Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
4 members (Bill Cody, Fishingadventure, Waxaholic, Foozle), 1,098 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
anthropic, FishinRod
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#556727 03/27/2023 12:50 AM
by J. E. Craig
J. E. Craig
Goals: 1. self-sustaining Tilapia Population In pond.
2. Occasionally observe signs of the size & health of the population.

The Pond: 3 2/3-acre(surrounded by 10 homes) 30+ year old retention pond in Northeast FL. The pond has little to no structure & the only shelter is weeds along the bank & here & there in the center of the pond. The water is a murky green brown with visibility ending at 3 feet. The average depth is about 7-8 feet & maximum depth at approximately 12 feet. The water level is very stabile throughout the year. The pond’s original populations include LMB, CNBG, CGC, RES, MF, Eels, Br. Catfish, Bowfin, snails, mussels, clams, crayfish, shad, gold shiners. Regular visitors include River Otter, GBH, Anhinga, Osprey, Muscovy ducks & Canada Geese. In varying years TGC, & TP were added to the pond. Six-foot gators routinely take up residence & are eventually eliminated by the county gator trapper.
The 14-year Tilapia history: I have never seen the signs of a Tilapia weather kill. Never seen a school of Tilapia swimming in the warm shallows or warm surface water. Never seen an occasional Tilapia swimming near the bank. I have never caught a Tilapia, but never fished for one either. Never seen a male & female on a spawning bed. I have seen 2-3 Bull Tilapia 20+ inches on spawning beds in the warm shallows in the early Spring but never with or courting a female. The males display & chase each other away from their territory. Once the water warms, they disappear not to be seen again till the next early Spring. I have only observed one dead Tilapia, 23+ inches, old age I suppose. The buzzards quickly found him & feasted. This winter has been exceptionally warm, I have not seen these large tilapia on their beds ? This area of Florida has wild self-sustaining tilapia populations in some public ponds. How they got there no one is talking.

Past Tilapia Stockings:
Year # Size
09 300 2-3”
10 50 3-4”
11 600 2-3”
12 600 2-3”
13 400 2-3”
20 400 4-6”
21 400 4-6”

Except the “50” from Texas, all the fish were from a local fish farm managed & owned by an emeritus professor (fish were his specialty) & his family. It seemed to me that over the years with just a few mature fish surviving, I would have a noticeable population. I certainly though the larger fish would make a difference, although everything has remained the same. I thought they 4-6” were big enough to evade predators & soon begin reproducing. I do not see any change in the LMB either. I have not done relative weights.
I am not going to electro-fish. If I spend $ on anything it will be for more 4-6” Tilapia.

The answer is: ??
All is probably normal for your area. They are reclusive & you will very rarely see any of them. All are on the bottom out in the middle of the pond doing their thing. Just chill.

You have never stocked enough for your pond size & # of predators in any one year. Reduce predators & then stock X amount in any one season.

You have one particular problem that you have not addressed & it is _____.

Your comments & suggestions are much appreciated.
Liked Replies
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by J. E. Craig
All my foolish error!

I foolishly just added fish. I should have done an elementary survey of the Pond. I have not paid attention nor done much fishing the past few years, so I thought. Looking at past records it has been TEN years & the pond has drastically changed. The relative weights of the LMB are now 75% & below. I now understand that I have a skinny fishpond that must be rebalanced before any real changes will happen. I was just feeding some hungry fish a tilapia dinner. Once the relative weights are more near normal, I will re-formulate a new plan.

Here up North (Indiana) have to stock 40# of tilapia per surface acre to see a difference, and ideally that should be 6"-9" fish. It also makes a difference in what type of Tilapia you stock. IF you stock food grade tilapia, most of them will be males, and IF any pull off a spawn the offspring will be mostly male. You want to get a mix of 50/50 male/female.

The biggest hurtle you will have to cross is the bass stunting. I'd pull out between 30 and 40 pounds of bass per surface acre (of all sizes, even 5" fish) to get the predator base whittled down before stocking any other fish. IF you can convince the homeowners to spring for an electroshock survey, many bass can be removed at that time without angling.
2 members like this
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?