Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,125
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
15 members (Boondoggle, esshup, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg, Fishingadventure), 879 guests, and 198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Barracuda J, FishinRod
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#552407 09/26/2022 7:09 PM
by Barracuda J
Barracuda J
I've got a young pond stocked with bass in June that has a really good bluegill base and reproducing fathead minnows. I'm looking to expand the forage opportunities next spring. My pond is very clear but it has necessary nutrients and fish are thriving. I am not looking to fertilize my pond. I've read Threadfin are filtered feeders so in a clear, unfertilized pond would they survive and reproduce successfully? If not what other forage options can I add this spring? Thx
Liked Replies
#552408 Sep 26th a 08:13 PM
by canyoncreek
canyoncreek
If you can find a fish hauler nearby or can haul yourself, I think one of the best forage fish for bass in TX is(are) Tilapia! The fish themselves or their offspring make great forage opportunity. You probably can get a good price on the leftovers in the fall and I believe they will overwinter just fine in most areas of TX. If they don't overwinter, they will get sluggish as the water temps cool which might make them easier targets for the largest LMB.

Outside of that, I'm not an expert on southern ponds but always wondered why folks didn't set up mosquito fish as forage fish. It seems they are found almost everywhere and are pretty hardy even in hot conditions. It seems they could be the forage fish for the south that fathead minnows are in the north.
1 member likes this
#552412 Sep 27th a 02:56 AM
by anthropic
anthropic
Cuda, fathead minnows typically don't survive well after bass are stocked. Too slow to avoid a one way trip down the LMB gullet!

Threadfin shad and/or golden shiners tend to do better, though threadfins are vulnerable to cold winters. Tilapia are even more vulnerable, and in your area aren't likely to survive most winters. Texas doesn't want them reproducing, so mandates the most cold intolerant, Mozambique strain, be stocked.
1 member likes this
#552426 Sep 27th a 01:56 PM
by jpsdad
jpsdad
For additional forage I'll plus 1 the TP recs above. Though they have to be stocked each year they will consume resources that the BG are not and so can produce additional forage all other things being equal. Also, they tend to recycle nutrients that accumulate on the pond bottom. Give them some consideration.
1 member likes this
#552437 Sep 27th a 05:46 PM
by ewest
ewest
TShad need fertile water and open room (3 acres +). Lots on the forum about TShad. Agree with tilapia comments above.
1 member likes this
by catscratch
catscratch
Originally Posted by FishinRod
Originally Posted by catscratch
FishinRod, have you done tilapia in KS? I've been very interested in tilapia and shrimp but have yet to pull the trigger on trying either one.

I have not - because my three old ponds have too much water level variability for active fish management.

(I am rehabilitating them and digging new ponds when I can afford heavy equipment on site, but that is another story.)

However, I have followed lots of the tilapia discussions on the forum, and they certainly are an interesting "tool" to add to the pond management toolbox for Kansas ponds.

From what I remember about your pond goals, they might help out in your pond. The tilapia take their sustenance for growth out of a different food chain than the existing forage and predator fish utilize in your pond. I believe in Kansas, the tilapia offspring could in one season provide significant additional forage for your 1-3# bass, and the stockers would provide some additional forage (especially in the fall) to your 5-8# bass.

(I think you would enjoy/learn reading some of those threads when you are stuck at the computer this winter!)

P.S. Good to see you posting in the forum. I was a little worried about you ending up stuck beneath a concrete culvert in 5' of water. cry

Lol, the concrete culverts are still on bank. Haven't quite figured out how I'm going to position them yet. But I have done more to the pond. Lengthened stone/rubble point that I had started further into the pond and planning on some more structure. I've been lurking but not much to post about. Catching 21-22 inch bass once in a while. They are relatively fat for the summer we've had but not where I would like them. I may be asking too much in that department though.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:01 AM
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/29/24 07:47 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday