Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Purplepiggies7, BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver
18,506 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,967
Posts558,028
Members18,507
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
6 members (FishinRod, JoshMI, papereater, Jward87, Brian from Texas, Shorthose), 914 guests, and 289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Donatello, FireIsHot, jludwig
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by bstone261
bstone261
I just wanted to get some feedback on my stocking plan, I have done a lot of research and just wanted to make sure I am on the right path. Thank you...

Central Indiana - Brand New Pond dug in summer of 2023
2 acre pond, 12 feet deep at its deepest.
Lots of fish structure and a very large breeding area with sand and various size fish structures.
Have two Texas Feeders on the pond, will feed Optimal Fish Food
(qty 4) dual head aerators spread out in the pond

Stocked Late Summer of 2023
100 lbs Fathead Minnows
100 lbs Golden Shiners

Stocking this late March 2024
3000 Bluegill 2"- 3"
1000 Bluegill 3"- 4"
1000 Redear 2"- 3"
12 Grass Carp

Next year early summer 2025
100 Large Mouth Bass
50 Hybrid Striped Bass

I appreciate any feedback and recommendations, but please provide reasoning for recommendations.
Liked Replies
by Snipe
Snipe
Size of fish (bass) planning to stock?
I see the group you posted on, I'm on there as well, you have to be very careful of using the info you get there-or anywhere for that matter. We can give you some very sound advice here if you share your goals/intensions.
2 members like this
by Bill Cody
Bill Cody
bstone - the advice here is not biased nor trying to sell you anything. Advice here comes from very knowledgeable and experienced pond owners and professional pond managers. When you provide a definitive goal for the fishery, we can then provide information and options for you to make some wise and important decisions.to achieve your goals. Pond management is not just about adding the right fish. Most importantly the long term quality of the fishery is about wise and proper management of the fish that were stocked. Important topics are: 1. food chain mgmt, 2, water quality aka Happy Water, 3, the proper amount of managed habitat, and 4, the correct harvest to keep the fish growing well at the correct balance of numbers comprising the carrying capacity and standing crop.

Note- You have good diversity of structures. However I think a lot of the habitat you installed tended to be IMO too spread out - separate units. Good habitat in my concept is more grouped together similar to natural large areas of weed beds or shorelines of fallen wood - trees. Placement of your structure is more focused on fish attractors as separate structures rather than groupings or cities of connected structures together that imitate refuge areas such as weed beds to better improve production and increase standing crop while also attracting fish. Weed beds are in most cases the best overall productive habitats in lakes.
2 members like this
by Snipe
Snipe
No reason to buy hatch at 1-2".
i pull my fry and stock out in 3 days post-hatch in heavily fertilized ponds to maximize growth rates. At day 35 I pull and put in feed training tanks. The top fish achieve near twice the growth of the other half and after feed training, these go back outside in grow outs full of forage AND supplemental feeding.
I won't sell 2-3" fish to stock, doesn't make sense and is BAD business.
My fish at 2-3" are FAR from low RW, in fact they are absolute pigs and again, long, skinny fish are not healthy, they have missed something from day 1 and I'm not sure where you get this notion.
I've tried and tried to keep an open mind here, but I'm about to just quit posting because this is not good advice given above and apparently my personal experience is just crap.
Done for now..
2 members like this
by Snipe
Snipe
1., why grass carp?
2., What size bass will be stocked in 25? If less than 8", stock 2500 4-5" BG and forget the 3000 2-3".
3., I like the LMB numbers in general, size may change my mind.
4., I would be inclined to wait until fall of 25 or spring of 26 for HSB.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
Oxygenator equipment advice
by papereater - 04/29/24 05:01 PM
Do fish help with clarity?
by Joe7328 - 04/29/24 03:06 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Augie - 04/29/24 02:51 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
Newly Uploaded Images