Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,008
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (highflyer, JoshMI, Shorthose, Sunil, anthropic, Boondoggle, canyoncreek, Dave Davidson1, esshup, bmicek, Don Kennedy), 1,097 guests, and 183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
4CornersPuddle, Augie, esshup, FishinRod, jludwig, jpsdad, Zep
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Zep
Zep
People in Texas are getting ready for some cold weather on Monday.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Liked Replies
by Omaha
Omaha
Originally Posted by Zep
Originally Posted by Omaha
Supposed to be 19 below here on Monday. eek

I HATE both extremes with a passion, but I'm not moving to Cali!
But my goal is to live in LC, Colorado June-Sept.

This kinda cold is very rare out here.
2 members like this
by FireIsHot
FireIsHot
Sorry guys, I'm gonna have to go with the dark side guys north of the red river. Last summer beat me down with multiple triple digit heat days in the teens. Our heat pumps struggled to keep the house comfortable, bedtime temps near 90 for weeks, our chickens quit laying, the goats really struggled with the unmanageable heat, and I saw more guys bailing hay after dark then ever before. We're comfortable with these low temps after negative temps hit on Feb 19 2021, and we've got plenty of propane for the house, nonfreeze faucets for the critters, and split wood for the shop, to keep things warm. We "should" be able to skate through the next few days.

February 19, 2021.
8" of ice, and the first and only time I'll walk out on the pond.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
2 members like this
by gehajake
gehajake
-9 with -32 windchills here this morning, reasonably chilly, did go down to the farm yest to throw out a little corn for the turkeys, and was surprised to see the pond mostly open water still, just iced in in the coves and low wind areas, water almost white capping from the northwest wind so it might not freeze too fast that way. several trumpeter swans swimming around dipping their heads in the water and preening their feathers like it was 80 degrees.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
2 members like this
by nbell
nbell
In South Texas we are looking at the low 20s. It's been 4 years since my water has gotten cold enough to kill my TP. I caught one over 4 lbs last weekend. I hope it gets cold enough to get rid of them. I would love to get back to the 5 minuets my pond is not overpopulated.
1 member likes this
by FireIsHot
FireIsHot
Scott, when we left Nate's place, I gifted TJ and Tony my ice rods because I thought I'd never use them again. Who would have thunk it?
1 member likes this
by Dave Davidson1
Dave Davidson1
Wind is icy and in a hurry
1 member likes this
by Dave Davidson1
Dave Davidson1
11 here but was colder earlier. One of you guys up North need to come and get your weather back where it belongs
1 member likes this
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson1
11 here but was colder earlier. One of you guys up North need to come and get your weather back where it belongs

Dave, I want it back, it would warm things up a lot. We were -14.2°F on the thermometer this morning right before sunup, sitting at -8°F now. The only savings grace is that the wind died down to around 5 mph, or we'd all be froze. I have to get my warm clothes on and go check on the fish. I received a notice from the utility company that the power went out an hour ago and just came back on. If the plumbing shoving well water to the fish broke or froze, then they are all dead - I ain't going to mess with liquid water in these temps.

The snow drifts are packed so hard that the dogs can run across the tops of them and not break through the surface.
1 member likes this
by anthropic
anthropic
Originally Posted by FireIsHot
Ok, silly question for those of you that get cold weather like this most every year. How do you prep your house for negative temps? Is it the construction, or is it something y'all need to do yourselves?

My wife does silly stuff like open the cabinets around water pipes, leave faucets dripping, etc. I keep telling her the problem would be solved if we just measured winter temperatures in Fahrenheit, then use Celsius during the summer. Great savings on electricity! But does she listen???
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by SetterGuy - 04/29/24 07:02 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by Willy Wonka - 04/29/24 05:23 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM