Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,995
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (catscratch, Pat Williamson, gehajake), 1,370 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
anthropic, ewest, RossC
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by anthropic
anthropic
I have a trusted neighbor who recognized where the poachers came from, a log cabin structure down the road about a mile. I've notified the cops, the game warden, and my near neighbors. Put up another no trespassing sign on front gate, too. And I'm gonna buy some game cameras with good night vision so as to catch them in the act ifi they continue.

Here's my question: Would it be smart for me to put a notice of Texas penalties for trespassing into their mail box? No accusations, no return address, just let them know they are being watched. Up to six months in jail, $2,000 fine. The law even states that trespassing within 100 feet of freshwater is subject to double this punishment, 1 year in jail, $4k fine.

I'd rather them get scared and stop than catch them & press charges, which I definitely must do if they keep it up. And what if my good neighbor is wrong & they are innocent of any wrongdoing? Any thoughts?
Liked Replies
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Many states (including Texas) require that notice be posted warning of the trespass. I would post a few signs in prominent places besides the front gate such that any interlopers can be prosecuted because they cannot reasonably argue they never saw any signs. You might even be able to get pre-printed metal signs at Tractor Supply, etc. that are phrased appropriately for Texas.

So I think you are covered by "posting" your property.

Here is the Texas statute:

Texas Trespassing Law

As regards to giving them written notice, I think I would skip that option. Miscreants deal with offenses (real or imagined) in much different ways than normal, law abiding people. I would hate to see them get drunk one night and burn down the house.
2 members like this
by Sunil
Sunil
Such an important and variable situation.

Just thinking off the cuff, I'd want to learn more about the actual people before I did anything.

If they have no respect for the law, or private property, then I'd have to weigh what my, and my land's real risks are for what kind of retaliation they could inflict.

If they were reasonable people, I'd meet them and tell them I don't want them on the land.
1 member likes this
by DonoBBD
DonoBBD
I would put the notices in a bunch of mailboxes around your area. Just a simple reminder.
1 member likes this
by John Fitzgerald
John Fitzgerald
I think it's illegal to put anything in a mail box, unless delivered by the US mail employee in the performance of duties.

You could state the penalties on another sign, under the no trespassing sign. I think those signs are readily available.
1 member likes this
by Fishingadventure
Fishingadventure
IMO,Not an attorney, but former law Enforcement . Working as a Deputy Sheriff, worked with Postal Service Enforcement agents. You don't want to touch a Mail Box, yes you pay for it, but the moment it's put out for use, it becomes Postal Property. They do not allow non postal items to be placed in their boxes. Now, that was 47 years ago, laws change , but I wouldn't risk it. At that time they were very serious about their boxes.
1 member likes this
by Pat Williamson
Pat Williamson
Game warden tells me that fencing is enough warning
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by gehajake - 04/28/24 01:38 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM