Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,964
Posts558,005
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
3 members (teehjaeh57, anthropic, Snipe), 947 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
4CornersPuddle, Knobber, loretta, RAH
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by loretta
loretta
Is it ok to divert rain from a barn roof to a pond? Does it matter if it’s a metal roof or a shingled roof? I have a large building that’s shingled that I could use or my barn which has the typical metal roof. Are there downsides or hazards to my fish that I should consider? Has anyone done this that has any advice or recommendations? It’s an idea I’ve been mulling over for awhile. I want to bury the pipe and include a inline filter to catch debris if such a thing exists.
Thank you.
Liked Replies
by DrewSh
DrewSh
Instead of mesh bag filter/ cleanout, what about stopping the downspout just shy of the pond, digging a little trench to the pond and filling it with some limestone gravel for some natural filtration?
2 members like this
by Drago
Drago
I did this as well. To catch debris, I bought some mesh nylon bags on Amazon a little larger than the pipe. Just need to check/clean it every once in a while. It also helped stop small fish swimming up the pipe when the pond was near full and a lot of water was coming out of the pipe. Still amazed at how many made it into the pipe.
1 member likes this
by Fishingadventure
Fishingadventure
all of my buildings have steel rooves. Rainfall , snow melt from my buildings rooves ( 4 ) , drain to my upper 1.6 -1.8 Surface Acre
upper pond. No issues so far, Western Oklahoma , I don't waste free water. The little your roof supplies, I'm certain is diluted by your
natural surface drainage. No expert, but other than bird poo, can't see an issue.
1 member likes this
by canyoncreek
canyoncreek
Welcome back Loretta!! We missed you!! Glad you stopped back.

I can't help with this question except to say that gathering all the free water you can and diverting to the pond sounds great. I don't think you will need a tight filtration netting, a few stones from the roof won't hurt. You may need a larger 'trash trap' maybe with 1" gaps to catch the heavy mass of maple 'helicopter' seeds, or the heavy spring seed pods from Oak trees if they are overlying the roof as they do tend to build up in gutters in the spring.

How is your pond otherwise? How are your YP? are you stocking new things or just enjoying what you have?
1 member likes this
by Knobber
Knobber
loretta: I just did this from my barn to my pond. My shingled roof is pretty old, so there is no grit. I have no idea if it will make a difference (my pond volume is 3.35 acre-ft), but I guess every little bit helps.

The downside is that I had to invest in 300 ft of 4" corregated drain pipe. Some I bought new, some I bought used through Facebook Marketplace. This pipe is the most economical for long runs.

I will get around to burying it someday.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this
by volguy9595
volguy9595
I did that from my house to my pond, also have a geothermal open loop system on my house that uses well water for cooling and heating and then it drains into the pond too.
1 member likes this
by loretta
loretta
Knobbier, your picture looks so much like my yard 😁. I’ve used long runs of that corrugated pipe over the years, it doesn’t last long in the suns UV radiation, don’t wait too long to bury it. Thanks so much for your feedback!
1 member likes this
by loretta
loretta
Thanks Canyoncreek! I didn’t know if anyone would remember me, I wasn’t a huge poster, more of a reader and I learned so much here! Of all the forums I’ve been to this one is the friendliest with the best people. I’m having a little bit of trouble learning the site again.
1 member likes this
by Knobber
Knobber
Originally Posted by loretta
Knobbier, your picture looks so much like my yard 😁. I’ve used long runs of that corrugated pipe over the years, it doesn’t last long in the suns UV radiation, don’t wait too long to bury it. Thanks so much for your feedback!

Thanks for the tip on the UV!
1 member likes this
by 4CornersPuddle
4CornersPuddle
We remember you, loretta. You gave some interesting comments several times.
Welcome back to the forum. Don't leave again, ya' hear?
1 member likes this
by Knobber
Knobber
Originally Posted by loretta
Interesting comments, hmmm 🤔 , I hope that’s good 😁. I would love this comment instead of just like it if I could. I might putts around a while but this site is so slow for me, it takes a lot of time to load pages and it’s very time consuming for what I would like to do here. Maybe it’s my iPad? I didn’t have an iPad back then so I’m not sure. Is there an update that I need maybe? I’m open to suggestions to fix this.

It is not you nor your iPad. The site is slow, especially the last week or so.
1 member likes this
by Drago
Drago
Yes, the mesh bag has a draw string that I just tighten around the pipe. I also have a short rope connected to the end of the draw sting attached to a stake in case it was to come loose.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by Snipe - 04/28/24 11:22 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 04/28/24 10:44 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM