Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,128
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
16 members (rjackson, esshup, jpsdad, Boondoggle, jbird5986, Sunil, Rick O, Angler8689, anthropic, Justin W, Bing, bstone261, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Shorthose, Freg), 946 guests, and 190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
FishinRod, garylayton, gehajake, RAH
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Jadog
Jadog
Hey guys. I have a 5 acre lake that we dug last summer and because there is not a high amount of runoff, it is slowly filling and is currently only about a third full. By my estimates, it may be two more years until it is full or even above the rock line. We have a ton of weeds that are growing in the bank and I'm wondering if we should spray that with roundup or if it will die on it's own when the water covers them. There are already plenty of rills in the banks from where the water has caused some erosion but the rocks sit inside of a pretty good shelf so I haven't been concerned about that.

My wife wants me to kill the weeds because she is concerned they will continue to grow underwater and we will have weeds around the shore underwater. But then I started thinking that maybe it would be better to leave them to prevent further erosion. So I thought I'd get opinions from some others who have a lot more knowledge on this topic than myself.
Liked Replies
by FireIsHot
FireIsHot
Turf is better than weeds, and weeds are better than dirt. I wouldn't kill them out until a more permanent option is ready to take over. Not sure what that would be in your area, but a state Ag office would be a good start.
1 member likes this
by FishinRod
FishinRod
For the most part, weeds that grow with air above their soil WILL NOT grow when submerged with water above their soil.

Personally, I would prefer to leave the weeds as erosion control for the time you finally get a frog strangler rain that runs hard into your pond.

Good luck on your new pond and finally getting sufficient rains to get it filled!
1 member likes this
by RAH
RAH
I would kill willow trees and just leave the rest. My 1.1 acre pond was predicted to fill the first winter, but filled up over a 2 day period just 2 weeks after it was completed due to a record rain, and the emergency spillway got tested as well. Nice to have it fill, but that water must have added a lot of silt . Glad that it did not come during construction!
1 member likes this
by RAH
RAH
Glad that you are wearing the proper PPE:)
1 member likes this
by Jadog
Jadog
I'll check to see if there are places that could benefit from additional coverage. Thanks for the feedback. Will the existing weeds just die as they are submerged?
1 member likes this
by gehajake
gehajake
Originally Posted by Jadog
I'll check to see if there are places that could benefit from additional coverage. Thanks for the feedback. Will the existing weeds just die as they are submerged?

Yes they will unless they are willows or something growing in there, which is highly doubtful because its liable to be hard clay with very little moisture or nutrient load. , and even those will not survive in too deep of water and are pretty easily killed if they do make it. If it were mine, on the weeds, if you had a way to brush-hog it really high, like 6" to 8" high, you could utilize the tops of the weeds as erosion control ground cover, held in place by the base of the plants, either way they will only be there till water covers them up
1 member likes this
by FishinRod
FishinRod
I agree with FireIsHot.

Maybe add some groundcover that attracts deer or supports some other goal for your property.

Plant a few small plots and see what does well, and then fill in larger portions with the winner.

P.S. On a project like that, I would have my wife pick some (or all) of the plants. I have noticed far more support for my "projects" when she has significant input! Also, two heads are better than one.
1 member likes this
by FishinRod
FishinRod
Originally Posted by RAH
I believe Tordon is restricted from use below the high-water mark. A wipe with an aquatic-approved glyphosate formulation with the "glove of death" works very well. You can Google "glove of death". Be sure to use a rubber glove that is impenetrable by pesticides and herbicides.

I am pretty sure that the usage instructions for the "glove of death" mandate that you wear a hooded black robe and carry a scythe when treating weeds in that manner!
1 member likes this
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 08:24 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Sunil - 03/29/24 07:31 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday