works if you don't pack them in, and can keep the water quality up. It gets rid of the off taste. A friend of mine keeps them in his spare bathroom bathtub. No wonder he's not married! grin
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/25/10 08:47 AM
Yes, I don't think Terry would let me keep them in our bathtub!!

I think my solution is to eat catfish in the spring and fall and skip the summer.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/19/10 02:55 PM
Solar System
When I wired up the solar system a year ago I did't do the connection to provide for generator input. So this week I opened up the system and wired in the generator connection. Now we can hook up the generator and it will both provide the electricity to the cabin and also charge the batteries. One hour of generator should charge the batteries enough for one day of use.

We've been using the solar system for a year and it's really worked great for us. In the summer with the longer days and in general less cloudy weather we have excess capacity. In the winter with the much shorter days of sunlight and the greater likelihood of heavy cloud cover a generator may sometime be used.

Last winter one time we spent 4 days in a row at the cabin and there was a very heavy cloud cover(snowing). I depleted the batteries just a little bit more than I would have liked. That was the only time in the first year that I would have used a generator.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/13/10 01:18 AM
Spent this very cold weekend at the cabin with grandson Tom and wife Terry. We had a great time. Had below zero wind chills and an inch of snow last night. But we kept a good fire going in the fireplace and it was cozy warm. Today we got our first sled ridding of the year.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 12/13/10 03:04 AM
No hard water yet?
Posted By: Rainman Re: Family Farm - 12/13/10 01:49 PM
Lyle, the place looks great all on it's own, but being enjoyed like you described is simply awesome! I hope I get to actully see it in person someday!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/13/10 02:50 PM
I think the water will be hard today. The reason it wasn't already hard is that the wind was blowing up to 40 in gusts along with the cold temps on the weekend and we almost had whitecaps. The previous week with way less extreme temps had given us hard water.
Posted By: JWB Re: Family Farm - 12/13/10 03:47 PM
I think the water will be hard today. The reason it wasn't already hard is that the wind was blowing up to 40 in gusts along with the cold temps on the weekend and we almost had whitecaps. The previous week with way less extreme temps had given us hard water.

Lyle, same here in South Central, Kansas. Despite the freezing temps, the wind (30-50 mph)has kept my pond ice free, the wind died down last night and the pond froze over in 6 hours.
Do me a favor and send some of that snow down my way….we need the moisture In a bad way.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/18/10 03:25 PM
I agree, it's the using of the property that is important. I have enjoyed the building process but am glad that is done - I'm having more fun using the property and seeing others enjoying it. In fact today is one of the highlights of the year, the family Christmas Party.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 12/19/10 12:05 AM
Hey Lyle, Merry Christmas.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/19/10 10:27 PM
Merry Christmas to you Dave. We had a great Christmas Party here last aft/eve/night/morning. I'll post a few photos from it later.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 12/20/10 02:06 AM
Looking forward to those pics.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/24/10 01:55 AM
We all had a great time at the Christmas Party. It's the families of my sister, her son Shawn, Scott, and myself. Eight adults and 4 kids. We met at the cabin mid-afternoon Saturday and went until mid-morning Sunday. I had spent Friday night at the cabin to get it warmed up.

Important to me is establishing some traditions that the kids will remember all their lives.

First we went out on the property and cut one of the numerous cedar trees.

Then the tree decorations had to be made.

Of course opening the presents was a highlight for us all.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 12/24/10 02:29 AM
Wonderful, Lyle! I always look forward to your posts on new family adventures at your farm. Those kids will no doubt have great memories of childhood and that is truly why we do all the stuff we do at our own little slices of heaven. Thanks for sharing that family time with us!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 12/24/10 02:52 AM
Good stuff as always. I look forward to your updates Lyle.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/14/11 02:58 AM
It's been zero the last two nights in the Kansas City area and we had 6 inches of snow on Tuesday. Came down to the cabin this afternoon and it was 24 degrees inside when I walked in. The ice on the lake is glass (I was surprised, I thought it would be snow covered), perfect for ice skating. And with the snow its beautiful here. Have a a big fire in the fireplace and its now comfortable.

On Saturday aft/eve/night Terry and I will host a party here - we are part of a group of four couples that get together frequently. We are planning on sled riding that day with hot chocolate and Peppermint Schnapps to ward off the cold. Terry and I plan to stay here until Wednesday.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 01/14/11 03:15 AM
Beautiful, Lyle! Have a great time!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/26/11 04:42 PM
Although summer is my favorite time at the farm I do enjoy all the seasons. I enjoy winter the most if there is snow on the ground and this year we have pretty much had a snow cover all of January. Normally in this area we don't have that much snow or it staying on the ground for more that a few days. This is our fourth cold snowy winter in a row.

I enjoy the beauty of the snow and the coziness of the big fire in the fireplace. Its nice to sit by the fire and look outside. We've used the sled hill several times and for the first time we are feeding the birds.

Last winter we sometimes supplemented the fireplace with a portable propane heater but this year experimentation has shown that propane is not needed and is not a significant factor in keeping the cabin warm. We expect to go through around three cords of hedge this winter. In the afternoons if its sunny we get a lot of passive solar heating. If the sun is shining we can normally go all afternoon without a fire and with the cabin temperature around 70.

Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 01/26/11 05:49 PM
It's a good life, Lyle. I'm jealous.
Posted By: Bing Re: Family Farm - 01/26/11 09:45 PM
Love dem Cardinals!!

Bing
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/27/11 02:31 PM
Feeding so far we have seen a lot of Cardinals, Chickadees, some Red Headed Woodpeckers, and some Finch.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 01/27/11 03:05 PM
You need a heated bird bath, but that might be too much of a drain on your solar power system. I want you to work on a wood-stoked model and report back.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/28/11 02:24 AM
I'll get right on the wood-stoked model. The birds will appreciate.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 01/28/11 02:33 PM
Heck, you might just be able to eat smoked bird.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/29/11 04:40 PM
That would be a bonus.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 02/04/11 04:25 AM
I would have loved to have been here during this week's blizzard but had commitments in town. So I came down today. We had around 15 inches of snow with lots of wind so I expected I might get stuck on the quarter mile lane. I have a 4x4 F150 and thought I might have to shovel some in the drifts. But it turned out that the wind had swept the lane clear and put the snow in the field.

It was really cold last night.

When I walked into the cabin this noon it was 19 inside. I got a fire going and currently it's 4 outside and 64 inside. I'll keep the fire going all night.

The solar panels were covered so I had to get them going. I have nailed two 8 ft furring strips together and tied a push broom to them.

I took the Mule around the property getting stuck about 5 times and getting a bunch of exercise shoveling out. This is one of the times I was stuck.

Awaiting Spring.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 02/04/11 02:22 PM
Great pics, Lyle! Lots of work, but, man, what a way to spend your day - beats sitting at a desk by a long shot!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 02/04/11 09:19 PM
You are right Todd, it was a fun day and way better than behind a desk.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/18/11 08:58 PM
Well, we just went over 100,000 views and we’d like to thank everyone for their interest and their contributions. When Scott started this thread I don’t think we had any idea it would attract this much attention.

It’s been very rewarding for us to be able to share the activities at our farm/lake/cabin with folks that have similar interests. As long as interest continues to be shown we will continue to post. With spring just around the corner we have some minor projects planned and May and June are big months for having gatherings.

Thank you all very much!

Lyle and Scott
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 03/18/11 09:00 PM
Let's go for 200,000. We thank you for letting us go along for the ride. A neat project !!!!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/18/11 09:03 PM
Thank you Eric, your interest is appreciated.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/02/11 03:53 PM
First "Spring" outing of 2011. The boys and I came down last evening and they wanted to camp out even though it was going to be 40 in the night. Too cold for me to camp out but I said they could and could call me anytime during the night if they wanted to come in. But they stayed warm and lasted all night in the tent. It's a beautiful morning and the boys are fishing. Looking for the 70s today and 80s tomorrow. And the geese are back again with their usual nest on Swim Island.

This morning.

This morning after the night in the tent.

15 inch bass but he caught an 18 inch one later

Dinner this evening

Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 04/02/11 03:57 PM
I never get tired of looking at pics like that!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/02/11 04:03 PM
We are having a good time! For me it's what having a pond is all about.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/05/11 06:52 PM
Moving rocks from where they are a detriment to where they are an asset. Last fall we moved a dirt/rock pile that came from cabin construction. So I'm raking up all the rocks and trying to get grass established in that area. And using the rock to protect the shoreline of Swim Island. Whew, it's a major workout - I'm tired.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 04/06/11 01:59 AM
Beautiful, Lyle!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Family Farm - 04/06/11 02:04 AM
Your hard work has definitely paid off!
Posted By: JKB Re: Family Farm - 04/09/11 03:46 PM
I'll have to ditto the 200K by Eric.

This project, as well as many others on PB are a great inspiration to others.

Well done!

And thanks to all for sharing their projects.
Posted By: Troy Todd Re: Family Farm - 04/19/11 07:38 PM
Absolutely stunning !!!!!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 04/20/11 01:26 AM
Are you moving those big rocks ?
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/23/11 01:28 AM
Thank you everyone - I appreciate your interest.

Eric, I just moved lots of little rocks that I raked up - the white buckets were all full of rocks.

Sorry I couldn't make it to the PB convention this year - I would have liked to have met everyone contributing to this thread.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/30/11 02:12 AM
Got a new sign for the outdoor kitchen. What I like is the old school painting of the folks partying.

Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 04/30/11 04:17 PM
Classic! I love it.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/07/11 12:37 PM
Thanks Jeff, appreciate your interest.

For six springs now what we believe to be the same pair of geese has nested on Swim Island. All but one year they have been successful. That one year they nested in the fire pit and it filled with water. Since then we have kept some wood in the fire pit to keep them out.

They normally nest the third or fourth week of March and the eggs hatch 28 to 30 days later. This year they hatched April 23. About a month after hatching they leave and we don't see them again until the next spring.

During the time they are here no other geese are allowed on the lake. Every day at least one other pair makes the mistake of landing and there is instant war.

This year eight goslings hatched and we are now down to six.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 05/07/11 01:11 PM
Pretty cool, Lyle. We have had a pair nesting at our farm since we've owned it and believe they were present before, as well. Last year we really worked to protect them and they had - get this - 14 goslings that we counted! It was really a pretty neat thing to see happen and to feel like we were a part of helping make happen.

However, we decided that one year was enough. I am absolutely sick of the poop because they hang out where we hang out (when we're not there, of course!) and they poop everywhere. It just got really frustrating, so I began to harass with harsh prejudice this year. We prevented them from nesting at our small pond, but a pair managed to evade our radar and nest on our bigger pond where we don't spend as much time. They had 4 goslings this year and I have to concede it's cool watching them grown and learn how to live - nature is pretty amazing.

Thanks for sharing this with us!
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 05/07/11 01:59 PM
I have a pair that's been nesting on the pond for years, and usually they keep the pond free of other geese. This year, they are tolerating 2 other pairs of geese that visit. I'm sending Kate out there when the geese are on shore, and if they don't fly away I break out the wrist rocket and steel ball bearings. They get the hint after a few splash into the pond around them.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/07/11 06:58 PM
Todd and Esshup, your experiences are interesting. Fourteen goslings sounds like a record. They do like to poop on our beach and sidewalk so we are happy to have them leave at the one month point. Last year Scott threw a few rocks at them when their welcome was worn out and they took the hint.
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 05/07/11 07:03 PM
Lyle, the geese will walk their goslings about 1/4 mile thru the woods to a neighbors ponds. They will be back at my pond the next morning.

I'm wondering if the other pairs of geese that are tolerated on the pond are YOY from the previous year? The other 2 pairs have no goslings.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/07/11 08:41 PM
Esshup, there is a 15 acre pond just downstream for ours and I suspect that our geese walk there.

I think geese like to return to where they hatched nest so I have suspected that the geese being run-off are previous years offspring.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/10/11 01:04 AM
Looks like a tragedy in the goose family today. All morning it was mom, dad, and the 6 goslings. Then mid-afternoon noticed that dad and two goslings were missing. This eve it's just mom and four goslings. And a foreign pair have settled in to stay since dad is not around to chase them away.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 05/10/11 06:00 PM
Jeez, the human trend has hit the animal kingdom. Separation and divorce with shared custody of the kids. Just terrible. grin
Posted By: Sniper Re: Family Farm - 05/10/11 11:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Jeez, the human trend has hit the animal kingdom. Separation and divorce with shared custody of the kids. Just terrible. grin

Did you hear that, Todd, they threw rocks at them!? (rocks:igneous hardess)
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/11/11 01:00 AM
They were just little rocks smile
Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 05/11/11 02:05 AM
I love the slogan of the sign, especially!
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 05/11/11 03:40 AM
Originally Posted By: Sniper
Originally Posted By: Todd3138

Did you hear that, Todd, they threw rocks at them!? (rocks:igneous hardess)

That's where it all begins, then before you know it, some poor goose is getting his eye shot out!
Posted By: Sniper Re: Family Farm - 05/11/11 02:19 PM
They were just little rocks smile

Ah, okay, small caliber rocks. Todd prefers double aught rocks.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/11/11 03:52 PM
Sunil, I was just poking around in a tourist shop and immediately knew I had to have that sign.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/14/11 01:48 AM
In Kansas City BBQ is serious business and we have enjoyed BBQing at the farm. We had a good BBQ smoker that belonged to a friend of Scott's who needed a place to keep it and we used it for four years. It found a new home last October so we needed to replace it and decided to build one. I went to the America Royal BBQ contest in October and looked at smokers and gathered ideas. The last several weeks Jerry has been constructing our new smoker.

Scott the BBQ Chef with the old smoker

A friend who has a machine shop helped me buy this 30" diameter, 5 ft long pipe made of 5/16 inch steel. I had it cut down to 4ft in length.

We also got a 5ft x 10ft x 5/16 inch sheet of steel.

Jerry (he built the dam, the lane, the fence, and about everything else except the cabin) is constructing the smoker and helping me with the design. Here he is cutting out pieces from the sheet of steel.

Building the firebox.

Attaching the firebox to the cooking chamber.

Getting close to being done.

When Jerry finishes I will give it a coat of high temperature paint. It's really heavy duty and will weigh around 1700 lbs. We are hoping it works well, we won't know until we use it. I'll keep you posted.
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 05/14/11 02:27 AM
Now that's what I call a smoker that will last a long time! Looks great.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 05/14/11 12:16 PM
That's impressive.

What I'm really curious about is who was able to put the Knack on the top shelf?
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/14/11 01:30 PM
Dave, I don't understand your question.
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 05/14/11 01:33 PM
Dave, I'm guessing there's a forklift around somewhere. That sheet of 5/16" steel weighed right around 636 pounds......
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/15/11 09:34 PM
Jerry has all kinds of ways to lift stuff. He called this afternoon to say the smoker is finished. Tomorrow morning I will go to his place and paint.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 05/16/11 12:03 PM
Lyle, the Knaack tool box on the top shelf is a heavy box. That's what I was referring to.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Family Farm - 05/16/11 08:20 PM
Scott that looks like beer can in the A.. chicken on that smoker am I right?
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/19/11 12:24 PM
Now I know what a Knack is.

Yes, we make beer can chicken. We have a holder for two beer cans.
Posted By: Scott Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/25/11 06:18 PM
Rockytopper, you are correct. Two beer can chickens. We also had a rib rack on the left with five slabs of spare ribs. Oh yeah! I normally take the liberty of volunteering to make sure two half full cans of beer get placed properly in the holder.
Posted By: Brettski Re: Family Farm - 05/25/11 06:33 PM

Yes, we make beer can chicken. We have a holder for two beer cans.

so does RockyT
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/28/11 06:42 PM
Record bass for our lake caught just five minutes ago by Tom Krehbiel. We were riding in the mule when Tom saw a huge worm. He picked it up and brought it back thinking he would catch a record catfish. He baited up, dropped the worm in and the bass hit instantly.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 05/28/11 10:23 PM
Way to go, Tom! Lyle, any measurements on the fish? Looks to be in very good condition. Any suspicion on age?
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/29/11 01:45 AM
It was a 5 year old, 18 inch, almost 3lb bass. I guess it's just a tad light for 18 inches but it looked really healthy.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/10/11 12:57 AM
I've been intensely busy with improvements and activities at the lake the last month. So busy in fact that I've fallen behind in my posting here at PB. So this is a start at catching up.

We finished up the BBQ smoker and this photo shows it being delivered - all 1500 lbs. The old smoker is in the foreground.

But it's such a nice smoker that we figured it deserved its own 9x16 pad.

We have used it twice so far and it works great. It is very easy to control and maintain a constant 240 degree temperature.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 06/10/11 06:40 PM
Nice, Lyle! You guys don't actually know how to do anything halfway, do you??!! Awesome work - please keep us in the loop!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/10/11 07:42 PM
True but were not completely sure that's a good thing smile.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/10/11 07:44 PM
We had a party to honor Mike and Jerry and that was the first use of the new smoker. Jerry did an awesome job of creating the smoker and I promised him that he would be part of its first use.

In the photo left to right, myself, Jerry, Mike, and Scott below. About 99%
of the improvements made to the farm have been done by one or the other of these two or by one of their helpers.

Mike built the cabin and any other carpentry project that we have had. Although a carpenter he also did all the stone work on the cabin.

Jerry built the fence, lane, dam, all dirt work, all concrete work, welding, and probably more stuff that I'm not recalling right now.

Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 06/11/11 02:22 AM
What did you cook for the first time ?
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/11/11 11:47 AM
Two chickens and three slabs of Kansas City Style spareribs. We had quite a bit left over.

In Kansas City slow cooked BBQ is a big deal - we probably have a hundred BBQ joints in town. And ribs are the highlight of KC BBQ. Everyone has their favorite place - it's almost a religion here. Q is our claim to culinary fame.

When we fired up the smoker the second time it was for a larger group, 27, and we had two chickens, five slabs, a pork shoulder butt, and a venison roast. And it was all good!
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 06/12/11 12:47 AM
Sounds good !!!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/07/11 06:48 PM
Back in May we decided to make it deeper off the end of the boat dock. I haven't been very good at anticipating how things will work out - in this case didn't anticipate that everyone would want to dive off the boat dock, duh, in hindsight that is a no brainer. It was 4 feet going to 6 pretty quickly so it worked for shallow dives but we wanted to make it safer.

In order to get the hoe close enough we had to haul many dump truck loads of rocks from the rock pile on the land and dump them in the water. We had already paid to have those rocks taken out of the little pond and piled, then had the pile moved several years later. So now we paid for two more moving jobs, putting them in for this project and then taking them out and back to the pile smile

Scott and I probing the water depth. We got it to 8 foot in front of the dock.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/09/11 05:15 PM
One of my favorite weeks each year is the week at the farm with Tom and Jack. Of course now that the cabin is built they want to camp out every night. We spent one night in Scott's box blind, and number of nights at the site shown below. It was a great week. The boys are growing up - its a narrow window of opportunity before they will no longer want to spend a week like this.

Mixing up some "grub" which we cooked over the camp fire.

Box Blind

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 07/10/11 03:11 AM
Wonderful stuff, Lyle! You guys have a great place to take full advantage of making those childhood memories for Tom and Jack. That stuff is going to stick with them. Way to go!
Posted By: aquamaniac Re: Family Farm - 07/15/11 02:50 PM
hello scott. will you adopt me? love it.
Posted By: NonTypicalCPA Re: Family Farm - 07/19/11 03:24 PM
I love this thread! Keep us updated on future developments.

From a dad with young kids - keep up the good work on being a grandpa!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/22/11 07:34 PM
Thank you all for your kind remarks. We will keep this thing going as long a interest continues to be shown. And will try to make the posting interesting enough to warrant your interest.

This spring I created a four hole "golf course". When I say golf course that is a big stretch of the imagination. All I did was trim about 15 hedge trees and mow. We have three physical holes but we play one of the holes from two directions to make a total of four holes. The holes are short and one tees off with a wedge.

At our annual family reunion this June we had a two man scramble golf tournament complete with trophies for the winning team. We had twenty participants ranging in age from six to sixty some.

Getting ready to tee off on hole one.

A mighty tee shot.

Hole two.

Hole one from one direction and hole three from another.

The winning team at the awards ceremony held that evening. Yes, I was lucky enough to be on the winning team the first time the course was ever used. Believe me, I'm not a golfer but I was hot that day with my pitching and my partner hit some great putts.

Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 07/22/11 08:59 PM
Lyle, I'm glad to see a family having so much fun. I'll always be interested!!!
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 07/23/11 06:06 PM
Nothing like the good times of family and friends at the lake !!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 07/24/11 03:40 PM
Don't stop posting photos and stories like this Lyle. It warms my heart to see such generational fun going on like this. Just looking at the last photo says it all.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/25/11 12:56 AM
I think I made a special friend for life that day. He is a grand-nephew. He was so excited about winning.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/30/11 06:20 PM
In addition to the golf tournament there is a Cornhole tournament each year. The winners are celebrating their third winning year in a row.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 07/30/11 09:26 PM
A championship belt - that is hysterical!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Family Farm - 07/31/11 03:38 PM
In addition to the golf tournament there is a Cornhole tournament each year.

I would respond but this has JHAP ban written all over it.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/31/11 06:10 PM
New Toys

This summer we added a SUP (stand up paddle board) and it has been popular with both adults and kids. The adults paddle around -the kids also paddle around but usually go out in pairs and spend a lot of time rocking the board to see who will fall off first-a good way to stay cool.

And both kids and adults have spent a lot of quality time on this new toy.

I think a cooler of beer was part of this voyage.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/26/11 06:03 PM
I just love the summertime and now fall is approaching with the kids back in school. Here are a few more memories of summertime fun. These were taken at our family reunion in June.

Superman

How big is the fish?

Proud fishergirl and prouder grandpa

Let's catch some fish

Just hanging out

Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 08/27/11 04:13 PM
Heaven on Earth!

Thanks for sharing...
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/27/11 07:33 PM
Thank you Sunil. We have a lot of fun here and it's a pleasure to share.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 08/28/11 01:11 AM
What a great place !!! Thanks.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/28/11 01:58 AM
Thank you. It's fun for us to post here on the Pond Boss site.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/07/11 03:06 PM
In addition to our five acre lake we have two small ponds. In June 2009 we rebuilt the dam of the smallest and built a spillway out of large rocks. The spillway can be seen from the cabin and there is a waterfall of several feet as it falls into the lake. This pond is spring fed and normally has water running into the lake.

Except it didn't take long for the water to find its own path under instead of over the rocks so it's been on the “fix list” for a long time but never got to the top of the list.

For the first time since the pond was rebuilt we are having a shortage of rainfall and for the first time since built there is no water running through the spillway so this is a good time to try for a fix. (by the way, the lake is 18 inches low, the first time it's been more than an inch or two low since built in 2005)

So I just started working on the spillway. I'm hoping that with some concrete and bentonite I can persuade the water to do what I want.

After I finish and we get some rain I'll let you know if I was successful or not.

Rebuilding the dam in 2009

After a rain in 2009

Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 10/08/11 10:59 PM
Good luck with it, Lyle. As you know, water goes where it wants, when it wants.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/09/11 01:16 PM
You are so right Sunil, hope I can at least persuade the water to do my bidding for a while. The trouble is the water never gives up and works 24/7.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/30/11 11:49 PM
The grandsons has a four day weekend from school so we spent it at the farm. We had a great time - it was pretty warm so the boys were able to spend a lot of time doing what boys like to do, get muddy and catch frogs, crawdads, and fish. We also played a lot of cards and chess. And we had a birthday party for Grandma Terry.

Fatheads and crawdads

The boys made a birthday cake completely without my help.

Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 10/31/11 05:52 PM
Thanks for sharing the pics.

Let’s see - they know how to seine , they know how to cook , they know how to play cards and know how to play chess. I would say that is a very good start.

Lyle let’s hope they did not beat you at those games.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/01/11 01:10 PM
Eric, I held my own at chess but that will be tough in the future. We are playing beginner chess with no theory or experience and next semester one of Jack's courses at Middle School will be chess. A couple of weeks into that and I doubt we will be able to play anymore.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/10/11 03:35 PM
Rain: We were having a year of normal rainfall but in July it just shut down and since we have had one of the five driest falls in the history of this area. Finally, last week we got 2 inches and this week 3 1/2 and every drop soaked in - there was no run off. I'm not complaining, the grass is greening up and the trees will be happy. Now the ground is soaked so maybe next rain we can get the lake up a bit.

The dam was built in February of 2006 and the lake filled to within 18 inches of full that May. The snow melt in early 2007 filled it completely up and since then its been full. When we dropped it 3 1/2 feet to build the cabin foundation in 2008 it re-filled immediately.

It got down to 24" low this fall and our recent rains have brought it back up to 19" low.

Around 22" low in this photo.

Posted By: jludwig Re: Family Farm - 11/10/11 04:22 PM
Lyle, we built a four acre pond Labor Day of 2010. We had three feet of water of it in until two days ago. We got lucky and got a hard rain and it rained enough to fill the pond most of the way. Now it is only 4-5 foot low. We never thought it would take over a year to fill our pond but we have been dealing with this drought.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/10/11 09:36 PM
Yes, I thing the drought was even worse to the south of our Kansas City area. Glad you got it filled up most of the way.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/22/11 09:15 PM
Ready for winter!! Had two cords of hedge delivered this past weekend giving us a total of almost four cords to start the winter.

Posted By: Sunil Re: Family Farm - 11/23/11 02:20 AM
Burn Baby, Burn!!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 11/23/11 10:13 AM
I bet that stuff burns hot. It is the most dense wood that I've ever worked with. I would hate to be the guy that cuts it.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/23/11 02:16 PM
Dave, you are so right - hedge (Osage Orange)is a really dense wood and has about the highest of heating value of all woods. In this area hedge is trash tree and grows abundantly. In the rural areas around here some people do a lot of their heating with hedge. Since our cabin has only a fireplace for heating it's great that we can readily get hedge.

Here are some energy densities for wood.
Osage Orange 33
Hickory 28
Oak 27
Ponderosa Pine 15

The first year of the cabin Scott and I tried to cut our own wood. We spent an entire day cutting hedge and got about 3/4 of a cord. Around here we can have hedge delivered and stacked for around $175 a cord so we each earned about $11 per hour. At that point we decided we would be better off sticking to our day jobs smile.

We build such hot fires that we had to have our grates custom made out of 1 inch square steel. We melt anything you can commonly buy.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 11/23/11 03:36 PM
Lyle, I used to make my own knives and, on a couple of occasions, I used bois d'arc for the handles. Beautiful wood. However I couldn't shape it with a carborundum stone on a grinder. It just scorched. I had to use a rasp. Never again.

Prior to the invention of barbed wire (bob wahr), it was planted closely on the edge of fields as a fence for livestock. Nothing got through it. I once read that the seeds were more expensive by weight than gold.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Family Farm - 11/23/11 07:16 PM
Wow, amazing place you guys have built. I was having a serious case of pond envy until I realized I am satisfied with what I recently dug especially since I never thought it would ever happen for us!

Great work you have done, it must be hard to go back to work after spending a weekend there.

I wish more of my family was healthy to enjoy our addition. My son is the only kid under 17 in the extended family, and my parents are both ill (my mom has ALS, horrible!). Treasure your time when all are healthy and never take it for granted! You are truly blessed.

Send some of that Osage our way! I heat primarily with wood and was happy to get about 50% hickory this year. Only problem with hickory is it is very high in ash content. I am constantly having to clean out the stove as compared to maple/cherry/ash.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 11/23/11 07:22 PM
Lyle try railroad rails for a grate. They work great and last a long time. I have one set that is 30 years old in the fire place.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/23/11 09:31 PM
Dave, yes we have a lot of hedge rows around here - Osage Orange thrives here. So now it has spread out beyond the rows and can take over pasture land if the land is not maintained.

Liquidsquid (not sure what to call you) thanks for your nice comments. We have been fortunate in having family able to really enjoy our lake and cabin.

Good idea Eric. I wonder where one could get rails. This spring I had two new grates welded up so we have one in reserve.
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 11/23/11 09:38 PM
Lyle, I'm sure I could get you rails, but I have no idea how to get them down to you. I have a couple of neighbors that work for the railroad.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Family Farm - 11/23/11 11:45 PM
Another use for Osage Orange.... A buddy of mine makes these by hand in his workshop. He kills deer every year with his, but since I don't hunt whitetails, mine just hangs on the wall, except for when I practice with it. It's a 5 foot bow with a 60lb draw. It will flat out drive an arrow.

Description: longbow
Attached picture 100_0254 (Medium).JPG
Attached picture 100_0255 (Medium).JPG
Attached picture 100_0259 (Medium).JPG
Attached picture 100_0261 (Medium).JPG
Attached picture 100_0262 (Medium).JPG
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/24/11 02:37 AM
Impressive bows!!

Eric, with my backup grate I've probably got 6 or 8 years covered. Then maybe I can find some local rails.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 11/24/11 10:46 AM
Beautiful wood. I'm not real sure how to treat dense wood but bodark has one potential problem. Years after being cut it can dry and crack. I had one old wood bow explode when I drew it. Sparky, I would look into treating it on a periodic basis.

BTW, the 4th picture shows an interesting notch or something. What is that for?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Family Farm - 11/24/11 01:32 PM
It's just a fissure in the wood. Not quite a knot, more of an irregularity. My friend starts off with osage logs, 6" or so in diameter and around 6' long. He splits them lengthwise into quarters, then dries them for awhile.

His shop is full of bows in various stages of completion, from raw staves with the bark still on, to finished units. He claims the most heartbreaking aspect of construction is when you pour countless hours into shaping a bow, only to uncover
a critical defect in the wood that renders it junk... it goes from a functional work of art to kindling for the stove in just a few minutes.

He assured me that the fissure in my bow would have no impact on it's functionality, since it ran with the grain. So far so good after 7 years. I have wondered about the bow drying out, though. I need to ask him if I should treat it with something.

P.S.... Happy Thanksgiving, fellow Pondmeisters. I hope you all get to enjoy time with family and friends.
Posted By: Elmiguel Re: Family Farm - 12/13/11 03:29 AM
That fella with the visor is one handsome guy
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/24/11 04:29 PM
For sure the family Christmas party at the cabin is a highlight of the year for me. I'm hoping that an old fashioned Christmas tradition is being established that the kids will have fond memories of for the rest of their lives. And I'm hoping that when the kids are young adults they will insist on the tradition being upheld.

So first need to make the decorations for the Christmas Tree.

And then go cut the tree - with a late basketball game and the sun setting at 5pm the tree was cut in the dark this year. The kids all took turns in sawing down the tree.

Back to a warm fire

And a good dinner

And then the presents!!!

But we can't forget the lake. That's what started all this!!!
A hard working crew breaking ice the next morning. Even in wintertime kids still like to play with water!!

Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 12/24/11 10:00 PM
Thanks for sharing ! Nothing like home for the holidays. Watch those kids on the ice.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 12/25/11 10:38 AM
Pretty neat Lyle. Kids at Christmas are special.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/30/11 01:05 AM
They are trained to not be on ice but we do keep an eye on them. And yes, kids do make Christmas special.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/14/12 03:57 PM
Wine Tour: I know Kansas is not known as a big wine producing state but there are now almost 30 vineyards and wineries in the state. Recently we had a party at the cabin and combined it with a winery tour. A 14 mile drive from the cabin can encompass three wineries with the closest only 2 miles from the cabin. All three grow their own grapes and all three have tasting rooms. We had a good time seeing the wineries and tasting their products. Some of the wine was surprising good and we picked up a few bottles to enjoy with dinner that evening.

Posted By: NCMike Re: Family Farm - 03/02/12 08:52 AM
Any new updates from the pond?
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/04/12 12:50 AM
Mike, after a very busy December at the farm there has been very little going on in January and February. Probably March will be slow also but we're planning a very busy April, May, June. April will be the big “get ready for summer” month while May and June will be the biggest activity months of the year. Late May and early June are the most beautiful weather of the year for Kansas and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else those months.

Projects for the spring include a big load of gravel and beach work, some parking lot work by the garage, tree trimming, and mowing will be getting started. I also want to transfer a bunch of dirt from the big dirt pile to the back slope of Crawdad Pond. Additionally we plan to install a cell phone antenna with a repeater as cellular phone and internet signals down at the cabin are weak.

Some memories from last summer to get us ready for the upcoming warm weather.

Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 03/04/12 01:20 AM
Lyle,

On the cell phone antenna/repeater are you using Wilson Electronics? I installed one last year and it works great. If you want to expand to internet also look into a cradlepoint router with a 3G/4G usb dongle.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/04/12 01:53 AM
Good feedback. Yes, I was looking at using the Wilson and using their Yagi antenna mounted on the cabin's roof. Using their repeater I can use my computers wireless card for internet as well as my Motorola Zoom tablet.
Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 03/04/12 01:44 PM
I sure you know this, you need to point the antenna at the cell tower giving you service. You can find this a couple of different ways. You can download a signal strength app and walk around outside the cabin and see where you get the strongest signal. Hopefully this works for you, it didn't for me since I have 3 towers all roughly the same distance away. Two of them are from my provider so I focused on them. I went out and found the GPS location of them (drove to them and recorded it). I picked one that appeared to be a clearer view based on terrain between the house and the cabin. Using GIS tools (Expert GPS) I loaded the GPS location of the chosen tower and that gave my the compass direction to point the antenna at.

The reason I have the cradlepoint router is that I have internet cameras at the farm that allows me to keep an I on the place and email me when they detect motion. I also have a weather station at the farm that can be viewed on the internet at

http://www.weatherlink.com/user/lassig/index.php?view=main&headers=1
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 03/04/12 02:21 PM
Mark:

How do you find the locations of the towers? For instance AT&T
Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 03/05/12 01:56 AM
Scott,

There are websites that are suppose to tell you where the towers are and who the providers is but I found them very inaccurate. I drove around looking for them and at the same time watch the signal strength on the phone. The bars are not accurate enough need to look at the physical strength. Also you can tell who the provider of the antenna is in the network settings on the phone (the signal strength is also there). It was a good way to spend a hot summer afternoon.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/05/12 03:36 AM
The weather station is really cool.
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 03/05/12 04:47 AM
Thanks. Signal sucks here at the house. I've been right next to a local tower (maybe 75 yds away), and dropped the call. Moved a couple hundred yards and the signal was maxed out.
Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 03/05/12 01:18 PM
Nice thing about the weather station is it includes inside temperature and will send an email when it drops below a temperature that I set. Actually many items can be set to alarm and send an email.
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 03/05/12 03:30 PM
Mark: What weather station do you have, and what does it do about snow (if anything)?
Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 03/05/12 05:19 PM
It measure it as rain when it melts, but not much gets collected so this isn't an accurate measurement.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Family Farm - 03/06/12 01:36 AM
Probably a Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, which I also own. You can get a "bucket warmer" for this station which requires some nearby AC power to keep the tipping bucket warm enough for measuring water equivalent snow. All kinds of accessories, and I think I am going to get another station plus repeater down by the pond just for curiosity sake.

I have own my station for 8 years now, and with a few minor problems such as ants getting into the remote unit I have had not problems. Ants apparently are conductive and when they crawl across terminals make you think it is raining pretty hard out!

Anyways there are some great hobbyist/serious weather folks out there which I am one of. My station on FindU: http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?CW3833
(Gap in readings were when I was down in Montgomery, AL.)
And on the Weather Underground:
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=14469 Which usually gets my station to come up.

Sooo... yes, these are highly recommended stations and are affordable for the quality. There are other stations that cost much less, but their accuracy is horrible and survival rates are miserable.

Now, before I completely thread-jack, I bring you back to your daily programming.
-Mark
Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 03/06/12 03:33 AM
Sorry Scott I missed the question, it is a Davis Vantage Vue. Lots going on today for both work and the farm so running in circles a lot. Back in Chicago land (great) now for a couple of days. Counting the days till I go back to the farm (4).
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 03/06/12 05:30 AM
Mark, where in Chicagoland? I'll be headed in there probably Wed night thru Friday. I'll be near Midway Airport. If you're up that way, give me a shout and maybe we could get together for dinner or something.

Thanks guys for info on the weather stations. I've been wanting to get one for a while.
Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 03/06/12 12:34 PM
North Aurora/Naperville area so a ways from Midway.
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 03/06/12 03:31 PM
45 min to an hour.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/24/12 12:01 AM
Springtime,yeah!!

We are doing try number three to stock some Wipers. The first time, 2008, when we lowered the lake to build the cabin. That year the lowered lake made a channel dry and Scott put a net across it and put in wipers when it filled. But a heavy rain washed out the net and the bass got in and wiped out the wipers.

Try two was several years ago in a separate pond on farm but apparently some bass had swum upstream from the lake when the pond was overflowing and again most were wiped out.

So now we are stocking another separate pond, a quite small one that we are sure has no bass. We stocked 100 wipers and 10lbs of fatheads. we will seine them out in a couple of months and put in the lake.

Adding the wipers

The boys and I spent the weekend and they did a little fishing.

Tom with 17", 2 1/2 lb bass

Jack with 8lb catfish

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 04/24/12 01:18 AM
Too cool, Lyle! Love seeing your posts - almost feel like we're getting to watch your family grow up!
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 04/24/12 01:23 AM
Jack looks happy. wink
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/26/12 12:31 AM
I appreciate the comments. The comments and the views keeps me going.

This morning.

Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Family Farm - 04/26/12 01:03 PM
Wow.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/07/12 12:55 PM
Two more morning photos - been having good sunrises lately.

From the deck.

Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 05/07/12 01:39 PM
Outstanding pics !!!!
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 05/07/12 04:05 PM
Amazing sunrises!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/14/12 01:25 PM
This photo was taken April 19 and the young ones were only one day old. Only two have survived to this point.

We also have a new sign created by my niece. I think it's really cool and intend to eventually make coffee cups using the design.

Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 05/14/12 02:31 PM
Lyle I am seeing a red X on the second pic . ?
Posted By: roadwarriorsvt Re: Family Farm - 05/14/12 08:31 PM
Thats post card material right there! Beautiful.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/15/12 01:08 AM
I don't know what's happening Eric, it shows up fine on my computer.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/15/12 01:09 AM
Thanks, since you are from Hawaii you should know postcard material.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 05/15/12 11:50 AM
Eric, I get the pic with no problem.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/25/12 12:24 AM
Exciting times here. The sixth annual family reunion at Camp Krehbiel starts tomorrow evening and runs for the holiday weekend. We will have 32 this year. Got the place looking better than ever. Can't wait.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 05/25/12 01:34 AM
Have fun and take plenty of pics.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/03/12 02:28 AM
The Reunion last weekend was great and everyone had a ball. Will be posting some photos soon.

There was one small problem however!!!

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/29/12 01:45 AM
Went flying today and got some aerial shots.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 06/29/12 10:30 AM
Quite a shot Lyle.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/01/12 01:27 AM
We have just completed the driest April, May, June in 101 years. The lake is down around 10 inches. Hope the rest of the summer is not so dry.
Posted By: LUSKFAN Re: Family Farm - 07/02/12 02:05 AM
Lyle, I have enjoyed your posts/pics from day one! I am curious about the water source for your pond. It always looks good and full in the pics that you post. Do you have a well, good water shed, or just lucky enough to have a pond that doesn't leak much? Just curious........

Thanks again,
Eddie
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/05/12 11:41 PM
Good questions re the water source. Normally the pond stays completely full with a small stream over the spillway. Once the pond filled up (about two months after building the dam) in 2006 it has mostly stayed within a few inches of full. Last year however we had no run off July-November and it got 23 inches low. Then we had good November rains and it filled back up. Now this year we have had no run off since the end of March and we are now about a foot low. I sure hope we get some rain soon.

We have four different draws leading into the pond. In wet times three of them are springs and all of them have a good run off flow. Before building the dam I did calculations on normal run off and calculated around 100 acre/ft per year. And I figured only around two acre foot would be needed to keep the pond full. The dam does leak a little bit.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/16/12 01:29 PM
Lots of catching up to do so I will make a start now. May and June and especially June are the months of heavy usage of the farm/lake/cabin not leaving me much time for anything else. During those two months KS has it's best weather of the year and we have a number of large get-togethers as well as other events.

The weather was perfect for the family reunion over memorial day weekend. We started on Friday evening, some more came on Saturday, and most left on Monday. Everyone had a bast and below are a few photos from the weekend.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/02/12 12:47 AM
And a few more photos from the Family Reunion

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 08/02/12 09:33 AM
Lyle, it looks like you have come up with the best reason to have a pond and "cabin".
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/02/12 01:58 PM
Dave, family and friends enjoying the property is our goal. I do know that all the family members do really look forward to and enjoy the reunion. And it's great to keep us connected - for many of the family it's the only time all year that we see one another. Most of us live in Kansas but we've had members from OR, CA, and SC attending.
Posted By: greatwhiteape Re: Family Farm - 08/07/12 06:38 PM
This entire thread is a gold mine from start to finish.

About that leaky dam, you know they're a lot easier to fix when they leak a little instead of waiting for them to leak a lot LOL.

Have you ever thought about pumping water into the pond?

A buddy of mine down in virginia keeps his pond full year round pumping water in with a wind turbine set up. Its just a thought since you guys seem pretty savvy with the green technology.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Family Farm - 08/07/12 10:38 PM
Groundwater is much harder to find in Oklahoma and Kansas at a level that would produce a good gpm water well.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/09/12 06:56 PM
We only have solar power so couldn't pump enough to keep lake full. Our leak is a small one and I think nearly all our water loss is evaporation. There has been no runoff since March. Sure hope we get some rains soon.
Posted By: jludwig Re: Family Farm - 08/17/12 12:47 AM
Same as us. Our ponds have dropped quite a bit in the last few months.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/16/12 04:31 PM
Can't leave our smallest pond,Crawdad, alone.

Crawdad started out as a spring fed depression that was usually wet. When we built the lake in 2006 we dug it out and put up a small dam. Then in 2009 we rebuilt the dam and also enlarged the pond quite a bit. Then this spring we raised the spillway about eight inches making the full level nearly to the top of the dam.

Last week we decided to take advantage of the drouth and make "Crawdad" pond a little deeper. We have had NO run-off since March, are 10 inches below normal in rainfall, and Crawdad is dry. When filled it will look no different but will be quite a bit deeper, up to six or more feet at the deepest.

Last week:

Last week after completing the project:

Last Spring after raising the spillway:

Rebuilding Dam in 2009:
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 09/17/12 01:28 AM
Looks like a great place to grow some craws.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Family Farm - 09/17/12 02:51 AM
Where's the 2010, 2011, 2012 winners? Just curious smile
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Family Farm - 09/17/12 02:18 PM
Brettski.........
Posted By: wenonah31 Re: Family Farm - 10/29/12 04:02 PM
I just finished reading this thread from start to finish. All I can say is Wow. The place is great, and I love seeing all the family and friends getting together to enjoy the place. This is what I want for my place. My Aunt and Uncle have built a house on the family farm, looking out over the pond. We do enjoy spending time there fishing, boating, swimming, and just sitting on the dock enjoying the day. Thanks so much for sharing.
David
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/30/12 03:10 PM
Thanks for your nice comments David. We really do get tremendous enjoyment from time with family and friends at our place.

The biggest event of the year at the farm, the Krehbiel Family Reunion, probably would not be held if not for the farm. We never had one in the past and only all got together for funerals. Now we have a once a year extended time together where we can have a lot of fun. And we have so much room and so many possible activities that everyone can spread out and do what they like.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/23/12 10:04 PM
Just finished Thanksgiving at the cabin. Was there Tuesday morning though Friday morning. Had a great time. We did the family Thanksgiving last weekend so this week was Terry and myself. And Scott and the boys spent Tuesday afternoon and night.

What could be better that a warm afternoon and a nice pile of gravel.

It's nice to have a breakfast cook.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 11/24/12 01:08 AM
Rocks , boat , food , warm weather in Nov. - What more could you ask for. Got any more pics ? What were the rocks for ?
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/24/12 02:31 PM
Those were the only photos I got this week. As for the rocks the area south of the cabin became even more exposed than shown in this photo due to our drought. At the time we built the cabin, 2008, we put gravel down in this area but it was difficult because the lake had already filled (we couldn't keep the lake low that year when we were trying to build). So this year we wanted to get a better bed of gravel down while we had the chance. Once the dump truck backed up to the dumping spot it was obvious that there was enough of a side to side slope that dumping would be impossible. So we were left with 18 tons of 1/2 inch clean to do something with.

Fortunately we can always find a good use for gravel. Had half put in the parking area and half on the beach. Will let Tom play in it till spring and then will spread it.

Putting down the gravel in 2008

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/02/12 11:31 PM
It was very foggy this morning. Made things look different.

Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 12/03/12 03:31 PM
And early it appears. Good pics !
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/09/12 11:39 PM
Thanks Eric, it was early.

Spent last night at the cabin and got this photo.

A cold night, a hot fire, a warm cabin, Tom and Grandma working on a jigsaw puzzle.
Posted By: Fatih Re: Family Farm - 12/23/12 11:08 PM
Wow. I've never enjoyed a thread so much. This is the exact living space i would dream for myself.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/24/12 01:27 PM
Thanks Fatih, it is our dream space also. We are very happy with how the project turned out.

I'm curious as to how you discovered this thread.

Terry and I spent two days in Istanbul this fall and loved it.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/24/12 01:43 PM
We had our Christmas at the cabin on Saturday. As we do each year we did an old fashioned Christmas cutting a tree on the property and making the decorations for the tree.

Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 12/24/12 01:58 PM
Lyle outstanding ! ! ! You are making traditions. One observation - never thought I would see Dec. cutting Christmas trees in short pants in Kan. Those cedars can be rough on bare skin however.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/03/13 04:23 AM
We have had two feet of snow in the last week so hoping that will put some water into the lake. It is down 26 inches.

Last spring we added an antenna system to the cabin. The cabins's cell service was too weak to reliably make calls or get data. At the entrance to the farm the signal is good but due to the low elevation of the cabin and the cabin's metal roof it is very weak.

This system uses an antenna to receive the cellular signal, then the signal is amplified and sent to an indoor antenna for re-broadcast. It does all signals so works will all phones or cellular wireless cards.

It is a great success. We have a very good signal in the cabin now. No more walking up to the garage to make a call and can use our computers and pads for the internet.

Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 03/03/13 12:59 PM
Lyle,

Looks like you have the same system that I have. I wouldn't be able to live on the farm and work remote without mine. Your going to love having it.

Now waiting on 4G LTE to get in the neighborhood so I can get some faster speeds. Worked on a LTE deployment with US Cellular last summer thinking that was going to my solution. They turned it on mid December only to under power it and the signal stops about 3 miles away. Going to have to wait for Verizon to upgrade and hope they put more power to it. Hoping they power it enough that I will not need to use a signal booster with it. If not it will require another system since the amplifier of the available systems don't do the 700 Mhz ranges that LTE uses. I hoping to not have two systems. Of course if the carriers starting using LTE for voice only one system would be needed.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/07/13 07:10 PM
I'm wondering about 4G LTE also. Sometimes now at the cabin my devices are on 4G so I'm not getting the advantage of the antenna for data. The 4G signal is weaker than the amplified 3G one.
Posted By: otto Re: Family Farm - 03/09/13 12:14 PM
If any one ever made a dream come true is is you guys.

GREAT WORK

otto
Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 03/10/13 02:47 AM
Nice to have 4G available, you should notice better data rates, unless the signal is really weak. Sounds like your carrier is using different spectrum for 4G which is the normal. Last I looked Wilson didn't have a single solution to covered the 3G data/voice spectrum and the 4G Data solution. So you will need an additional solution to amplify the 4G signal. Kind of a pain but needed until the carriers move to VoIP over 4G and move away from the current circuit data solutions.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/10/13 11:39 PM
Mike, you were there to help us get started and it's all flowed from that start.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/10/13 11:41 PM
Yes, I'm hoping for a single 3G/4G solution - or all 4G even better.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/13/13 09:51 PM
The lake and ponds are brimming full!!!!! The area had two 12" snows and 1/2 inch rain in the last several weeks and that did the job. There had been almost no runoff since last April. By the end of August the lake was down 26 inches and that is where it stayed until the snow melt. It's a big relief to not be going into the summer with the level way low.

Since summer it has looked like this. You can see the water mark on the foundation showing the normal filled level. Since the lake was built it has stayed completely full with rare exceptions.

Posted By: lassig Re: Family Farm - 03/14/13 12:20 PM
Lyle

Congrats on a full pool, mine is recovering but I still have 4 to 5 feet to go.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 03/14/13 04:01 PM
Hope yours fills up soon.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/16/13 02:30 PM
Amazing what you can catch in our lake!

A new record for us - eighteen inches and 4 1/4 pounds.

And we caught some other nice ones.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/22/13 12:16 AM
It's great to have it looking like this again:

After 7 or 8 months of looking like this:
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/29/13 01:54 PM
The largemouth record set two weeks ago has already been broken. Got this 5lb one Saturday. It has been Scott's goal since day one of the lake to have 5+lb largemouth.

Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 04/29/13 03:23 PM
Nice fish - appear to be pre spawn females in prime condition. ! Lake looks great. With craws that size your LMB should stay healthy - with enough other forage.
Posted By: esshup Re: Family Farm - 04/29/13 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Nice fish - appear to be pre spawn females in prime condition. ! Lake looks great. With craws that size your LMB should stay healthy - with enough other forage.

Yeah, but I want to know how he gets the rubber bands on the claws??
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/29/13 05:21 PM
We have an underwater robot for doing the rubber bands:).
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/21/13 12:25 AM
Lots of stuff going on the last week or so. Hired a guy to do a lot of tree trimming and another to pick up the limbs. I've been doing tons of mowing. Getting ready for the year's biggest event, the family reunion. It will be this coming weekend, Fri. eve - Monday and we expect 41 on Saturday.

We also changed the color of the cabin last week - from grey to a low key green.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/30/13 11:43 PM
When we stocked the lake there was one albino fingerling that we noticed. Now there are a number of albino catfish and this past weekend Jack caught the largest one so far.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 05/31/13 10:12 AM
Albinoism in CC's must be a dominant gene.
Posted By: RAH Re: Family Farm - 05/31/13 12:59 PM
Nope it is recessive like in other animals
http://books.google.com/books?id=PdxLfZa...ive&f=false
Posted By: WRFinTX Re: Family Farm - 05/31/13 11:57 PM
This thread is incredible. I have just recently purchased a new home with pond and hope to create the same memories you have with yours. I am 29 and look forward to having my 11 month old have the same great memories you have created for your children and grandchildren. Thoroughly enjoyed spending an hour reading through this and aspire to one day be able to create a fraction of its awesomeness.

Thank you for sharing and inspiring a pond newbie.
Randy
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/02/13 02:28 PM
Thank you Randy - your comments are much appreciated. Good luck with your new pond. I'm sure you will find it as rewarding as we have found ours-a pond never ceases to bring great pleasure.

Over Memorial Day weekend we held our annual family reunion here with forty one in attendance. All had a great time-will be posting some photos soon.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 06/12/13 01:53 PM
Last week Jack set new records for both SMB and Catfish. The catfish was 11.8 lbs and the LMB 6.5 lbs. This is the third time this spring that the LMB record has been broken.

Posted By: Omaha Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 06/12/13 02:59 PM
Except that's a largemouth. wink

Very big fish. Nice catch Jack!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 06/12/13 11:55 PM
Opps, that was a typo. Glad you caught it. We do not have SMB in our lake.
Posted By: Sunil Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 06/13/13 12:46 PM
Look at the gut on that pig!!!
Posted By: Crstfr Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 08/20/13 05:21 PM
one of the best thread's I've read in a long time!!! beautiful place.. great post.... awesome job Lyle!
Posted By: CMM Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 08/20/13 08:39 PM
Keep up the posts! This is an awesome place and an inspiring story. CMM
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 08/22/13 12:51 PM
Thank you both very much for the kind posts. Happy to keep the thread going - it's been a fun ride fixing up the property, sharing it with family and friends, and sharing the experience with this thread.

Last weekend Scott, several friends, and their kids spent the night and did some fishing. Here are photos of some of the catch.

Caught a lot of bass in the 5lb range

And one albino channel cat.

A 3lb wiper.

Best of all a new record (for us)channel cat - 14 lbs.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 08/22/13 01:34 PM
Your place and how you share with others is so cool, and those are some nice fish too...
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 08/22/13 02:42 PM
I appreciate you comment.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 09/28/13 04:13 PM
We had a great family reunion this year with 41 attending. Friday evening through Monday of Memorial Day weekend. Here are a few photos from the event.

The Cornhole Tournament is a serious and fiercely contested event each year with numerous teams entered. It's a double elimination tournament and takes an entire afternoon.

This year we had a new championship team. In the finals Scott and Jack defeated the five time defending champions Shawn and Brett.

Cooking up some Low Country Boil

No time to waste-lunch on the go.

Generation Three
Posted By: ewest Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 09/29/13 10:04 PM
This is what life is about. Great event Lyle and thanks for sharing the reunion with us. That food looks good !
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 11/29/13 03:19 PM
A lake has many valuable uses. For one, a frozen lake makes a good place to chill the Thanksgiving Champagne.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 01/03/14 01:51 AM
Having Christmas in a warm cabin on a frozen lake.

But we did have to go out in the cold to cut a tree.

If the tree is tall you need a ladder to decorate the top.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 01/22/14 03:51 AM
We are spending six cold winter days at the farm and enjoying it very much. Our only heat is the fireplace but we are staying toasty warm.

It was a little chilly this morning.

A very cold night but the strong wind kept part of the lake ice free.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 05/20/14 09:25 PM
A new channel cat record for the lake, 12.5lbs. A second thing to note is that my grandson is now as tall as I.

Here is a another photo of the two of us taken in 2005 when we were clearing out the trees for the lake bed.

Posted By: esshup Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 05/21/14 12:04 AM
I never tire of looking at the new pictures and reading the descriptions!
Posted By: ewest Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 05/21/14 08:10 PM
Great pics Lyle. I am not much on those winter temps however.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 05/22/14 10:45 AM
Lyle, those boys have a way of doing that. My little Grandson is now 6'2". I have shrunk about 1/2 inch during the time he has been growing.
Posted By: Beaux Re: Family Farm - 06/09/14 02:06 AM
Oooh WOW, your place is absolutely amazing... Looks planned to perfection... Lots of hard work and sweat, but worth every drop I'm sure wink

Bravo bravo !!!!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/06/14 08:13 PM
Thank you all for your comments. Four of five years ago we planted a wildflower mix on the mound across the lake and have been enjoying some good color since. This spring was big on purple and it lasted for at least six weeks. Now we still have blooms of various flowers but not as spectacular.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 08/28/14 10:18 PM
We have four draws leading into the lake and in the past we dug out two of them such that one can take a kayak or boat up them. Visitors really enjoy exploring them. They were getting silted in and were a bit on the narrow side. So this week we dug them to a five foot depth and doubled their width. In the spring after the muck has had a chance to dry a bit we will spread out the dirt piles with a loader. This fall we plan to plant some trees, grass, and wild flowers at the shoreline. We only did the digging on one side of each so the other shore of each had the wild growth that mother nature provided.

Posted By: snrub Re: Family Farm - 08/30/14 02:52 AM
I want one of those excavators. I could do so much damage and have so much fun doing it.
Posted By: rmedgar Re: Family Farm - 08/30/14 04:26 PM
Always enjoy your updates...
Posted By: lmd59 Re: Family Farm - 09/30/14 10:51 PM
Lyle,
I'm fairly new to this forum and it has been very helpful to me so far. I bought 71 acres in east Texas about a year ago and we are thrilled to have it. We have a pond that is about 1.5-2 acres and having a great time with it.

It took me two sessions over two days to read this entire thread. I am truly touched by the entire thread and your commitment to your family. God has certainly blessed you.

Thanks for the updates. It is great to see the changes in your property and the changes in your family.

Take care,
Lynn
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/02/14 08:26 PM
Thank you Lynn and welcome to Pond Boss. Good luck with your new land and pond, I'm sure it will bring you many good times. It has been a pleasure for Scott and I to share some of our good times at our farm/lake/cabin with others.

Grandson Jack and I were planting trees here yesterday and ended up getting soaking wet in a rainstorm. After the rain stopped we had this great rainbow.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 10/19/14 06:36 PM
Grandson Jack and I planted 40 hybrid willows recently. I want to have some quick growth along the waterways and also planted some in a spot to block seeing any other civilization. Trouble is, the deer are eating the leaves. Too many trees to try to protect. We will see how they do in the spring.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/27/14 11:17 PM
The Krehbiel Family Reunion was on Memorial day this year like always. I'm a bit slow in posting some photos from that fun weekend but here are some now.

Every year we have a double elimination Cornhole Tournment and here is the 2014 winning team.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 11/28/14 01:38 AM
Looks like good times Lyle. I like the frog girl.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/18/15 06:15 PM
Working on a few projects this spring. We have mowed a number of trails around the 80 acres. We enjoy riding the trails in our Kawasaki Mule and especially enjoy taking guests on Mule rides.

Yesterday we added a creek crossing a few hundred yards below the dam so that we could have a "creek trail".

A few thorny locust trees needed to be removed.

The other part was making a low water crossing. For a good bit of the year there will be a small stream flowing.
Posted By: JKB Re: Family Farm - 04/18/15 07:10 PM
Pretty cool!
Posted By: Bing Re: Family Farm - 04/18/15 11:59 PM
I always enjoy your posts Lyle !!
Posted By: snrub Re: Family Farm - 04/19/15 01:53 AM
Very cool.

Making a 4 wheeler trail through the timber portion of our property has been on my "to do" list since last year. Maybe will get it done this summer. Wife and I also enjoy riding around the ponds and property like you. Have made several low water crossings also.
Posted By: Mike Otto Re: Family Farm - 04/19/15 11:09 AM
Lyle you guys have had fun from the first day you got on the property. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/19/15 04:53 PM
I appreciate all your comments. Using the property, making improvements, enjoying family, having guests, and sharing with the Pond Boss community - it's all been fun!
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Family Farm - 04/19/15 05:24 PM
Went thru this whole thread!! Pretty awesome!!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 04/24/15 09:16 PM
Houston we have a problem!!!!

Looking out the window first thing yesterday morning I saw this. Not good, this was one of two Cottonwood trees on Swim Island and we were planning on a rope swing off a branch of this tree when it got large enough. The lake is 9 years old and this was the first sign of a beaver that we noticed.

So I got on the internet to see how to protect trees from beaver and found this solution. I put the protection on all our Cottonwood trees (5) and all our Hackberry trees (7). Tomorrow I will do all the Maple trees around 6.
Posted By: Mike Otto Re: Family Farm - 04/27/15 12:20 PM
Lyle They say where there is one there will be two.
Posted By: rockytopper Re: Family Farm - 04/30/15 07:03 PM
KILL THE LITTLE SOB's!!!! I hate beavers. I took care of my problem at my house pond about 3 weeks ago and yes there were 2 of them it turned out. A few years back you guys may remember this post. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=210498&page=1

I lost all love for the furry little varmint after this happened. 1200$$$ worth I hope they tasted good.
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: Family Farm - 04/30/15 07:32 PM
I noticed last time up there were cut sweetgumbranches they had stripped of bark.... Looks like a beaver to me.... CR..! Just what I need! I don't like sweetgum at all but they won't stop there
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 04/30/15 10:52 PM
We used to have some in the creek. Then, I assume, the coyotes got them.
Posted By: DavidV Re: Family Farm - 05/07/15 03:51 AM
Beavers will ruin you trees and dam. Had a few when I initially bought my property and got rid of them by trapping and shooting them (4 total). Two years later they showed up again. My wife took care of them one night with an FN SCAR 17.
Posted By: Mike Otto Re: Family Farm - 05/07/15 02:44 PM
Beavers Will almost always return. They know a good deal when they see one, keep the traps handy and the gun loaded.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/08/15 03:49 PM
Yes, we think we got one and now I'm getting serious about the second one.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/08/15 04:25 PM
Family Reunion 2015

I'm sorry that the summer is sorta over - I love the summertime, my favorite season.

We kicked off our summer here with our Ninth Annual Krehbiel Family reunion over Memorial day weekend. It was cooler and wetter than we would have prefered but we had a great time anyway.

We have sorta fallen in to some traditions, really good food for one. On Friday evening our meal is centered on delicious hamburgers provided by my sister and brother-in-law from their ranching operation(all cuts of meat go into their burger). On Saturday evening we have BBQ out of our big smoker with Chefs Scott and Shawn(ribs, pork shoulder, venison, chicken) and I make 3 gallons of ice cream. On Sunday evening I do a "Low Country Boil" (shrimp, sausage, crab legs, corn, potatoes). And everyone brings lots and lots of all kinds of goodies.

And on Saturday afternoons we have a very competitive doubles with double elemination Corn Hole tournment.

Here we are:

Jack turned 15 over the weekend. And he got the F150 stuck in the field.

Notice the tent on the island. Tom and Miles lived there.

The cooler weather did not keep the kids out of the water!

And the fishing was good.

Catching crawdads and other assorted creatures.
Posted By: BBoss Re: Family Farm - 10/31/15 01:34 PM
fantastic, looks like so much fun
Posted By: Bob-O Re: Family Farm - 10/31/15 01:57 PM
I see many happy faces in the family picture. You should be proud that you have created such a good environment for them. Congratulations!!
Posted By: Tbar Re: Family Farm - 10/31/15 04:19 PM
Very nice......!!!
Posted By: VonLechten Re: Family Farm - 10/31/15 11:58 PM
Oh my Lord that's beautiful!!!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 11/24/15 02:39 AM
I appreciate all the comments since my last post.

This fall worked on the little pond again - about the fourth time - I keep having bigger plans for it - and this time needed to fix a leak.

Still have the beaver problem I've been too busy to get that fixed. I've protected the best trees but they are making a mess with other trees. Got to get this taken care of.

One more photo from the Family Reunion held on Memorial Day weekend.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 11/24/15 10:43 AM
Lyle, that pic says it all.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 01/25/16 10:19 PM
Moon Setting on a cold January morning - yesterday.
Posted By: ewest Re: Family Farm - 01/25/16 11:11 PM
Great pic !!! Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 02/21/16 02:11 AM
Last spring I posted that two beavers had shown up. We put protection around the most valuable trees and made plans for getting rid of the beavers. Unfortunately for various reasons we still have the beavers and they have done a lot of destruction.

Today Scott set two body traps so we hope this will work for us.

Posted By: Bill D. Re: Family Farm - 02/21/16 01:00 PM
Good Luck Lyle!

What's the temperature in Kansas? Can't help noticing Scott is dressed like it is pretty darn warm there!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 02/21/16 04:48 PM
We just had several 70 degree days. A taste of spring.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 09/05/16 03:44 PM
The Krehbiel Family Reunion 2016 was held over Memorial Day weekend, Friday evening thru Monday lunch (I'm three months late posting). We had great weather and a great turnout of forty some. From my generation of ten cousins we had eight in attendance. All three generations had a blast throughout.

The kayak relay race was enjoyed by both the participants and the spectators.

When jumping into the unknown it's good to have a friend.

A nice bass.

The annual Corn Hole Double Elimination Tournament.

Eight teams entered.

Scott and Jack successfully defend their title.

Grandson Jack brought a friend.

Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/11/17 07:21 PM
What a disappointment that Photo Bucket is now ransoming the photos that for many years they hosted for free. I used Photo Bucket to put photos in this thread. I'd pay a reasonable amount for their service, but $400 a year, no way.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Family Farm - 12/11/17 07:27 PM
They show up just fine for me
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Family Farm - 12/11/17 08:23 PM
Not for me
Posted By: Tbar Re: Family Farm - 12/11/17 10:23 PM
Nope.....can't see them here either.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: Family Farm - 12/12/17 01:35 PM
I use Chrome for my browser, then went to 'extensions' and added the extension called 'Photobucket Hotlink fix' and voila all pictures on the forum from photobucket work again. I suspect there is a similar plug in for your browser
Posted By: beastman Re: Family Farm - 12/12/17 01:57 PM
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...pbifiaedg?hl=en

'added to chrome' green rectangle clicked on it and now photos show again on Pond Boss using chrome.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 12/12/17 02:40 PM
Good call! I added the extension to my Chrome Browser and the photos came back.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/03/18 12:06 AM
Does anyone have a good weight/length chart for channel cats?
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Family Farm - 05/03/18 01:11 AM
Does anyone have a good weight/length chart for channel cats?

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=468638#Post468638
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 05/03/18 03:09 AM
Thanks much. Great charts.
Posted By: RStringer Re: Family Farm - 06/26/18 07:54 PM
Man you have a beautiful place. Where at in Kansas are you we are just outside of Parsons Ks (southeast corner).
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: Family Farm - 07/19/18 09:19 PM
Thank you - we have a lot of fun at the place. We are in eastern KS not too far from Kansas City.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 09/15/18 05:08 PM
When we stocked the lake in 2006 we saw an albino fingerling catfish. Since then we have seen and caught albino catfish many times. My niece, shown below, had her birthday party here this month and she caught this good size albino.

Posted By: robjones Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 11/02/18 01:53 AM
What a great investment you have there! I would love my pond to be that big. Keep us posted!
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 12/24/18 03:56 PM
Thanks, Rob. Spring/summer is my favorite time at our lake but we enjoy it year round. We just had our family Christmas Party and here are some photos from that.

We have plenty of wild cedar trees on the property and always harvest one as part of the Christmas Party. Something my sister and I used to do with our grandmother so it's great to be able to continue the tradition with our own grandchildren.

Some other photos from the Family Christmas:

Posted By: Bill Cody Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 01/08/19 01:53 AM
Thanks for continually sharing great family times that happen at your lake house. Be proud of all you have accomplished. It is a very good example of creating great family memories.
Posted By: Lyle Krehbiel Re: 2009 Project of the Year Award!!! - 01/09/19 02:30 PM
Thanks Bill, I appreciate your kind words. It's good to have this formum where we can all share - thank you for your activity in the formum.
© Pond Boss Forum