Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Fishingadventure), 883 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
azteca, FishinRod, Heppy, Jbbb, jludwig
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Jbbb
Jbbb
I have a ravine by the house that delivers a little rain water and ground water to my pond. During heavy storms there is standing water in the ravine but it's usually just mud. I want to build a foot bridge over it. I want to do this myself (with my brothers' help) and I would like to do it as simply and cheaply as possible. This bridge will be for pedestrians but I imagine the kids might ride a mini bike over it - no tractors or machinery. The span of the mud is about 23'; I would add about 10' to that (5' each side) if I secure this up the bank.
Trying to avoid having to support it in the middle as I'm not sure about driving posts in the mud, unless I wait until winter when I can walk on the surface.
Would like some opinions or suggestions before I decide on something alone. Most of my projects end up with me realizing there was a better way when I am already half way through it.
1. Considering using 2 telephone poles with deck boards going across it if I make a raised bridge.
2. Also thinking about a "floating" bridge though it would really just be laying in mud so not sure if that is a sound idea. I could build a frame with treated boards around plastic barrels. Not very pretty but functional.

Here are 2 pics of the area to give an idea of what I'm looking at. The bridge will span from point 1 to point 2, if that wasn't evident.
Attached Images
Liked Replies
by Zep
Zep
I have sort of the same issue...

This is all I have thus far...but it was free:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Kind of neat
3 members like this
by FireIsHot
FireIsHot
IMO, footed posts, and brackets are far easier than dealing with lumber, and the effort saved is well worth it. Just build your bridge panels the size you want them, then drop them on the brackets. Also, consider that floating bridges probably require moving/sliding sections on the banks as the water level rises and falls.

esshup and I have built 3 docks, and all three were with Tommy Docks hardware. Look specifically at the muck feet and galvanized posts. Also, unless something has recently changed, if bought through the big orange box store there's no shipping costs. If you're doing this manually, and won't move deck panels with a tractor, then deck the pressure treated frame once it's in position on the brackets. TD hardware
2 members like this
by FishinRod
FishinRod
That is a good looking pond with a little surrounding forest!

Can you easily lower the water level in the pond? If so, one option would be to pull the water level down about 2-3 feet and then throw out some plywood so you can work at your mud crossing. That would enable you to do a more traditional bridge with posts throughout the span.

That would be better looking, but certainly more work than just staking out the telephone poles. However, transportation on some 25' poles may cost more than the poles themselves (unless you have a long trailer).

Here is a link to Rusto's pond projects. He did a bridge last year over about that same span. I think his final product looks great, but his pond is just beyond the back deck of his house - so I am pretty sure his wife made the appearance part of the job requirements!

Rusto's Bridge (and other projects)

Scroll from 9/12/21 through 4/10/22.
1 member likes this
by Sunil
Sunil
Zep's first picture reminds me of a scene from the obstacle course in "Stripes."
1 member likes this
by gehajake
gehajake
Ive always pictured building a bridge out of the light trailer house frame Ibeams, you can cut the center struts and lap them over each other and make it pretty narrow, also if a person was real artistic you can cut a small v in the bottom of them in a couple places and bring that together and weld it creating an arched walkway, for possibly very little out of pocket expense, they will almost give you the trailer frames to get rid of them. obviously this is an easier project for someone with a welding and fabricating skills.
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM