Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
gehajake, jludwig
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Finny
Finny
The emergency overflow on my pond has created a serious erosion problem called a headcut, which is a small creeping waterfall.
If not fixed, this erosion will evenually reach the pond and cause a much bigger problem. USDA is more into putting a larger pipe into the dam, and are not available right now anyway. Has anyone had any experience with this type of erosion ? I have some ideas like just dumping 12 to 15 tons of oversize white rock over the problem area or creating a concrete sturcture to direct the water flow over a spillway..
Liked Replies
by esshup
esshup
Years ago I read an article about how slow water had to flow over a grassy area to prevent erosion and cutting away of the soil. I cannot remember where I saw it, and I don't have the time now to do an extensive search for that information. That information IS out there, somewhere. I dont' know if it is in here or not.
https://damsafety.org/dam-owners/open-channel-spillways

i.e. if a 3' wide 6" deep flow of water was eroding the emergency spillway, making it 18' wide and only 1" deep would slow down the speed of the water flow and stop the erosion.

In any case, I would put the thickest geotextile fabric down on the ground before you put any rocks down, and make sure that the geotextile fabric is under the outflow of any drain pipe or culvert so the water won't go under it.

Off the top of my head I don't know what a 12" siphon pipe will equate to flow wise to an open discharge culvert. I know that a siphon will flow more water than a culvert.

Could you put a gate valve in the 12" siphon pipe to allow you to open/close it when required? Just throwing ideas out there. Let me get in touch with Rex and see if he can weigh in on this. He's done a lot of work with siphon systems, more than I have.
1 member likes this
by Finny
Finny
NRCS engineer is supposedly coming out to assess the situation. But, that was 3 weeks ago , so I can only guess if he will ever show up. However, my immediate concern is to fix the headcut erosion, otherwtse there won't be a pond . The dam pipe fix would most likely will need to wait until dry weather comes back, maybe even summer.
1 member likes this
by esshup
esshup
Originally Posted by Finny
NRCS engineer is supposedly coming out to assess the situation. But, that was 3 weeks ago , so I can only guess if he will ever show up. However, my immediate concern is to fix the headcut erosion, otherwtse there won't be a pond . The dam pipe fix would most likely will need to wait until dry weather comes back, maybe even summer.

With them, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Be nice, but call them back and try to set up an appointment date and time. If you don't hear back from them that day, call again tomorrow. You are paying for their services through your tax dollars, so you might as well get what you are paying for.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails